Would you want to re-sign Isiah McKenzie?

4 minutes ago, mushypeaches said:

Hard to see McKenzie on this team next year. 

Is he decent?  Yes

Is he replaceable at a lower salary?  Definitely yes

Dude makes 960k a year.  Can’t get too much lower than that.  

• Like (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think the move is sign him to a market rate deal but with minimal guarantee and then if a guy falls to you who you think can upgrade in the draft you pick him.

If we are going to be a 4 wides team at the frequency we have been this year this FO better be ready to pick a receiver somewhere in the first 4 rounds every single draft. The Pittsburgh model. Never stop stocking the position. 

This.  

We run 4 wide a ton, but only really have 4 WR’s on the typical active roster.  

Roberts is valuable, but I don’t want to see him out there running routes, and McKenzie is more of a gadget player.  

The #5 WR should be a speed guy who can eventually take over Brown’s role (imo).   I’d go as far as saying we should draft this guy in Round 1 or 2.  

Just now, Jauronimo said:

Hodgins does not fit McKenzie's role at all.  Hodgins is basically a slower Gabe Davis.  He's tall, not very fast, good routes, good hands and can get up to high point the ball.  You will never see Hodgins running a jet sweep or screen. 

I think Hodgins certainly has the potential of being the 5th receiver. You said a bunch of other stuff that I did not say anything about.

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think the move is sign him to a market rate deal but with minimal guarantee and then if a guy falls to you who you think can upgrade in the draft you pick him.

If we are going to be a 4 wides team at the frequency we have been this year this FO better be ready to pick a receiver somewhere in the first 4 rounds every single draft. The Pittsburgh model. Never stop stocking the position. 

While I see your point on this they may pass on the next draft depending on if they re-sign McKenzie and Roberts.

I'm also curious as to what OBD feels about extending Brown another season or two.

McKenzie is a good weapon.  He would be great in the slot, super quick and fast!  Definitely needs to be on this team.  I would not change a thing at WR position.  Jon Brown is one of the most underrated WR in the NFL.  Gab Davis shows lots of promise, and will continue to develop into a good WR.  Diggs has been fantastic!  Beasley great in the slot.  Don't change a thing!

I compare him to a Taysom Hill in a very specialized role but it’s one of those guys you think you would be fine without but would be a big loss if they left. In fact I think he could be used even more, maybe even a replacement for Andre Roberts as he is getting up there in age.

Sure, he’s cheap, and other teams don’t really cover him tightly when he plays receiver, ya can get a touchdown because of that 😁👍

Go Bills!!!

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

I like him, but think we should draft a speed WR early.   If we do, that likely means he takes McKenzie’s role.  

It’s quite obvious how important speed opposite Diggs is in this offense with Allen’s arm.   If Brown misses any time, as we’ve seen, we don’t really have anyone to play that role.  

We definitely need speed and we definitely need to keep adding it. I like McKenzie a lot at #5, he's a Buffalo Bill.

We have to love ok at getting younger there and keeping costs down but if we can sign him for vet min. I think half of his contract will no longer count against the cap (or, is he too young still?) and under those circumstances he would be a great signing.....

But make no mistake, the Bills have to keep their passing game getting better and better.....that means speed and WRs....

To sum up: I think we'll have a lot of wholes along the roster and we would maybe be better off filling those other ones and keeping McKenzie...

Just remember that JB's injury is one of the reasons JA minislumped....

1 hour ago, Jauronimo said:

Hodgins does not fit McKenzie's role at all.  Hodgins is basically a slower Gabe Davis.  He's tall, not very fast, good routes, good hands and can get up to high point the ball.  You will never see Hodgins running a jet sweep or screen. 

True, but the Bills drafted Hodgins and they will give him a chance to play, and there are only so many roster spots.

I would not have in the beginning of the season, but he has filled an important role in the offense.  Here's thought - Roberts has been a key special teams guy and I'm not against him, but if we could get McKenzie to perform that role, we could save a position.  I'm not sure why we haven't seen him give that a try.

40 minutes ago, VirginiaMike said:

I would not have in the beginning of the season, but he has filled an important role in the offense.  Here's thought - Roberts has been a key special teams guy and I'm not against him, but if we could get McKenzie to perform that role, we could save a position.  I'm not sure why we haven't seen him give that a try.

McKenzie has had fumble issues in past and it partly why Denver released him.  He had 6 muffed punts for Denver.

Had some for Bills as well; I think they were in preseason games.