Matt Hasselbeck on QB “intangibles” and Josh...

eball

15 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Good example to of this was the Chargers with Rivers or Brees, and they chose poorly.  Brees has it.  River's didnt.  Imagine if Brees had stayed in SD instead of Rivers, I think he wins more than one SB.  He had Tomlinson in his prime, there were some great defenses there, Antonio Gates, etc.  I really do think Brees wins more than 1 had he remained in SD with some of those rosters.  With the Saints, he has frequently been saddled with terrible defenses.  There were some Chargers teams that really should have made the SB, but that team didn't have anyone who could close games.  Brees closes games.  

Alpha, you make a point that I have thought about before and awhile ago and I absolutely don't understand why this doesn't come up as a discussion more in sports, and sports talk circles.

More often than not there are probably more articles about, "Buffalo whiffed on not taking Mahomes" than there are about the above.

Then again, let's call it like it is or was as there were more commentators saying that the Buffalo Bills might be a racist organization for not hiring a minority coach in the early aughts. Even though Donahoe wanted to hire Marvin Lewis so badly, but the family didn't want to come to Buffalo.  (I wanted Marvin Lewis as coach, too).

Meanwhile around the same time the Cowboys hire Bill Parcels with little indication of proof of adherence to the Rooney Rule * and nobody...NOBODY said a peep about it.  

...sorry, this has just always bugged me.

(*  later we were "told" that two minority candidates of limited real significant opportunity to actually get the job were quickly interviewed)

20 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Alpha, you make a point that I have thought about before and awhile ago and I absolutely don't understand why this doesn't come up as a discussion more in sports, and sports talk circles.

More often than not there are probably more articles about, "Buffalo whiffed on not taking Mahomes" than there are about the above.

Then again, let's call it like it is or was as there were more commentators saying that the Buffalo Bills might be a racist organization for not hiring a minority coach in the early aughts. Even though Donahoe wanted to hire Marvin Lewis so badly, but the family didn't want to come to Buffalo.  (I wanted Marvin Lewis as coach, too).

Meanwhile around the same time the Cowboys hire Bill Parcels with little indication of proof of adherence to the Rooney Rule * and nobody...NOBODY said a peep about it.  

...sorry, this has just always bugged me.

(*  later we were "told" that two minority candidates of limited real significant opportunity to actually get the job were quickly interviewed)

Yeah, its always surprised me too that the Brees vs Rivers decision in SD doesn't get more discussion.  Honestly, I think it is more to do with the fact that Rivers still had a stellar individual career, so its not as sexy when there is still success to some degree as opposed to if Rivers had never developed into a legit starter and they had let Brees go.  Its no secret the media loves stories where someone won big vs someone who lost big.  

And in the end, Brees didn't exactly have a ton more team success for the Saints outside the one SB given how for so many years the Saints were just not ever a complete team and always carried by Brees, especially defensively challenged most his time there.  So again, the discrepancy I think was never widespread enough for the media to talk about it more, but its honestly a very interesting subject and I think has a shot at one day being a 30 for 30 special or something.  

But I really like this topic, and I will argue that Brees did more with less than Rivers.  And had Brees not hurt his shoulder at the end of his last season there, I am not so sure the decision would have been as easy for SD.  More importantly, I think if Brees stays in SD, I really do feel like he would have accomplished even more than he did for the Saints.  I don't think he quite equals the same stats, I mean he has been in a high octane offense the whole time there under Payton, but he still would have put up gaudy stats I am sure and I think he may have one a couple of SB's at least with some of those rosters SD had over the years that choked in the playoffs.  

And yeah, I wanted Marvin Lewis back then too...badly actually.  So I was with you on that.  

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Yeah, its always surprised me too that the Brees vs Rivers decision in SD doesn't get more discussion.  Honestly, I think it is more to do with the fact that Rivers still had a stellar individual career, so its not as sexy when there is still success to some degree as opposed to if Rivers had never developed into a legit starter and they had let Brees go.  Its no secret the media loves stories where someone won big vs someone who lost big.  

And in the end, Brees didn't exactly have a ton more team success for the Saints outside the one SB given how for so many years the Saints were just not ever a complete team and always carried by Brees, especially defensively challenged most his time there.  So again, the discrepancy I think was never widespread enough for the media to talk about it more, but its honestly a very interesting subject and I think has a shot at one day being a 30 for 30 special or something.  

But I really like this topic, and I will argue that Brees did more with less than Rivers.  And had Brees not hurt his shoulder at the end of his last season there, I am not so sure the decision would have been as easy for SD.  More importantly, I think if Brees stays in SD, I really do feel like he would have accomplished even more than he did for the Saints.  I don't think he quite equals the same stats, I mean he has been in a high octane offense the whole time there under Payton, but he still would have put up gaudy stats I am sure and I think he may have one a couple of SB's at least with some of those rosters SD had over the years that choked in the playoffs.  

And yeah, I wanted Marvin Lewis back then too...badly actually.  So I was with you on that.  

As I live and breath, Alpha, the drought ends in the aughts with Lewis. 

Edit:  @Alphadawg7 and please, Alpha, the thumbs up was also for your great comments on Breeze and Rivers. 

A part of me back then was like, "yeah, but i still can't believe they are letting him go."

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

As I live and breath, Alpha, the draught ends in the aughts with Lewis. 

Edit:  @Alphadawg7 and please, Alpha, the thumbs up was also for your great comments on Breeze and Rivers. 

A part of me back then was like, "yeah, but i still can't believe they are letting him go."

Yeah agreed.  And I too back then was like WTF, they are gonna let Brees walk for an unproven rookie?  I thought they were crazy and I was pissed off when I thought he was going to Miami and thrilled when they stupidly passed on him.  I don't remember the exact timing, but if memory serves I feel like they passed on Brees because of the shoulder injury but then instead brought in Culpepper.  Maybe Culpepper was not the same year, but I just remember going how stupid that was to pass on Brees for an injury that he was recovered from and expected to have no on going issues with it.  

Glad Miami was stupid...Brees and Brady in our division would have been even worse than the nightmare we already had to endure with just Brady.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Yeah agreed.  And I too back then was like WTF, they are gonna let Brees walk for an unproven rookie?  I thought they were crazy and I was pissed off when I thought he was going to Miami and thrilled when they stupidly passed on him.  I don't remember the exact timing, but if memory serves I feel like they passed on Brees because of the shoulder injury but then instead brought in Culpepper.  Maybe Culpepper was not the same year, but I just remember going how stupid that was to pass on Brees for an injury that he was recovered from and expected to have no on going issues with it.  

Glad Miami was stupid...Brees and Brady in our division would have been even worse than the nightmare we already had to endure with just Brady.

That was exactly the reason - and then Culpepper ends up being a shell of his former self due to injuries. Oh the irony.

I still remember playing Miami with Culpepper the first time. I was very concerned that he was going to be the Culpepper of Minnesota/Moss/15-1 era.

It was like playing Drew Bledsoe...when he was at Buffalo and was outrun by the statue of Ralph Wilson...but without any receivers.

Thank goodness they passed on Drew Brees. Although...it might have made TB12 and Darth Hoodie not be the GOAT team they became.

Plus I like Drew Brees. That definitely wouldn't be the case if he'd played for the Dolphins.

• Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, timekills17 said:

That was exactly the reason - and then Culpepper ends up being a shell of his former self due to injuries. Oh the irony.

I still remember playing Miami with Culpepper the first time. I was very concerned that he was going to be the Culpepper of Minnesota/Moss/15-1 era.

It was like playing Drew Bledsoe...when he was at Buffalo and was outrun by the statue of Ralph Wilson...but without any receivers.

Thank goodness they passed on Drew Brees. Although...it might have made TB12 and Darth Hoodie not be the GOAT team they became.

Plus I like Drew Brees. That definitely wouldn't be the case if he'd played for the Dolphins.

hahaha yeah, all my same thoughts