the Old History of the Buffalo Bills

Chandler#81

A little deviation from our hectic current season. For guys like me (read OLD) who’ve been with the club from the beginning and saw them at War Memorial Stadium (read Rockpile), these cherished memories will ride with us to our final conscious thought. I count myself fortunate to have had my own season tickets from ‘87 through ‘95 -when I moved to Florida. 

Paul Macguire on teammate Booth Lustig getting beat up on Delaware Ave when 4 guys jumped out of a car for missing a game winning FG: “he shoulda made the kick”🤣

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 4

A lot of great memories there for me also. Thanks for posting.

My Dad and I attended many, many games at the old Rockpile including the two AFL Championship games. We finally had season tickets for the last few years at the old stadium, but then my Dad got transferred to Rochester. A couple years after that I graduated from HS and was off to college. We’d make it to occasional games at Rich stadium, but to me there was nothing like those games in the 60’s!

Every time I watch the movie “The Natural” and see the people walking up and down those ramps at the old War Memorial stadium it always stirs up the memories.

I think I see another Championship Game coming soon. Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Thank you! like a few oldtimers on here, i attended  my first game with my father at WMS in 1960 as an 8 yr old .and loved every inch, smell of the old place! When the Bisons came back in 1979 to play AA ball in the eastern league , went just because it gave me a chance to go to WMS again. Growing up in south Buffalo. i was able to ride my bike to the regency in Blasdell to watch them in camp.. again.. thanks for posting!

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

A little deviation from our hectic current season. For guys like me (read OLD) who’ve been with the club from the beginning and saw them at War Memorial Stadium (read Rockpile), these cherished memories will ride with us to our final conscious thought. I count myself fortunate to have had my own season tickets from ‘87 through ‘95 -when I moved to Florida. 

Paul Macguire on teammate Booth Lustig getting beat up on Delaware Ave when 4 guys jumped out of a car for missing a game winning FG: “he shoulda made the kick”🤣

Those are some great years for seasons tickets!

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Only game I went to at the Rockpile was  the second last game ever there(1972). Bills beat the 49er's  and John Brodie got hurt.Went to 5 games  in OJ's 2003 yd season.

Edited by Wacka

Went to one game at Rockpile as a kid. I got money from bottles and rather than spending on comics I decided to go to game.

It was a cold wet day and I had no bike lock so I walked from Steelton in Blasdell on Route 20a (about same distance as stadium) to the Rockpile.  I was on South Park (Route 62)  walking and had a person who knew me give me a ride to town of Blasdell but he was on the way to work.  Very long walk and took longer than I expected.  I could not find the ticket people said was available from scalpers and guy at gate told me let me check with friends.  He asked for a smoke and I said sorry I do not smoke so all I have are matches (wooden ones, I used to use to keep hands warm).  A buddy of his showed up later and he bummed some cigarettes but his friend was out of matches too.  He said no problem "my friend has" and I gave them both some matches.  A few very long minutes there was a guy going into stadium who he knew and he asked where his partner was and he said home so he asked if he still had other ticket and he said yes.  Asked if he could give to "his friend" and he said sure and gave him the ticket and went in.  Guy at gate said "Have fun and cheer for me" and gave me ticket.

• Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

My childhood memories of The Rockpile include the sight of kids chasing down extra points in a routine mosh pit end zone skirmish and the sound of beer bottles clanking as they rolled down the concrete steps....not kidding. Good times for sure!

My friend got an XP ball from the Rockpile.  We cherished that thing and used it all the time playing sandlot and street football.

What I find funny is nowadays it would sit on a shelf.

Sad to say but I never went to a Bills game at the Rockpile. I did see a couple of Bisons games there. I was a fan since day one watching them on TV growing up in Niagara Falls.  In another thread it is asked your favorite play in Bill’s history. I chose Mike Stratton’s hit on Keith Lincoln in the 1964 AFL championship game. I was there for the old history!