Would the Bills have turned it around under Ralph Wilson’s stewardship?

JetsFan20

Are you serious? Ralph was a great supporter of WNY, but he was cheap as hell. No way would McDermott or any other top prospect be coaching this team under Wilson. Plus, he meddled in football ops. So, whoever he hired on the cheap didn’t put up with it for long.

• Like (+1) 7

30 minutes ago, JetsFan20 said:

How much of an effect has the new ownership

had on the organization? 

Do you think Ralph would have hired McDermott and Beane and the results would be similar? 

Will the Jets turn it around under Woody? 😁

Mr. Wilson should get a lot of credit for many things. With different ownership the Bills would not still be in Buffalo. I'm not sure though that he'd have turned things around like we've see in the last few years. The Bills is much stronger now organizationally speaking with a really good GM that's given a lot of freedom and financial support.

• Like (+1) 4

Wilson likely would have never hired Whaley. I could also see him keeping Schwartz if Marrone still left. Meaning no Tyrod and likely more EJ Manuel and no Tyrod and when EJ fails after two or more seasons a veteran like Nick Foles. Also with no Whaley you'd think no Watkins trade up maybe we stay put and draft Beckham who we eventually trade since he doesn't like how he's used here. I think our path not be as well off as is now. Instead we'd likely be a preverbial middle of the pack team. 

Edited by The Jokeman

In the final years of Ralph's ownership it became obvious few reputable NFL HC and GM candidates wanted to work in Buffalo.  This was evidenced during the period in late 2009/January 2010 when the Bills were forced to hire 70 year old Buddy Nix for his first NFL GM gig who brought on Chan Gailey.  

This after Ralph decided to:

Re-sign Dick Jauron to a contract extension in 2008.  He proceeded to then go 2-8 to finish that season and was fired in mid 2009.  

Promote Russ Brandon multiple times, including to GM in 2008.  

Hire octogenarian Marv Levy as GM in 2006.  

Permit Jeff Littmann to, well, remain in the organization for years on end.

The Bills would not have attracted a HC and GM like McD and Beane to OBD in a RW owned franchise.  Very little chance of success given the lack of investment into the team as what occurred from around 2006-2014.  

Edited by BillsVet
  • Like (+1) 4

Historically speaking the only time Ralph really had success is when he had someone other than himself run the show.  So your answer is very likely a resounding no. Ralph’s biggest and best attribute was keeping the team in Buffalo.  God rest his soul.

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 3

21 minutes ago, BuffAlone said:

Ralph Wilson turned it ON. Now it's Terry and Kim's job to turn it around. Much respect for both

I'd go as far as to say they've ALREADY turned it around don't you think?  This organization is trending straight upwards as far as I'm concerned, and from the looks of things, I expect it to continue that way.  

Remember when we used to be so bad, we had to pay the big name free agents a gozillion dollars to come to Buffalo?  Now they WANT to come here, and from the looks of things, they're going to WANT to come here specifically to play with Josh Allen 👍

29 minutes ago, BuffAlone said:

Ralph Wilson turned it ON. Now it's Terry and Kim's job to turn it around. Much respect for both

I think Terry and Kim have ALREADY turned it around.  This organization is trending straight upwards and from the looks of things, I expect it to continue to do the same. 

Big things man, big things....

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JetsFan20 said:

How much of an effect has the new ownership

had on the organization? 

Do you think Ralph would have hired McDermott and Beane and the results would be similar? 

Some people measure how great of an owner Ralph Wilson was based on his will to keep the team in Buffalo.

I'm not one of those people.  He wasn't a good NFL owner and he could have lived to be 200 years old and the Bills would never win a Super Bowl.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

For as much as I admire Mr. Wilson, towards the end, he was hiring just loyalists and friends. I think the Donahoe/Williams era really made him very bitter.

If winning happened, great, but it wasn't the top objective in filling positions. 

Excellent question, btw.

Edited by dpberr
  • Like (+1) 1