Former Bills QB Matt Cassell - crazy story about Todd Haley

dave mcbride

I had a coach in a wooden back summer league when I was in college do this at 3rd base.

If a hitter missed a sign or he swung on a bad pitch or something he didn't like...he would stop coaching.  He wouldn't even look at the hitter, he would turn his head.  If a runner is on base, he wouldn't know what to do either.

I don't remember this game but that is wild. Looking at the box score, Cassell had a pretty good day. Winning the game, 3 TD's, no picks, highly efficient at 300+ yards on 34 throws. Seems like the OC and starting QB were on the same page. What a weird sequence of events. 

Todd Haley's response:

Coaching is coaching. MC had his best year of his illustrious career with me! Not always fun but key is to get the best out of “the” player. #woody #toystory https://t.co/zpvFRzJxjm

— Todd Haley (@thetoddhaley) November 10, 2020

He takes a stab at Cassell because he thinks Matt looks like Woody from Toy Story.   🤣

• Like (+1) 1

I remember thinking it was pretty funny when Hue Jackson was about to get fired in Cleveland & Haley thought he was in contention to replace him.  Instead not only did they go with Gregg-o but Haley got fired with Jackson the same day.  

Haley's head coaching career was a little better than Josh McDaniels, but they both lost their teams & got fired during the season.  I still don't get why any team would give McDaniels another shot considering how horrible he was in Denver.  He even pushed for them to draft Tim Tebow.  

• Like (+1) 1

I don’t know.  Cassel comes across as a prick here also.  If the OC is calling a running play, that’s the ay unless the Hc overrules it or the QB has permission to change it.  

Also, just running back on the field?

Don’t get me wrong Haley is a jerk, but Cassel seems in the wrong here also.  

1 hour ago, jabu said:

Todd Haley's response:

Coaching is coaching. MC had his best year of his illustrious career with me! Not always fun but key is to get the best out of “the” player. #woody #toystory https://t.co/zpvFRzJxjm

He takes a stab at Cassell because he thinks Matt looks like Woody from Toy Story.   🤣

He does, no?  Not defending Haley, just saying - not a terrible look.

1 hour ago, jabu said:

Todd Haley's response:

Huh.  And here I thought by most metrics, it woulda been 2008 with Bill Belicheck in NE (click to embiggen).  Higher completion %, more YPG, more Y/A...I guess he had more TDs and fewer INT in KC, so that's something...won the same # of games though

image.thumb.png.231d9195408eab800619f745f8dfd9be.png

2 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Listening to some of his interactions with players, he seems to be where he'll have the most impact - haranguing high school players in Sarasota Florida as an offensive coordinator.

HA! He is working for Josh Smithers who coached our sons in football and weightlifting! We consider him a family friend. Great guy! And Jared Clark was our younger son’s QB coach at Cardinal Mooney. Played at Notre Dame but didn’t realize he was now HC at Mooney. We could hear the marching band from home at halftime of those Riverview games!  THIS is my turf! 

Urban Myer also lives on Siesta Key. Lots of football knowledge down there. Sat with some guys from a Tampa school at a game they were scouting for an upcoming game. They had a former NFL player coaching on every single position. 

Good luck keeping that nut job under control, Josh! 

2 hours ago, jabu said:

Todd Haley's response:

He’s not wrong.  Just missing the cowboy hat.