Milano contract

JAC'dUp

I like Milano. I would not resign him. Some players are just injury prone. Its a gamble to assume the rest of his career may be like this but at this point its a reasonable gamble. He gets dinged up too easily. It sucks bc we have plenty of holes to fill without creating more, but availability in the NFL is critical

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Transition tag could be an option if they can't come to an agreement.

Why would they transition tag a guy who misses chunks of every season? 

3 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

My priority re-signings in order are

1) Feliciano

2)D. Williams

3) Roberts

4) Milano

Big drops between 1 and 2 and 3/4. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, shoshin said:

Why would they transition tag a guy who misses chunks of every season? 

This is the first season he's missed multiple games.  You can match any offer and if nobody offers him a contract it's basically a one year prove it deal.

I like Milano. He was considered a tweener and really was a lotto ticket that provided a surprising return.

Now to negotiations.

Is he a starter? Yes

Does he look a lot better than he is because the Bills are a very weak overall linebacker group? Yes.

Is he slightly above an average starting NFL linebacker? Probably slightly.

Cut one of the underperforming defensive lineman and give that to Milano. About 6 million a year for 4 years. No more or less in years or AAV.

I've cut bait on Milano for quite some time now. I like the guy but its just too frustrating watching him out or even worse playing hurt. The guy just can't stay healthy and should not warrant a long term contract. 1 year prove it deal if it was up to me. Let some other team gamble on his availability.

On 11/10/2020 at 2:35 PM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don't think they switched roles exactly.  But I think Frazier re-distributed responsibilities to put more of the coverage on the DBs and to create a role for Klein more suited for his skills instead of trying to plug Klein into Milano's role which was clearly a square peg/round hole mis-fit.

Edit: Leslie Frazier presser this week.  12:40 in: in response to a @john wawrow question (good question - props to Bathrobe Guy!), Leslie Frazier flat out said that part of what the defense has done to develop is "learning to play without Matt Milano".  He acknowledged "we were so reliant on him in so many ways that we did things in the past" and "we've had to adapt and adjust". 

So this observation that Frazier has re-distributed responsibilities to create a role for Klein more suited to his skills, has apparently been confirmed by Frazier.

Going back to the OP topic, the degree of success for the Bills D for the next games (without Milano), then, as well as when he comes back, may strongly influence what the Bills decide to do with regard to his contract.  If Frazier is able to continue to have some defensive success without Milano, perhaps with LB skills that are more common to find, I could see them saying "love ya Matt, best wishes!".  If it turns out they can be adequate without him, but "level up" when he's back, that would put a different view.

On 11/11/2020 at 12:13 AM, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Milano likely comes back on a 1 year deal. Next year isn't going to be a free agent friendly year. 

How so?

Very surprised at the number of people saying we cut bait.

Having athletic linebackers like Matt Milano is an absolutely essential piece to the McDermott/Frazier defense.  I believe Milano's extended absence is another reason we are struggling on that side of the ball this year.  Our gameplan against Seattle was brilliant, and we did a great job of using AJ Klein as a blitzer.  But eventually teams will catch-on to that tactic, and we will need someone at LB who is more versatile. 

If our biggest concern is health, I say the Bills offer an incentive-laden deal that gives bonuses for staying injury free.

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/10/2020 at 8:32 PM, Estro said:

Milano is far and away our best LB and when he's on the field and healthy our defense is much better.

The downside is he has missed a lot of games and has had a lot of soft tissue injuries, particularly hamstring pulls.  Major injuries are kind of luck l, but soft tissue injuries can be a sign of injury prone.  

The Bills will have a decision to make......is he worth the $12-13M he will seek on the open market and will the Bills value him at that #?

I'm not sure they will given his injury history, but with a tightening cap next year I'm not sure thr rest of the league will value him at that #.  I think its possible another team with a crapload of space could throw a 4yr - $50M deal at Milano and I'm not sure the Bills would match that.....but I also think it might be in Milanos best interest to take a 1 yr deal and hit FA when the cap normalizes.  If that's the case I could see thr Bills & Milano agreeing to a $6-8M 1 year deal with active game incentives to protect the team from any injuries.

Truth be told I was a huge proponent of resigning Milano a few weeks ago, but I'm not as certain anymore.  With the philosophy of having to outscore the best teams, perhaps you replace him with a draft pick and allocate the saved money back into the offense

BTW a guy I have my eye on for next yrs draft is OLB, Zaven Collins, Tulsa.  Looks like a really nice player, probably would need to spend a 1st rounder on him.

BUMP

Zaven Collins #23, Tulsa, LB

On ESPN now.  Looking good