Milano contract

JAC'dUp

Thoughts on whether the Bills can reach a more reasonable contract with Matt Milano after an injury riddled season? Seems like his being off the radar for much of 2020 should drive down his price tag.

Edited by JAC'dUp

Joe Marino of Locked On Bills brought up an interesting point today. He got a question about why Klein looked so improved. Joe said up front he wants to watch film but his first thought was Edmunds and Klein switched. Meaning, Klein played Edmunds role and Edmunds played Milano’s. Interesting if so, because I thought they both had much improved games. 

Edited by atlbillsfan1975
  • Like (+1) 13

Milano is losing money by the week.  In total he has played in 87% of games he was available to play in since he was drafted.   On talent alone he probably is a $12 to $13 Million dollar a year linebacker, but no way you pay a guy who cant stay healthy that sort of money.  With the cap projected at $175 Million, the Bills would be 22 Million over the cap after paying draft picks and adding practice squad players to the roster (Yes,  I know only the top 50 players count against the cap.  So 22 is a little high).  

With the cap so low, you're probably better off to try and draft players to replace guys like Milano and Daryl Williams.  That said, I wouldnt offer Milano more than 8.9 million a year.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Buffalo619 said:

I think we let him walk. He is just too injury proned to be considered for a contract extension. 

Draft a LB in first round.   

Heck Milano was a 5th rounded who was starting by middle of his first season IIRC. 
Stud LB’ers can be found in rounds two and three without taking a big chance on the pick. 

5 minutes ago, JAC'dUp said:

Thoughts on whether the Bills can reach a more reasonable contract with Matt Milano after an injury riddled season? Seems like his being off the radar for much of 2020 should drive down his price tag.

That's a huge "it depends"

Certainly not being available and playing well to put tape out for other teams is going to lower his market value.

On the other hand...if he comes back healthy and plays well, he'll get offers.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Joe Marino of Locked On Bills brought up an interesting point today. He got a question about why Klein looked so improved. Joe said up front he wants to watch film but his first thought was Edmunds and Klein switched. Meaning, Klein played Edmunds role and Edmunds played Milano’s. Interesting if so because I thought they both had much improved games. 

I head that too. I also noticed it during the game a couple times 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Joe Marino of Locked On Bills brought up an interesting point today. He got a question about why Klein looked so improved. Joe said up front he wants to watch film but his first thought was Edmunds and Klein switched. Meaning, Klein played Edmunds role and Edmunds played Milano’s. Interesting if so because I thought they both had much improved games.

I don't think they switched roles exactly.  But I think Frazier re-distributed responsibilities to put more of the coverage on the DBs and to create a role for Klein more suited for his skills instead of trying to plug Klein into Milano's role which was clearly a square peg/round hole mis-fit.

• Like (+1) 7

8 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

This would be pretty eye opening.  The idea is strengthened by the fact that Milano went to IR. 

I could never be comfortable giving him a huge contract. He's great, but if you have to replace him for 3-4 games a year...well, now you've got to pay (or invest draft capital) for a high quality backup too. 

Great player, seems like a great guy, the exact type of player I think you *should* pay, but his injuries seem to be increasing year by year so not only do you have the "Is he gonna play question?", but how long before these injuries affect the quality and not just the quantity of his play?

5 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Milano is losing money by the week.  In total he has played in 87% of games he was available to play in since he was drafted.   On talent alone he probably is a $12 to $13 Million dollar a year linebacker, but no way you pay a guy who cant stay healthy that sort of money.  With the cap projected at $175 Million, the Bills would be 22 Million over the cap after paying draft picks and adding practice squad players to the roster (Yes,  I know only the top 50 players count against the cap.  So 22 is a little high).  

With the cap so low, you're probably better off to try and draft players to replace guys like Milano and Daryl Williams.  That said, I wouldnt offer Milano more than 8.9 million a year.

The market for WLB's in the NFL is nowhere near 12-13M per.  I know people have read that here and translated it to fact, but it's TBD narrative/fiction now.

Bills fans, after about 20 years, need to grasp that some positions and some players will not be re-signed.  You start finding enough talent and it'll squeeze other areas of the roster.  

This is why the draft is so important when you put together a better roster.  With fewer needs, drafting is harder because you're not looking to improve all these areas like the 2001-circa 2015 Bills had to.

LB, S, G, RB, and perhaps 1T DT are positions that they'll need to replace in the draft so they can afford to keep guys like Allen, Diggs, and the now re-signed Dawkins and Tre.  

Ain't gonna have enough for every home-grown player.  Particularly at the aforementioned positions because it's not as value-added to producing wins. 

Just now, BillsVet said:

The market for WLB's in the NFL is nowhere near 12-13M per.  I know people have read that here and translated it to fact, but it's TBD narrative/fiction now.

Bills fans, after about 20 years, need to grasp that some positions and some players will not be re-signed.  You start finding enough talent and it'll squeeze other areas of the roster.  

This is why the draft is so important when you put together a better roster.  With fewer needs, drafting is harder because you're not looking to improve all these areas like the 2001-circa 2015 Bills had to.

LB, S, G, RB, and perhaps 1T DT are positions that they'll need to replace in the draft so they can afford to keep guys like Allen, Diggs, and the now re-signed Dawkins and Tre.  

Ain't gonna have enough for every home-grown player.  Particularly at the aforementioned positions because it's not as value-added to producing wins. 

I mean you can go ahead and check the contracts at overthecap and spotrac and see for yourself that its not just conjecture.   Shaq Thompson, who was playing the exact role Milano is in McDermott's defense got paid that exact amount of money.   If Milano was healthy, and the cap stayed at 198.2, not impacted by COVID, I think they rush to resign him.

I am sorry but this idea that you cant pay your top talent is crazy.  Look at the Chiefs for instance, they have paid Mahomes, Watkins, Kelce, Chris Jones, Frank Clark, and Tyreek Hill.   You pay your best players if you can circumvent the cap, which a lot of teams do by paying roster bonuses.  Milano's issues isnt the money, its his availability.

• Like (+1) 1

I think we will see a similar situation like we had with lawson. 
I think Beane will let him test the market to see his value. 

Milano is a good player, but I’m not sure he’s going to command a ton on the open market. Especially given the reduced salary cap. 
His value in this defense is so much higher than it would be in some others. 

• Like (+1) 2

I’d tell him to shop himself around and give the Bills the chance to match any offer he gets.  But I think the wisest move would be to slide him into Milano’s spot and look for a true middle linebacker.

Edited by Doc
  • Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

This was actually my gut instinct as well. I cut the chord so don't have a DVR and have not looked back at the game online yet. Unsure if my feels=reels.

I noticed Klein and Edmunds being at the point of attack. Even yelling "yeah Klein" at my screen. Normally I see Edmunds behind a play making a tackle or chasing. Sunday he was in front of it. 

20 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Heck Milano was a 5th rounded who was starting by middle of his first season IIRC. 
Stud LB’ers can be found in rounds two and three without taking a big chance on the pick. 

They can but we might want a stud to replace Milano because we might end up getting a sub par athlete to replace Edmunds in two seasons. It's all about balancing the roster, personally I'd prefer we go after a stud TE in Round 1 next year (see Kyle Pitts) and look for a good LB/CB in Round 2/3 of the draft. 

I would not offer more than a 1 year 7M, fully guaranteed deal.  Take it or leave it.  He’s talented, but the injuries are more and more frequent, he’s undersized for the league and this is exactly why there is a prototype.   He has not been able to shed the tag of too small, which only comes when you play big and don’t get hurt.  I like him, he’s the best Lb on the squad, when healthy, but availability is just as big as talent. 

• Like (+1) 2

27 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Much improved being an understatement