Allen 3rd highest on target rate of all QBs in the NFL this year

Big Turk

Allen has dramatically increased his on target percentage this year, ranking third in the NFL behind only Drew Brees(84.2%) and Teddy Bridgewater(83.5%) at 81.4%. Last year he was 21st in this metric at 73.2%.

image.thumb.png.3087fbe9e167d1ed90f1e14db29f6a0a.png

Even more impressive is that Allen's average Intended Air Yards are significantly higher than either Bridgewater or Brees.  Allen's average pass travels 8.5 yards, tied for 9th highest in the NFL while Bridgewater's average is 6.7, good for 28th and Brees is dead last in the NFL at 5.5.  These QB's are throwing a lot more checkdowns and other assorted quick throws than Allen is, which have a much higher completion percentage.

image.thumb.png.b09b36f94db50d90211c9f2c3c894d9e.png

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

He's having a fantastic 3rd year and it's a lot of fun to watch.  Even in the Jets and Pats games, though the scoreboard was not exactly on fire, I thought Josh was very accurate and took what the D gave him.  He's starting to figure out how to win those games after being surprised by the Titans. 

IMO his performance vs the Seahawks made it clear as day we finally have the QB we've all been waiting for since JK retired in 1996.  I still remember watching that press conference on t.v. and thinking how I couldn't wait for them to plug in the next QB and get to winning games again.  Apparently it just ain't that easy.   But, finally, that time has arrived.

Edited by Distorted One
  • Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, CircleTheWagons99 said:

Not 1 MVP vote. 

You’re definitely right. 

There’s a 0% chance Josh gets any type of MVP love this year. I just don’t see the voters doing it. 

Mahomes, Wilson and Rodgers will get the love. Not that it’s wrong or anything... Josh just won’t get that recognition even if he deserves it. 

12 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

You’re definitely right. 

There’s a 0% chance Josh gets any type of MVP love this year. I just don’t see the voters doing it. 

Mahomes, Wilson and Rodgers will get the love. Not that it’s wrong or anything... Josh just won’t get that recognition even if he deserves it. 

But interestingly, Josh had a higher on target rate on short and medium passes last year than MVP Lamar Jackson.

9 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

Apples and oranges as they played in different eras. Kelly had 403 in the infamous “no punt” game.

And in Jimbo's era you could just beat the snot out of a QB.  I remember when Bruce knocked out Boomer Esiason when he played for the Jets on the frozen turf at the Ralph.  Just crushed his head into the ground.  Don't even think there was a penalty called.  Entirely different game today.  But Josh Allen would have played well then also.  He is a tough guy who loves the physicality of the game.  

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

And in Jimbo's era you could just beat the snot out of a QB.  I remember when Bruce knocked out Boomer Esiason when he played for the Jets on the frozen turf at the Ralph.  Just crushed his head into the ground.  Don't even think there was a penalty called.  Entirely different game today.  But Josh Allen would have played well then also.  He is a tough guy who loves the physicality of the game.  

And beat the hell out of the receivers too, all the way down the field.

Illegal contact?  What the hell was that?

Defensive holding? Umm...nope.

DPI?  Haha...

Edited by matter2003

15 minutes ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

Yeah some of these “roughing the passer” calls in today’s game are hard to take. I understand why the rules were changed but it has to be really hard for the players on D to avoid some of these supposed penalty hits.

2 hours ago, dma0034 said:

Guess who we should planning which QB we are taking in the first round next year. There is a wise saying: If you ain't first, you're last

There's another old saying.

Don't smoke crack.

PFFfffffffffftttt. Can’t be true. 

this data set is incredible.  I know on target vs not is subjective. But it suggests not only has he defeated the argument that his college accuracy was uncorrectable.  He may actually have ELITE accuracy at this point. And he’s still developing.

bravo mcbeane.   

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood
  • Like (+1) 2