Allen is the second most blitzed QB in the NFL after Daniel Jones

Big Turk

Teams have blitzed Allen 131 times, which trails only Daniel Jones of the Giants who has been blitzed 141 times.

However, teams may want to reconsider their tactics considering Allen is among the best in the NFL when being blitzed, posting a QB Rating of 114.0 to go with 9 TDs, 1 INT and only 4 sacks with a completion percentage of 61.6% and a YPA of 7.3...

Against Seattle he was 19 of 24 for 259 yards and 2 TDs.

Last year he was not that great against the blitz, posting more pedestrian numbers: 74.9 passer rating, 9 touchdowns, 4 interceptions, a 50.3 completion percent, 5.5 yards per attempt, and 20 sacks on 185 drop backs (11 percent).

image.thumb.png.9962888a07f7982c020340af18c112e9.png

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

It has been Josh's weakness since the start. Get him rattled, and he starts doing crazy, dangerous things.

The Seattle game was crazy, seemed like they were blitzing on every play. The nice thing is that Josh seems to be coming around. Recognizing pressure, getting rid of the ball, making defenses pay. He still tries to do too much at times, and it's what led to the 7 sacks last week, but you have to be pleased at how he has come along this year in particular with blitzes/pressure.

To me that means the league thinks the mental aspect of the game is where Allen is weak.

Guys who know where the ball is going pre-snap and can get it there quickly and reliably are not blitzed that heavily b/c the blitz will just hurt the defending team.

If that many people are doing it it means someone (on film) did it successfully and everyone else is copying the success of that plan.  So it probably worked well at some point.

Allen has clearly showed sings of mental progression in his game though.

I think Bills fans could take it as a positive if we see the rate of opposition blitzes declining as time goes on.

• Like (+1) 1

With the lack of holding calls, almost no team is able to generate enough pressure with just their front four.  Combine that with quick passing game and the only way to stop NFL offenses, is to keep bring extra rushers and odd man rushes.  On the strip sack by Klein, Hughes was standing up over the center and backed into coverage.  Teams need to be creative with their rushes.  Adams blew up the Bills a few times.  Also teams are getting better at timing their rushes based off the play clock winding down

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Rubes said:

It has been Josh's weakness since the start. Get him rattled, and he starts doing crazy, dangerous things

It's the weakness of every QB that has ever played football from a 3rd string pee-wee player to Tom Brady, Joe Montana, Johnny U, Peyton, Brees et al.

The entire point of blitzing is to make QBs do crazy, dangerous things or to sack them.

Edited by BullBuchanan

6 minutes ago, ProcessAccepted said:

I think that'll change. Allen's getting better against the blitz and making team pay.

Getting better?  He has a higher QB rating against the blitz this year than when teams don't blitz...

He might be the best in the NFL, not sure where to find these stats from.

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, H2o said:

Pressure is the key to throwing off any QB, as you saw with us and Russell Wilson this past weekend. I don't expect it to stop, I just hope that Allen continues his progression in adapting to it. :thumbsup:

Taking QBs to the ground is the key to throwing off any QB. 

6 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Getting better?  He has a higher QB rating against the blitz this year than when teams don't blitz...

He might be the best in the NFL, not sure where to find these stats from.

Getting better for sure. The quick pass to Moss on Sunday was a thing of beauty. He still takes more sacks than he should but his reads and reactions are getting a lot quicker. The kid just keeps getting better and honestly I do not see a ceiling for him yet. 

21 minutes ago, die hard bills fan said:

I hope the stats reflect not just Allen but whole offense better against the blitz.  Allen is not on an island alone. Needs OC to recognize this and call plays, o-line and rb to pickup rushers,  wr to recognize and cut short route etc. 

The OC doesn't recognize a blitz, the QB does.  The OC calls a play or potentially 2 plays and then it is up to the QB to get them into the proper call based on what the D is showing him.

2 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

It's the weakness of every QB that has ever played football from a 3rd string pee-wee player to Tom Brady, Joe Montana, Johnny U, Peyton, Brees et al.

The entire point of blitzing is to make QBs do crazy, dangerous things or to sack them.

True, it's just that it's taken Allen a bit longer to learn things like throwing the ball away, sliding on a run, or not throwing back across his body into coverage.

There were still questions about this at the beginning of the season, but he's really done a great job minimizing those things.

3 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

To me that means the league thinks the mental aspect of the game is where Allen is weak.

Guys who know where the ball is going pre-snap and can get it there quickly and reliably are not blitzed that heavily b/c the blitz will just hurt the defending team.

If that many people are doing it it means someone (on film) did it successfully and everyone else is copying the success of that plan.  So it probably worked well at some point.

Allen has clearly showed sings of mental progression in his game though.

I think Bills fans could take it as a positive if we see the rate of opposition blitzes declining as time goes on.

It also comes down to opponents and scheme. We faced Gregg Williams, who has a blitz happy scheme. We also faced the Seahawks who literally had nothing else on defense to do because they were getting gashed no matter what.

In the past the recipe to stop Allen is to NOT blitz but to contain him in the pocket and rally to him when he decides to run. Force him to stay in the pocket and be a QB. That recipe has clearly changed. Teams are now afraid of keeping him in the pocket because he CAN be a QB and make throws. So they blitz him and/or drop into coverage (NE routinely had 7 DB's on the field to try to take away the pass).