Bills have run the most play action passes in the NFL this year...

Big Turk

With 107...

Granted the next 2 teams on the list, the LA Rams with 105 and Tennessee Titans with 96 have only played 8 games, but we will still be in the top 3 even after they play their 9th game...pretty crazy considering we were 20th last year...

In fact, we have already ran more play action this year than all of last year(107 this year to 105 last year). We also have the most yards off play action by almost 100 yards over the Rams(975 to 891)...

Very interesting new wrinkle Daboll has added...

• Like (+1) 3

Problem as I see it though, is play action is most successful when an offense has proven its effectiveness running the ball. Thus, fake what they’re anticipating, slow the pass rush a second and throw over top of them. Just because Pete Carroll doesn’t have a clue doesn’t mean every football team from the League -& WNY High Schools, for that matter- don’t get it.

If ‘your team’ only runs 5X in a half, I’m comin’ after yer QB EVERY DAMN PLAY! Run be damned.

I don’t get it🤷‍♂️

I have always looked at play action like pre-snap motion.  It gives defenders one more thing to account for and process at the beginning of the play and can slow their reaction time by a split second giving the offense an advantage.  That slight hesitation on the part of a defender can be the difference between a play hitting big or being blown up.   Statistics show that play action passes have a significantly higher completion percentage than passing plays without it.   I've never understood why offensive coordinators don't include play action or pre-snap motion in every play they can.  I'm glad Daboll has made them a feature of our offense this year.  I think it has been paying dividends.

Edited by Inigo Montoya
  • Like (+1) 2

Does the casual fan underestimate the added difficulty of running a play action adds to the quarterback?

Essentially you turn your back to the field of play, and have about ~30% less time to see things and make the throw.  Allen is in year 3, and the play action is obviously not only decided to be used because our run game strikes fear into our opponents...  I look at it as another development aspect that Allen continues to grow.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Problem as I see it though, is play action is most successful when an offense has proven its effectiveness running the ball. Thus, fake what they’re anticipating, slow the pass rush a second and throw over top of them. Just because Pete Carroll doesn’t have a clue doesn’t mean every football team from the League -& WNY High Schools, for that matter- don’t get it.

If ‘your team’ only runs 5X in a half, I’m comin’ after yer QB EVERY DAMN PLAY! Run be damned.

I don’t get it🤷‍♂️

That's not actually true, though. The threat of the run (play action) is usually enough to freeze the linebackers for a split second. It's instinctive and they can't help it.

• Like (+1) 2

I'm totally onboard with any pre-snap motion or wrinkle that's designed to confuse or slow the defense.

For way too long, we ran offenses that didn't challenge or weren't diverse enough

It's so refreshing to be on the FRONT end of trends these days and leading the lead in positive offensive stats

This, more than most anything else, is why we are 7-2 this season

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

I don’t get it🤷‍♂️

It's been proven that play action is effective whether or not you're running the ball effectively

All it takes is a linebacker to look in the backfield for a split second and that's all it takes

Sure there's some linebackers that don't fall for it, but as I said, watching film for 30 years, and looking at studies.. play action is effective regardless of how you run

• Like (+1) 2

41 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

I don’t get it🤷‍♂️

No it isn't There is no correlation to running the ball successfully and success of play action passes. Being in a down and distance where a run is LIKELY is much more correlated to play action success than your actual success rate.

19 minutes ago, MJS said:

That's not actually true, though. The threat of the run (play action) is usually enough to freeze the linebackers for a split second. It's instinctive and they can't help it.

Yes, simply being in a down and distance that makes a run LIKELY is correlated with success of play action.  Actually running the ball well is NOT.

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

I don’t get it🤷‍♂️

This exactly. They see this on film and will shoot for Allen everytime. Hope they do run the ball a little more to keep D's honest.

The data has shown for a while now that you do NOT need to have an effective run game in order for play action to be productive during a given game.  

Just thought I'd mention that; not sure how much that relates to the Bills one way or the other.

1 hour ago, Jobot said:

Does the casual fan underestimate the added difficulty of running a play action adds to the quarterback?

Essentially you turn your back to the field of play, and have about ~30% less time to see things and make the throw.  Allen is in year 3, and the play action is obviously not only decided to be used because our run game strikes fear into our opponents...  I look at it as another development aspect that Allen continues to grow.

good point never thought of the back turned aspect

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Running the ball has zero correlation to play action success.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/establishing-the-run-does-matter/ar-BBXgJfg
It depends on how you crunch the data.

You can tell me till you are blue in the face that Analytics show a running game doesn’t.

40+ years of watching the box get stuffed and good QBs kill them with the PA tells me otherwise.

3 hours ago, Buffalo Boy said:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/establishing-the-run-does-matter/ar-BBXgJfg
It depends on how you crunch the data.

You can tell me till you are blue in the face that Analytics show a running game doesn’t.

40+ years of watching the box get stuffed and good QBs kill them with the PA tells me otherwise.

They aren't even playing the same game from 10 years ago so 40 years is kind of irrelevant to how the game is played today.

6 hours ago, matter2003 said:

With 107...

Granted the next 2 teams on the list, the LA Rams with 105 and Tennessee Titans with 96 have only played 8 games, but we will still be in the top 3 even after they play their 9th game...pretty crazy considering we were 20th last year...

In fact, we have already ran more play action this year than all of last year(107 this year to 105 last year). We also have the most yards off play action by almost 100 yards over the Rams(975 to 891)...

Very interesting new wrinkle Daboll has added...

I have always been a fan of running play action. Especially if you have a good QB who can make a great fake and get defenses to bite. It also helps to have a mobile QB like Allen who is a dual threat as a passer and runner. He can extend plays. That can be tough on opponents. That's the league now. Kyler Murray, Russell Wilson, Tua, Lamar Jackson, even Bridgewater.

I would like to one day include Daniel Jones because he's a good runner. But he has to become more consistent and not turn the ball over. The jury is out.