Why didn't McDermott challenge the Davis TD?

JerseyBills

Many things happening at once.  Do you burn a TO on a questionable overturn when you have it on 1st and goal from the one?  You go hurry-up, giving the booth coaches less time to see the review.  I'm pretty sure they have to rely on CBS to cue up the reviews. Bottom line, you sneak it in on 1st down, instead of a slow-developing off tackle play that loses 3 yards.  I'm OK with McD not challenging it.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Many things happening at once.  Do you burn a TO on a questionable overturn when you have it on 1st and goal from the one?  You go hurry-up, giving the booth coaches less time to see the review.  I'm pretty sure they have to rely on CBS to cue up the reviews. Bottom line, you sneak it in on 1st down, instead of a slow-developing off tackle play that loses 3 yards.  I'm OK with McD not challenging it.  

Personally I never saw a clear angle that he was in.  They didn't show a lot of angles. I didn't hate the non challenge there. I would have had Josh Allen just sneak in for a TD which is nearly 100% successful. 

• Like (+1) 2

It was first and goal on the 1.

My guess is to rush to the line and get the quick score yields higher results than a challenge and potential free time out for Seattle.

Hindsight is 20/20 and I have no problem admitting that I would have never even thought of challenging it until Mike Pereira said it was a TD.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Definitely the job of his spotters in the booth.  No way Davis could tell, he knew he was extremely close to being OOB.  

On first down I would spread the defense with 3 wide and then go with Moss quick hitter to the left, not Singletary to the right which was the play call.  

Edited by Bob in STL

4 hours ago, ALLEN1QB said:

Was a weird play. Instead of rushing to the line they should have looked at it to see if worth a challenge.  McClapper probably would like to have that one back for sure.

Sometimes when you are 3-17 on challenges, you hold yourself back.  It happens

8 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

The announcers kept saying he had lost 15 of 18 challenges. McD has one of the worst challenge conversations in the NFL. 

Sean doesn’t trust New York anymore, nor do I. 
Just punch it in from the One with goal-to-go.

Just my $0.02

Edit: sorry so hard to understand @Karlos

Edited by r00tabaga

6 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Way too risky. Don’t think it was super clear, we were 1st and goal Inside the 5, and we couldn’t lose a TO on a lost challenge there. 

See I’d say you are right, but how many times have we watched him challenge spots for his defense? Spots that he had zero business challenging, but did so because he felt like the the challenge could turn the momentum. 

After the Rams' phantom INT along with the new one for the Ravens, do you really trust the replay booth to overturn this ACTUALLY close play and not waste our time out?  Was this play clear and obvious enough for them to reverse the call on the field?

We were playing their darling Seahawks, not a chance.

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Bob in STL said:

Definitely the job of his spotters in the booth.  No way Davis could tell, he knew he was extremely close to being OOB.  

On first down I would spread the defense with 3 wide and then go with Moss quick hitter to the left, not Singletary to the right which was the play call.  

Where are the spotters sitting they couldn’t of seen that his heel which was over the sideline did not touch in live action.

There is no way anyone live - not right down next to the play would have seen anything close.  The spotters needed the replay to see it on slow mo and without the fans in the stadium - replays are not being shown as quickly in stadium - so teams are missing out.

I still have not seen any video evidence that shows TD.  We see the heel in, but the camera angle shows the ball maybe going over the pylon - maybe not - hard to tell without a video shot along the sideline to go with the field shot so it could be pieced together.

Pereira stated that he may have won it, but the league has tended to stay a lot with the call on the field.  They upped the evidence required to overturn with a new group running replay in NY.  I still am not sure it gets changed and therefore people would be killing him for making a challenge and failing because it was close.

Edited by Rochesterfan
  • Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Personally I never saw a clear angle that he was in.  They didn't show a lot of angles. I didn't hate the non challenge there. I would have had Josh Allen just sneak in for a TD which is nearly 100% successful. 

I didn't see "daylight" between his foot and the white turf on the views they did first have.  All it takes to fail that challenge is the possibility for the tip of a single blade of fake white grass to touch his foot.  So yeah, keep the reeling defense on their heels and rush to shove it in with Josh rather than burn a time out giving them a breather.

*edit*

Also, didn't see clear evidence of the ball going over the pilon.  Too many moving parts and maybes on this one.

Edited by 1ManRaid
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

I believe they rushed to the line to get the Seahawks D off balance, which was the right call, assuming the refs git their call right-- which at the moment, it really did look like Davis had stepped out of bounds. It was only on slo-mo replay, a play later, that you could see that he had not dropped his heel, and was inbounds. But, even with that, there is no guarantee that the call would have been reversed. It was very close.

This.

Live, it looked like he was out. Nobody questioned it till after they'd lost the chance.

Edited by Thurman#1

10 hours ago, letsgoteam said:

Yup. Also I think some of the blame is Gabe Davis. He should have told them that he thought he scored!

Davis had no way to know.

He wasn't looking at his foot or anywhere close, and even if he was he couldn't have seen underneath the foot to see exactly which part of his foot had been down. About all he could've said was, "Maybe. If I was out it wasn't by much, but dunno, really."

10 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

The announcers kept saying he had lost 15 of 18 challenges. McD has one of the worst challenge conversations in the NFL. 

Exactly and that was my whole point. We didn't need the 4 extra points Sun but if we're in January,  I'd like to see coach take that risk and potentially lose the Timeout. I thought it was close enough to warrant a look.

I hope that his challenge woes and  percentage isn't in the back of his head and will potentially hold him back from throwing it

14 minutes ago, uticaclub said:

The ref was right there and McDermott has the worse challenge record in NFL history. If it's close the ref is suppose to signal TD so the review becomes automatic. Didn't matter we scored anyway

We didn't score on that drive. A FG, yes

Edited by JerseyBills

10 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Since he really can't see it, someone upstairs needs to tell him to throw it.

How in the hell can't he see something 70 yards away and when Davis gave no indication to have anyone thing he was inbounds?

This is the problem with McDermott. They should cut their losses now!

14 minutes ago, uticaclub said:

The ref was right there and McDermott has the worse challenge record in NFL history. If it's close the ref is suppose to signal TD so the review becomes automatic. Didn't matter we scored anyway

We didn't score on that drive. A FG, yes