Holy crap Daboll interview

11 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

https://www.buffalobills.com/video/brain-daboll-this-dude-s-buffalo

So much for the objective coach-player relationship....wow.  That's some stuff there.

In case anyone wondered what kind of relationship Daboll and Josh have, that really laid it out.

For those who don't get a lot out of McDermott's interview, by the way, Daboll has become by far the most interesting and intriguing of the coaching interviews.  I would call it a "must watch"

great stuff.  \ Very good nuggets from him.  

4 minutes ago, Kwai San said:

he is the glue holding that whole team together.  Dabs?  We really don't know and it would be a HUGE bummer to find out otherwise.

I get your point but I don’t get the low level animosity towards McD. ( not you specifically but in this fanbase as a whole)

When Brady succeeded Bledsoe the Pats were running some pedestrian, ball control , Boring offenses for a few years. Pretty conservative stuff. Why? Because that was the best way to eke out wins. Who thinks Hoodie was a bad coach during that period?

Clearly, that aspect of McD’s game irks the heck out of a large chunk of posters on here but has worked to get us into the playoffs twice; once with a team that didn’t deserve to be there IMO.

None of us know how much autonomy Daboll has with his play calling from game to game. Listening to him it sounds like a team effort from the staff. He even used the word process.

McD has created a Top 5 football team in the NFL. He’s done it methodically and growth and improvement are apparent. “ Huge Bummer” indeed.

• Like (+1) 2

30 minutes ago, Buffalo Boy said:

I get your point but I don’t get the low level animosity towards McD. ( not you specifically but in this fanbase as a whole)

When Brady succeeded Bledsoe the Pats were running some pedestrian, ball control , Boring offenses for a few years. Pretty conservative stuff. Why? Because that was the best way to eke out wins. Who thinks Hoodie was a bad coach during that period?

Clearly, that aspect of McD’s game irks the heck out of a large chunk of posters on here but has worked to get us into the playoffs twice; once with a team that didn’t deserve to be there IMO.

None of us know how much autonomy Daboll has with his play calling from game to game. Listening to him it sounds like a team effort from the staff. He even used the word process.

McD has created a Top 5 football team in the NFL. He’s done it methodically and growth and improvement are apparent. “ Huge Bummer” indeed.

Great points made in your posts, that’s why Marv levy said, if you listen to the fans, you’ll be sitting with them in no time... 99.9% or more of our fans would destroy this team in short order if the were the decision makers. 

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

11 hours ago, zow2 said:

Its been mentioned all season, even yesterday nationally..how great of a job Daboll has done with Josh. Obviously they respect each other and care about each other deeply and it shows with results on the field.

Daboll will get a head coaching offer this offseason...assuming the Bills don’t completely implode.  He’s a lock (if he wants to be a head coach) 

Yep, there will be many openings this offseason, can't imagine he won't land one of them.

On 11/10/2020 at 2:42 AM, GETTOTHE50 said:

I think Roman has done a decent job in the passing game with most teams he’s been with. The 49ers had crappy Kaepernick and they still reached the Super Bowl with his play calling. The bills had gritty, though crappy Tyrod Taylor who is still till this day afraid to throw over the middle, and now he has Lamar Jackson who can’t really throw to the sidelines like you’ve mentioned. He designed the offense in which a limited passer got awarded the MVP. Plus, the ravens current receivers are pretty average. Hollywood brown only has speed, willie Snead doesn’t scare anyone, and mark andrews is not even close to being on Kelces or Kittles level, so in other words, he doesn’t have a big impact on the game.

I don't have the "chops" to judge, but I've heard people who should know something critique the design of Roman's passing game.  Dilfer gave the lengthiest critique I think when Roman was Bills OC.  That the timing of the passing game downfield didn't match what was going on in the pocket.  I can't speak to how true that still might be with the Ravens or whether that's limiting Jackson's passing success.  The Ravens do have David Culley (yes, that David Culley) on staff as "assistant head coach/pass coordinator/WR coach"

I think you're way under-rating the impact of Mark Andrews, though I couldn't believe it that the Ravens traded off Hayden Hurst.  The three-headed monster was special.

11 hours ago, Augie said:

That’s fine, we can disagree on that. I won’t take, or advise anyone else to take, a job where you are just positioned to fail. If I’m really prime head coaching material, there are some owners I want no part of. Period. 

If you are really that good, get yourself the best position possible. 

Matt Rhule took this approach.

Didn't like what the Jets offered... went back to college.

Interviewed with the Panthers, realized Tepper is a good owner willing to help in anyway, and took the job. 

Edited by warrior9
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Kwai San said:

Yeah I am wondering the same.....as much as McClappy bothers me at times I realize he is the glue holding that whole team together.  Dabs?  We really don't know and it would be a HUGE bummer to find out otherwise.

Try not thinking about or using that idiotic nickname for a while if you can and maybe he will not bother you so much.

You and a few others have focused on that action of his which does not affect the game.

31 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Great points made in your posts, that’s why Marv levy said, if you listen to the fans, you’ll be sitting with them in no time... 99.9% or more of our fans would destroy this team in short order if the were the decision makers. 

Go Bills!!!

and you forgot a couple more 9's to six sigma.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Try not thinking about or using that idiotic nickname for a while if you can and maybe he will not bother you so much.

You and a few others have focused on that action of his which does not affect the game.

and you forgot a couple more 9's to six sigma.

Ya, the mcclappy immaturity continues to shine, sad considering Sean has been very successful in his short tenure here, I ‘ll bet he doesn’t have the sack to say it to Sean’s face, in a room with just the two of them in it... another case of internet machismo... 

10 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Sage advice - it REALLY used to bother me awhile back.....now not so much.  Every once in awhile tho it rears its ugly head.......and yeah I doubt I would say it to his face as he would remove mine....of that I have no doubt.

Edited by Kwai San
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

12 hours ago, zow2 said:

Its been mentioned all season, even yesterday nationally..how great of a job Daboll has done with Josh. Obviously they respect each other and care about each other deeply and it shows with results on the field.

Daboll will get a head coaching offer this offseason...assuming the Bills don’t completely implode.  He’s a lock (if he wants to be a head coach) 

I will say here....and I think from bits and pieces Daboll is well aware of it....it may be equally true how great a job Josh has done with Daboll (of course McDermott likely has huge influence as well).  Daboll said something in a previous press conference about growing as an offensive coordinator and growing in how he relates to his players and then "I'm grateful to Josh...more than he knows".  I think Josh may have changed Daboll by how he takes coaching and what coaching works best.

I don't think Daboll knows what he wants right now.  His press conferences come across to me as a season-long head coaching philosophy interview (I don't think they're staged or insincere, but I think he made a decision to change how he interacts with the press and use the interviews as a platform to share more of himself).  There are only 32 HC jobs in the NFL and it's a huge opportunity.  On the other hand, he's clearly committed to molding Josh into a great QB and he's developed  A TON as an offensive coordinator IMO.  When the opportunity comes and he needs to make that decision, I think it's possible that he might decide that he's not finished with what he wants to do here.

funny how a few good games and the OC is all of a sudden a GOD. I know, no one directly called him GOD but he sure looks to be worshipped all of a sudden.

he was always a pretty good play caller, he just had/has to wait on his QB and offense to get it right, catch up to his philosophy's. which, like a fine wine, takes time.

the rollercoaster opinions on Daboll will continue though, just have another bad game or two and there will be those calling for his head again. same goes with McD or as some who use the stupid nickname, McClappy. up and down, up and down with the weekly opinions.

it's those fans that have had a pretty good feeling about these coaches and team all along that understands, it takes time.

this team and staff have the potential to be a pretty darn good football team that with half a season behind them, the future looks good.

13 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

https://www.buffalobills.com/video/brain-daboll-this-dude-s-buffalo

So much for the objective coach-player relationship....wow.  That's some stuff there.

In case anyone wondered what kind of relationship Daboll and Josh have, that really laid it out.

For those who don't get a lot out of McDermott's interview, by the way, Daboll has become by far the most interesting and intriguing of the coaching interviews.  I would call it a "must watch"

"bRaIn DabOlL"....... typo, or next level thinker?

10 hours ago, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

Absolutely.  Only 32 of those jobs in the whole wide world and who knows if you'll ever get tapped again.  Even if it's the Jets or the Jags you take the job.

not always true....look at Bill Cowher, Gruden, McDaniels, Rhule etc  turning away opportunities. 

Is it extremely hard to NOT just take a HC coaching job because as you said there are only 32 in the world.  YES it is. I Totally agree and  that would have to weigh heavily in the decision.

However, if that job location and system you will be working in will simply fail, some stay where they are (Analyst, booth, OC) and take a chance that an opportunity that better suits them will be available down the road.  Because who wants to go into a situation destined for failure, even if it is a rare and unique opportunity.

Edited by TBBills Fan
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Bad take, I think

I posted years ago that Fitz's ability to improvise and be a "gunslinger" made Chan Gailey look a lot better than he was.

Josh is a freak of nature--a big athletic QB who is a very quick learner.  No doubt he and Daboll enjoy each other's company and effort, but I bet there a bunch of OC's who would have at least the same result with a natural like Josh.

12 hours ago, Augie said:

I’ve always been one to take happiness over money. A couple million in a solid position beats twice that as the HC of the Browns and waiting to get fired. I get wanting to be set for life, but NOT if it means being set up to fail in a miserable situation.  Money is nice, happiness is better. One does not buy the other. 

Maybe being the HC and attaining that goal (if it is one) is on par with the money, in regards to happiness.

We remember the coaches that take their shot and flame out. And there is more flameouts than success stories of course.

But I bet most don't regret taking their shot. Just a guess.

13 hours ago, QB Bills said:

Not that this is even a possibility at this point, but I'd rather keep Daboll over McDermott if one has to go. I think in time, keeping the Clapmaster while letting Daboll walk will end up looking like a foolish decision.

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but I want to congratulate this post for being the first one I've ever seen to receive EVERY like/vote option.

Guy got all 8. Agree or disagree, he must be doing something right.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I will say here....and I think from bits and pieces Daboll is well aware of it....it may be equally true how great a job Josh has done with Daboll (of course McDermott likely has huge influence as well).  Daboll said something in a previous press conference about growing as an offensive coordinator and growing in how he relates to his players and then "I'm grateful to Josh...more than he knows".  I think Josh may have changed Daboll by how he takes coaching and what coaching works best.

I don't think Daboll knows what he wants right now.  His press conferences come across to me as a season-long head coaching philosophy interview (I don't think they're staged or insincere, but I think he made a decision to change how he interacts with the press and use the interviews as a platform to share more of himself).  There are only 32 HC jobs in the NFL and it's a huge opportunity.  On the other hand, he's clearly committed to molding Josh into a great QB and he's developed  A TON as an offensive coordinator IMO.  When the opportunity comes and he needs to make that decision, I think it's possible that he might decide that he's not finished with what he wants to do here.

For sure it is both ways. This is the first time in Daboll's NFL OC career he has had a proper viable starting QB. You call a game differently when you have a guy like that then when you have scrubs. Josh has learned a lot under Daboll too though. And it is the perception around the league of the job he has done with Josh that will get him those interviews more than anything else IMO.

38 minutes ago, Nineforty said:

Maybe being the HC and attaining that goal (if it is one) is on par with the money, in regards to happiness.

We remember the coaches that take their shot and flame out. And there is more flameouts than success stories of course.

But I bet most don't regret taking their shot. Just a guess.

I think the situation matters quite a bit. Taking your shot in Cleveland, for example, is a bit like trying to become champ vs Mike Tyson in his prime. If you are truly qualified, a better option will present itself. Maybe that’s just me.......  🤷‍♂️

I’m pretty sure the Browns have a number of people who are not interested when that position opens up every 18 months. 

• Like (+1) 1