Holy crap Daboll interview

22 minutes ago, QB Bills said:

Not that this is even a possibility at this point, but I'd rather keep Daboll over McDermott if one has to go. I think in time, keeping the Clapmaster while letting Daboll walk will end up looking like a foolish decision.

Last year you were crying for his head

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Scott7975 said:

Can't watch now =( Any chance you can give a small summary?

Background: late last year when it was reported Daboll would be interviewing for the Cleveland job, Josh was asked in an interview and was visibly taken aback.  Said he didn't know that, actually.  Sort of collected himself then said that he really appreciated everything Daboll had done for him and how Daboll had taken him under his wing, he'd be the first to tell Daboll to take a job that could mean so much to his family, and if he (Josh) lost him (Daboll) he'd deal with it when it happened.  Ended "I love him, and that'll never change".

But then there's Josh's story about making the wrong throw and having Daboll scream at him in his helmet and looking over to see him red-faced and screaming on the sidelines and going over and having Daboll calm down then get even angrier and scream even more.  And Josh's 2nd year having Daboll move to the booth after he was observed screaming at Josh on the sidelines after an interception.

And Daboll has been asked if he's proud of Josh, and he's sidestepped.  Said stuff like "it's what I expect of him" and "I thought he made good decisions, most of the time"

So today's interview.  Daboll was asked about the OL, and all the injuries and changes, and he said straight out he was proud of them and talked about positional flexibility and what a hard working intelligent group they are..pretty standard coach stuff.

Then Jon Scott mentioned Josh's grandmother passing and asked Daboll to put into words how he viewed Josh's performance yesterday, understanding what he was going through.  Daboll said "that's a good question" and scratched his bald pate and I was prepared for more standard coach speak.  Daboll hesitated.  Said he just felt for Josh.  Said he has a grandmother who's really special to him and he can't imagine how tough that was.  Said he has so much respect for Josh as a person and a player, "I love him, just be there for him".  Said Josh did a really good job of staying focused, there weren't many people who knew about it, that's kind of the guy he is.  "He's the ultimate teammate the ultimate competitor, and when he came off the field into the locker room he just kind of fell into my arms a little bit...a lot of emotion there not only for him but for me, when you love somebody and something happens to them it's tough but then to see it happen to someone you really care about as a player, it's tough.  But it's why his teammates love him too, he's all day competitive, all day tough, he'll do anything for them."  Jon Scott asked "what it meant to him that Josh confided something so personal to him, knowing that he (Josh) could have  gone out and played with all of that kept inside, what does that mean for your relationship that maybe...that clearly goes beyond just player-coach?"  Daboll said "A lot..I just care about him so much as a person, more than a football player.. we've been through a lot together in these last three years...he just... he means a lot to me."

It just seemed like the doors flew open and we were all being given what seems like a real glimpse into the genuine inner workings of the Daboll-Josh relationship, and perhaps one of the reasons why both of them seem able to have improved so much - if there's hard-nosed critique or even red-faced yelling going on now-a-days, it takes place on a genuine bedrock of mutual love and trust.

There was more good stuff in response to Kim Jones questions and etc.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 4

36 minutes ago, Buffalo Junction said:

I think he’ll stick around unless the right offer comes along. I can’t see him bailing on what’s become a cushy OC gig in his city with a QB who’s making him look good for a mismanaged franchise with poor ownership. 

Yes.. I’d understand if a golden opportunity came along but i hope Daboll waits for the right opening.. Don’t go to a crap organization like the Jets for the sake of being a HC.. If he stays in Buffalo long enough with Josh Allen as his QB, his resume is going to be golden and he may end up with a ring..

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

50 minutes ago, zow2 said:

Its been mentioned all season, even yesterday nationally..how great of a job Daboll has done with Josh. Obviously they respect each other and care about each other deeply and it shows with results on the field.

Daboll will get a head coaching offer this offseason...assuming the Bills don’t completely implode.  He’s a lock (if he wants to be a head coach) 

I would ride this thing out with buffalo and see what happens 

I remember when Daboll was on the sidelines, not upstairs. He was a screamer and JA performed mediocre.

Daboll moved upstairs and all the sudden magic happened .. JA started performing, excelling.

Daboll needs some straightening up before he's HC material.

8 minutes ago, boater said:

I remember when Daboll was on the sidelines, not upstairs. He was a screamer and JA performed mediocre.

Daboll moved upstairs and all the sudden magic happened .. JA started performing, excelling.

Daboll needs some straightening up before he's HC material.

I think perhaps Daboll has had the growth he needed, and that might be one reason why there's apparently such a deep bond between the two.  They must have had some frank talks where Josh learned to really listen and to be a more coachable player, and Daboll learned some stuff about being a coach a player can listen to and learn from.

At this point, I don't think it matters where Daboll is during the game.

• Like (+1) 3

57 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Yes he probably will get offers and everyone has given their opinions on it.

I'm sticking with mine that Daboll wants a SB ring with the Bills and he is going to give that a couple years more.

I would guess that he would take the many extra million$ over the hope for a ring, if he gets the option. 

It’s funny how one week we want him fired, and the next we are sure he gets HC options. Which is it?  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Augie said:

I would guess that he would take the many extra million$ over the hope for a ring, if he gets the option. 

It’s funny how one week we want him fired, and the next we are sure he gets HC options. Which is it?  

Wait and see

1 hour ago, QB Bills said:

Not that this is even a possibility at this point, but I'd rather keep Daboll over McDermott if one has to go. I think in time, keeping the Clapmaster while letting Daboll walk will end up looking like a foolish decision.

That's simply not on the menu.

2 minutes ago, Augie said:

I've not been one who has called for his head.  He had squat to work with the first season and the 2nd wasn't all that much better.

Daboll and Josh will be lighting it up next year and if Daboll is smart he waits for a good organization to go to.

None of us know what kind of bonus Daboll will get this year either.

23 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

Yes.. I’d understand if a golden opportunity came along but i hope Daboll waits for the right opening.. Don’t go to a crap organization like the Jets for the sake of being a HC.. If he stays in Buffalo long enough with Josh Allen as his QB, his resume is going to be golden and he may end up with a ring..

One thing that might work towards Daboll staying here until a great HC gig comes calling is that the Pegulas aren’t cheap with salaries. 

1 hour ago, zow2 said:

Its been mentioned all season, even yesterday nationally..how great of a job Daboll has done with Josh. Obviously they respect each other and care about each other deeply and it shows with results on the field.

Daboll will get a head coaching offer this offseason...assuming the Bills don’t completely implode.  He’s a lock (if he wants to be a head coach) 

I  could be wrong, but I don't see Daboll as a money chaser. I think the way Buffalo has gone about building their program is different.  I think he will follow through with what he started.

2 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I've not been one who has called for his head.  He had squat to work with the first season and the 2nd wasn't all that much better.

Daboll and Josh will be lighting it up next year and if Daboll is smart he waits for a good organization to go to.

None of us know what kind of bonus Daboll will get this year either.

I’ve always been one to take happiness over money. A couple million in a solid position beats twice that as the HC of the Browns and waiting to get fired. I get wanting to be set for life, but NOT if it means being set up to fail in a miserable situation.  Money is nice, happiness is better. One does not buy the other. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

“ I just really believe that each week is it’s own unique week.”

This season Daboll is really starting to display the NE coaching upbringing he had.

This team come out and clearly emphasizes  different facets of the playbook each week. 
    I drool at the prospects that this foreshadows. After having watched a million losses to NE where that O would turn on a dime from short slants and quick outs to power sets and jumbo packages without missing a beat, imagine Josh leading an O like that ( he is smart enough) as he really starts to understand Opposing defenses😍

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Rc2catch said:

I think Daboll will be on the list for interviews. I’m not sure he’s gonna get a job as head coach yet. I’m sure he’s more than capable, I’m not a big fan of his play calling a lot of times but he seems to have that leader of men mentality that players want to play for and most coaches don’t have. It’ll be interesting to see how many jobs are available vs the candidates that emerge. I think barring a big turnaround Roman is probably out of the head coach conversation. 

oh yes. If josh continues on this track, Daboll will be getting long looks based on Allen’s development alone. The play calling will be a secondary concern.

1 hour ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

i guess there maybe about 5 HC spots in the league and the top 5 media candidates will probably be:

1. KC Chiefs OC Eric Bieniemy

2. Michigan HC: John Harbaugh

3. Oklahoma HC: Lincoln Reilly

4. 49ers DC: Robert Saleh

5. Ravens OC: Greg Roman

I just hope daboll stays with Allen as long as possible at this point.

We have to hang on to him as long as possible. I don't know if Dorsey could pu where Brian left off. As Shaw and others have said hopefully Daboll wants to see this through with his prodigy.