Staten Island Yankees (A) Moving to Hudson Valley

Gugny

Enjoy, local Yankees fans ... https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/30273210/new-york-yankees-move-minor-league-teams-trenton-staten-island

The Class A club that had been in Staten Island since 1999 will move upstate to Hudson Valley, previously an affiliate of the Tampa Bay Rays.

The Staten Island Yankees said they were "shocked" by the move in a statement released Monday.

"The Staten Island Yankees made every effort to accommodate MLB and New York Yankees requirements, including securing a commitment from New York City for ballpark upgrades," the statement read. "However, MLB and the Yankees chose not to engage in any discussions with us. We were unaware of the final decision and learned about it by reading the statement on Yankees social media."

10 minutes ago, Gugny said:

"We were unaware of the final decision and learned about it by reading the statement on Yankees social media."

No doubt done for the glorification of the massive egos that are the NYY executive staff.

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013

53 minutes ago, Stevie Ray said:

This sucks. The ballpark at St. George was a nice park and going there was always an experience -  cheap beers, decent sausage & peppers and always great to see some up and coming talent. 

We had a AA team (White Sox) for many years (Glens Falls, NY) .. then a single A team (Tigers) for another handful of years.  I was young, but went to many games with my dad and/or friends.

If we ever had another AA team, I'd go to every home game.  Probably for single A, too.    

3 minutes ago, Gugny said:

We had a AA team (White Sox) for many years (Glens Falls, NY) .. then a single A team (Tigers) for another handful of years.  I was young, but went to many games with my dad and/or friends.

If we ever had another AA team, I'd go to every home game.  Probably for single A, too.    

Yeah minor league ball has become a better experience than the majors.

• Like (+1) 1

At least they didn’t move to New Jersey! What self respecting team would have “New York” in their name, and play in another state? Are there not some Truth In Advertising laws that cover that? I demand congressional hearings! 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

10 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

I see this as an actual positive move.  Minor league baseball does not belong in or near NYC.  The NY Penn League has been ruined. and now disbanded.  That team was originally stolen from Watertown and Oneonta.

John Elway played a season in Oneonta, IIRC.

13 hours ago, Taro T said:

Back when Buffalo was the AA affiliate for the Pirates playing in the Rockpile Tony Pena was the catcher one year.  He was fun to watch.

I know Ron Kittle spent some time in Glens Falls with the White Sox AA affiliate.  John Smoltz came to town very briefly as a single A Detroit Tiger.  I'm sure there were others, but those to come to mind.

Coincidentally, Dave LaPoint graduated from Glens Falls High School and went on to have a decent career, winning a World Series with the Cardinals and playing for the Yankees and other teams.  He ended up starting a non-MLB-affiliated league in the northeast and it stuck around for a handful of years and owned a team that played in the same field (East Field - named as such because it was in the "East End," of Glens Falls (where my dad grew up).  The quality of baseball was less than that of single A, but it was still fun to watch.

East Field is now used for (I believe) a JuCo league.  The field has gone to hell, unfortunately.  Sad to see it deteriorate.

On 11/13/2020 at 8:45 PM, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

Glenn Reicin, one of the Staten Island Yankees’ four owners, said he received a phone call from Yankees COO Lonn Trost at 10:30 Saturday morning and then an email from Trost at 1 p.m. Saturday afternoon notifying him of the impending announcement. However, as the Yankees knew from dealing with Reicin for 10 years, he keeps the Jewish Sabbath and refrains from electronic communication from Friday sundown to after sundown on Saturday. Hence Reicin didn’t learn of the news until Saturday evening and his partners, none of whom was contacted by the Yankees, found out when the Yankees released the news.

That's pretty messed up

On 11/15/2020 at 10:25 PM, OZBILLS said:

That's pretty messed up

Yes.  I think George would be absolutely disgusted at the way this storied franchise has been run since his passing.

I grew up a Mets fan in a Yankees household.  I watched both teams all season long and only rooted against the Yankees if they were playing against the Mets.  This lasted from 1983 until the Yankees signed Alex Rodriguez.  

I vowed to not root for they Yankees until that scumbag was gone - and I didn't.

In Girardi's final season, I was finally able to start rooting for them again.  Very fun, very young team and Girardi almost took them all the way.

Then they let him go.  For Aaron ***** Boone.  Pathetic. 

The organization is a disgrace, now.  Very sad.

#LFGM!

Edited by Gugny
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Yeah, mlb clubs in general have move in making a big play to completely make milb capitulate.  It will make a complete turn to developmental.  Might as well not keep score any more.  

It's too bad.  They are eliminating pro baseball from existing within every corner of the nation.  Long term, this is going to hurt the sport.  I miss the day where I could go to a number of nearby places and see good, competitive pro baseball.  

• Like (+1) 1

There is an "A" ball stadium maybe 10 minutes from where I live, in Jupiter, FL.  

I believe the team that plays there is in the Florida Marlins system.

The stadium looks relatively new and nice, but it is small.

I have never gotten over there for a game but should; it looks like a fun day at the ball park and I assume you can buy a good ticket 5 minutes before the game starts, for less than $10.  

Maybe I'm wrong on that, I don't know.

I have never watched baseball played below the AAA level (in Buffalo) but I assume A ball players are good enough to be entertaining enough to watch.

I had tickets behind home plate for Nats games in DC for a few years, and did the same in Buffalo many years ago for Bisons games, when they were affiliated with the Pittsburgh Pirates.  

I could hear the "zip" of the ball when the pitcher threw it in either ball park just the same.

And the ball seems to have hit the catcher's glove with just as much power.  I was always amazed at how loud it is.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.