Is the Bills window smaller than thought?

Big Turk

No team with a QB making more than $20 million has ever won a SB...

If you look back that is true...QBs taking up huge chunks of the cap hurt the teams ability to get talent at other positions...

Ultimately they will make lots of championship games and might make it to the SB and lose but it seems the window of opportunity is to find a great QB and win on their rookie contract...

Eventually this will not be true because there are simply too many very good young QBs in the league that will be getting paid but I found this pretty interesting and how teams with long time great QBs don't win championships after paying them big money.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I know itll never happen with a young QB getting his first "pay me"/life changing money, but it would be great to see Josh do an ole' Tom Brady and take less so the team can be built around him.

Not hating on guys getting paid at all, short window to make all you can while you can. Just commenting it would be nice lol 

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

If you look back that is true...QBs taking up huge chunks of the cap hurt the teams ability to get talent at other positions...

Ultimately they will make lots of championship games and might make it to the SB and lose but it seems the window of opportunity is to find a great QB and win on their rookie contract...

Eventually this will not be true because there are simply too many very good young QBs in the league that will be getting paid but I found this pretty interesting and how teams with long time great QBs don't win championships after paying them big money.

I think that the "$20 million" is arbitrary...as it's really very recent that ANY quarterbacks have made that much money.  

What you really need to look at is a QB's salary as a percentage of the cap...I'm sure there are plenty of examples where top-flite QBs not on their rookie deals (or before the rookie cap) won the SB.  I'd also wager those teams are far more competitive year in and year out.

• Like (+1) 14
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

The Bills have a window as long as Josh Allen is healthy and here. 

With all of our problems, and with all of the development he still needs to do before he's at his peak, we are 7-2 with the schedule that made everyone poop their pants, and exactly 1 scary team left on it the rest of the way (though several good teams). 

He will consistently get us to where we need to be to have a chance, even when the team is struggling elsewhere 

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

You also have to take into account the rising of the salary cap over the last few years. It's a different world economically these days. 

• Like (+1) 1

The NFL is a year to year moving target.

The reason why having Josh develop into a franchise QB is so important that it gives Buffalo a CHANCE to win the Super Bowl over the next 10-15 years. Does not mean it will be an every year thing, there might be some 7-9 seasons sprinkled in. But with the right coaching, GM and also a little luck (injuries) I feel the Bills are now setup to take at least 2 maybe 3 legit deep shots at the SB with a QB like Josh.

Edited by Like A Mofo
  • Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

I've said for a year that I think Josh will give the Bills a discount.   Josh is smart and a team guy, and he recognizes the impact of the mega-deals on the ability of the GM to put together a winner.  I

I think Josh will leave money on the table. 

• Like (+1) 1

I think Allen is about team, not that I think he would take or deserve some kind of bargain-basement agreement, BUT I could see him taking a very long-term agreement that spreads the hit out over the years in a more cap-friendly way that allows Beane to continue to surround him with talented players.

10 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

😂 

now that we finally have a good QB we’re in trouble because you can only win with a QB that is paid like he sucks or is on a rookie deal? 

9 minutes ago, MJS said:

Peyton Manning won the Superbowl with the Colts and with the Broncos with big contracts.

As did his brother 

• Like (+1) 1

This salary argument is flawed for two reasons..

1- Brady

2- The salary cap continues to increase year over year... so it's foolish to look at it like this.

If you're truly worried, you do what KC did with the Mahommes contract.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Given the cap goes up every year, using a $ amount wouldn't be the best way to evaulate this.  It would be better to use a % of cap space taken up. For example, $10 million was a lot of cap space 10-15 years ago...

• Like (+1) 1