Is the weather really an issue for our passing attack?

Ramza86

1 hour ago, LeGOATski said:

If the generation you're referring to is the middle-aged to old people who actually spend the most money on more games/season tickets, then I agree. They want to sit in a comfy stadium. Most young people (of any generation) don't give a *****...lol

Sorry, but I will disagree. You're entitled to your opinion of course, but most of the younger generation is soft, unless they're tailgating and jumping through tables, then they're just silly and reckless. But, no - this is the video game / iPad / cell phone generation that all too often don't understand the value in getting outdoors to get the blood moving. Call me whatever you'd like, but that's the truth.

Also, now that the same generation is having smaller children, a dome would permit the use of indoor facilities for a fan experience for kids that wouldn't otherwise be permitted due to the severe weather in the stadium.

2 hours ago, Ramza86 said:

I agree with this until a team that has a good composition that favors the poor elements. 

A team like the titans could come in here on a bad weather day and take advantage of the poor weather.

I guess what I'm saying is that JA DOES take advantage of poor weather.  Just because someone else can ALSO do it, doesn't mean the advantage isn't real IMO.

3 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

Sorry, but I will disagree. You're entitled to your opinion of course, but most of the younger generation is soft, unless they're tailgating and jumping through tables, then they're just silly and reckless. But, no - this is the video game / iPad / cell phone generation that all too often don't understand the value in getting outdoors to get the blood moving. Call me whatever you'd like, but that's the truth.

Also, now that the same generation is having smaller children, a dome would permit the use of indoor facilities for a fan experience for kids that wouldn't otherwise be permitted due to the severe weather in the stadium.

It's just not, though. You're projecting. Every generation says the same general things about the next generation and it's never true. What's always true is that the money (and subsequently the influence for making decisions) comes from older people.

1 minute ago, LeGOATski said:

It's just not, though. You're projecting. Every generation says the same general things about the next generation and it's never true. What's always true is that the money (and subsequently the influence for making decisions) comes from older people.

Please see below related to studies done to discuss the practices of current parents and their effects on their children related to playing outside and spending less time outdoors:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/parenting/wp/2018/05/30/kids-dont-spend-nearly-enough-time-outside-heres-how-and-why-to-change-that/

https://sgbonline.com/kamik-survey-childre-spending-35-percent-less-time-playing-freely-outside/

https://www.childinthecity.org/2018/01/15/children-spend-half-the-time-playing-outside-in-comparison-to-their-parents/?gdpr=accept

1 minute ago, BigBuff423 said:

lol...none of that has anything to do with enjoying an outdoor football game. You think getting less opportunity to do something means you won't want to do it anymore? It's actually the opposite. You'll have a GREATER desire to do that thing.

Are you scratching your head at how so many young people show up to outdoor college football games in the winter? Don't strain your brain. It's because younger people don't give a *****.

19 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

lol...none of that has anything to do with enjoying an outdoor football game. You think getting less opportunity to do something means you won't want to do it anymore? It's actually the opposite. You'll have a GREATER desire to do that thing.

Are you scratching your head at how so many young people show up to outdoor college football games in the winter? Don't strain your brain. It's because younger people don't give a *****.

So, you must be watching a different college football considering the season ends in November. Then, when they play the Bowl games, they play in....wait for it.....warm weather stadiums and / or domes. Also, if you'd like to say that a 70,000 person NFL stadium is going to be filled with 18-22 year olds every week, representing the demographic, then you've missed the entire point. As you noted, younger generation doesn't mean not old enough to legally buy beer. It means, those in their 30's and younger, especially those who have young children. 

As to your first statement, did you bother reading the articles? Because the very thing you point to as your justification is nullified in those three articles, meaning you're just saying this anecdotally without objective information. Otherwise, you'd see children today - and have been for the last 10-15 years, spend far less time doing outdoor activities and they prefer video games, tablets and phones over spending time outside. See the basic point? That's supported by research, hence my statement that this younger generation doesn't have an interest in spending time in frigid weather, let alone standing or sitting in a snow storm to watch a team play when there is viable option to be indoors, comfortably and aiding their favorite team to play better simply by controlling for the environment.

However, we shall agree to disagree and if you're ever interested in reading the articles, this was my public service to you to bring some edification to the subject. Be well, take care, and Go Bills!

4 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

So, you must be watching a different college football considering the season ends in November. Then, when they play the Bowl games, they play in....wait for it.....warm weather stadiums and / or domes. Also, if you'd like to say that a 70,000 person NFL stadium is going to be filled with 18-22 year olds every week, representing the demographic, then you've missed the entire point. As you noted, younger generation doesn't mean not old enough to legally buy beer. It means, those in their 30's and younger, especially those who have young children. 

As to your first statement, did you bother reading the articles? Because the very thing you point to as your justification is nullified in those three articles, meaning you're just saying this anecdotally without objective information. Otherwise, you'd see children today - and have been for the last 10-15 years, spend far less time doing outdoor activities and they prefer video games, tablets and phones over spending time outside. See the basic point? That's supported by research, hence my statement that this younger generation doesn't have an interest in spending time in frigid weather, let alone standing or sitting in a snow storm to watch a team play when there is viable option to be indoors, comfortably and aiding their favorite team to play better simply by controlling for the environment.

However, we shall agree to disagree and if you're ever interested in reading the articles, this was my public service to you to bring some edification to the subject. Be well, take care, and Go Bills!

You're trying to associate two things that have no correlation. That's where you're failing. This trend in adolescent activity doesn't have anything to do with football game attendance. If what you assumed was true, then game attendance from young fans would steadily drop. It hasn't and it won't. College kids will flock to games no matter the time of year, even those outdoor bowl games...because you know there are a hundred bowl games. Those points you're trying to counter with are silly.

And all you have to do is read some posts here when the dome topic pops up. People say "I used to love going to the games when I was younger, but now I'd rather watch on my big screen TV and not be sitting in the cold."

Going to the game is a social experience that younger people are going to gravitate towards and eventually grow out of as they get older. Die hard fans will always go, but demand a more dome-like experience as time goes on.

i've been saying this for years, in general.  the majority of the top college talent is from the south and with the way offense has been trending the last several years, the cold/snow/wind/rain are no longer a home field advantage.  we are just as negatively affected by the conditions as the visitor.  i hope that any new stadium they build is a dome.  it needs to be a fully functional year round facility.  i think it'd be crazy to build an open air stadium in our climate, and i think our team would benefit from a controlled climate over time. 

Edited by essential
spelling
  • Like (+1) 1

I agree and it would help us attract players in the future,  but very respectfully and to be sure...everyone here knows that a dome will not be ready by the Chargers game, right?

There seems to be a lot of present tense conversation going on here and if greenlit right now I am not sure a stadium would even be ready by the 2023 season...I mean, maybe, but still 

5 hours ago, Ramza86 said:

Looks like every great JA game its been more on the non windy side.

I think the elements do not give us an edge as we are a passing team first. 

Is it time to get a dome? lol

Weather has historically been something teams had to adjust to play in.

I actually like that element of the game. They challenge both teams and have led to iconic NFL games.

It is generally considered an advantage to the outdoor team as long as they practice enough in the elements.

There is nothing that prevents an "outdoors" team from performing well in a dome, but indoor teams can really struggle with the winds and elements.

When I lived in MN they lamented how "soft" their team became after playing in a dome, how they had lost their edge against GB and their home field advantage against warm weather NFC central teams.

Something to consider, but the last game vs. Seattle it was in the 70s.

If the East comes down to playing in New Era in the cold and elements against say, a warm-weather team,...advantage Bills.

Edited by WideNine

4 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

Eh...Josh complained more about the brace. He had to remove it in the 4th quarter of the Jets game I think, despite the trainers telling him not to.... there's a link to the story in another thread. And Matt Hasselbeck explained how it caused throwing problems.

I think he underplayed the injury. He's not going to put a target on his back shoulder and let the world know that the was the reason for his dip in play in weeks 5-6 (leaving out 7 as he didn't have to do as much). The weather and lack of Brown of course weren't ideal either.

Having ten starters out or playing injured, on top of many backups in the same boat, amplified by our QB being in a shoulder brace, all over an extended period,  is likely more of the cause of the reduced offensive and defensive output than the weather. Add in modified game plans to compensate for the above and you get what we all observed, after we take care of business next game we will have the bye week to recover more fully for the final stretch. 

Oh, and I do think a dome is a long term smart business decision...

Go Bills!!!

27 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Having ten starters out or playing injured, on top of many backups in the same boat, amplified by our QB being in a shoulder brace, all over an extended period,  is likely more of the cause of the reduced offensive and defensive output than the weather. Add in modified game plans to compensate for the above and you get what we all observed, after we take care of business next game we will have the bye week to recover more fully for the final stretch. 

Oh, and I do think a dome is a long term smart business decision...

Go Bills!!!

Dome kind of neutralizes a strong armed qbs advantage in bad weather though...theoretically a non josh non mahomes qb should struggle more in bad weather than josh does 🤣

30 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

There's no fans allowed.  Why can't they play the remainder of the season in the Field house.  

😆... Is it a 100 yards?

Might have a problem with punting.  Maybe we'll get lucky and they'll have to make two "bubbles" for the playoffs.  We'll get to play all our playoff games in Minnesota.