Is the weather really an issue for our passing attack?

Ramza86

I can see why we’d want a dome. With JA slinging the rock like he is, we want to provide him with a perfect environment to really maximize his capabilities. It makes sense, but only if we look exclusively on the “O” side of the ball. 

While JA MAY complete a lower % of passes in an open stadium, I think his Comp % will be higher than the opposing QB in the same environment due to his physical capabilities. 

So, IMO having an open stadium is a net benefit to the Bills if you take all three phases of the game into account. 

Agree 💯 

I was always against a dome in the past.

Based in our current roster and scheme, a dome would benefit us greatly.  I don’t think there’s any doubt about it.  Bad weather affects us worse than most teams because our run game is lacking.  We ran well vs the pats, mostly due to the pats having a Jv front 7 while playing a deep zone 

9 minutes ago, DaggersEOD said:

I can see why we’d want a dome. With JA slinging the rock like he is, we want to provide him with a perfect environment to really maximize his capabilities. It makes sense, but only if we look exclusively on the “O” side of the ball. 

While JA MAY complete a lower % of passes in an open stadium, I think his Comp % will be higher than the opposing QB in the same environment due to his physical capabilities. 

So, IMO having an open stadium is a net benefit to the Bills if you take all three phases of the game into account. 

I agree with this until a team that has a good composition that favors the poor elements. 

A team like the titans could come in here on a bad weather day and take advantage of the poor weather.

8 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Pats, Steelers, GB, Seattle, KC, etc have been putting up big numbers and winning games regardless of open stadiums. 

This issue is overblown.

No team has the consistent wind that our stadium has.  Maybe Cleveland?  New Jersey?  How many combined SBs among those 4 teams?  4 total?  And when the Giants won it was with superior defenses.  

Do we have data on this anywhere?  We all know the 10-15 mph games aren't worth sweating.  But I feel like we've been playing in a lot of 20-25 mph games and that has impact.  

Rain, some snow is one thing.  Wind neutralizes the passing game.  

I think Kelly would have had bigger numbers if not for having a dominant running game most of his career, and playing outside in Buffalo.  

Edited by Big Blitz
  • Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Ramza86 said:

Looks like every great JA game its been more on the non windy side.

I think the elements do not give us an edge as we are a passing team first. 

Is it time to get a dome? lol

Not sure about dome, but, as Jim Kelly did, it takes time to navigate the winds at the stadium.  Once JA locks in with the winds and how windy different directions and corners can be, that's a real home advantage.

In today’s offensive NFL I think a dome would be great. We’re only going to see defenses held down more. You can’t hit anyone. Can’t touch anyone. Bad weather was a fantastic advantage and can still be the ultimate neutralizer because it evens the playing field so much at times. But we’re trying to be one of the most talented rosters in the league why would we want to even up with anyone or slow things down? 
In today’s league I would support a dome for buffalo. 

I think people are not recognizing that Josh's non throwing shoulder was injured. He got hurt in the Raiders game but I think he's healed up again. Of course it's easier to throw the ball in the less windy warmer weather but they brought Josh coz he has the arm to be able to do it in Buffalo when it matters. Not every team we'll be playing against can say the same about their qb.

One thing to consider regarding having a dome is the effect of weather on player stats. Guys playing 5 games/year in high wind/rain/snow will typically have lower overall numbers than guys playing in sunny conditions or indoors. Over a season, this could mean the difference between being an All Pro or not, making the Pro Bowl, or statistical contract escalators.

Over the course of a career, it be could be the difference in making the HOF or not. Imagine a QB is a borderline HOF candidate, and played his career in a bad weather outdoor stadium. HOF voters don't take weather factors into consideration, but mostly look at raw numbers. If he'd played in a dome, that could mean potentially 40+ more TD passes over a 15 year career. 40 more TDs puts a borderline candidate into "lock" territory.

• Awesome! (+1) 1