This Bills season is a marathon, not a sprint!

Buffalo Boy

I began to write  this screed in Royales thread about when in the game I knew we would win. 
   I don’t start threads often but the time is NOW for a change in attitude from the brunt of this fan base.

In the last week, since beating the Pats in a huge Gut Check win , I have seen at least a hundred comments combined:

Fire McD / Why did we extend him

Beane sucks / Don’t extend him

Daboll sucks / We need a new OC

Frazier sucks / We need a new DC

Josh Sucks / First 4 games were an aberration    
     Tre sucks / He got paid and is loafing

ALL our LBs suck / Let’s try some practice squanders from other teams back there.

Our DLine sucks / Must be completely rebuilt

Our Safeties ain’t all that / Marlowe should start permanently    
   Our O line sucks / need 3 new starters

Our RBs suck

Seasons over / Even IF  We make the playoffs we lose our first game

Miami will win the AFCE

🤮

🤮

🤮

Et Cetera

Repeat after me:

THE BILLS ARE A GOOD TEAM

THE SEASON IS ONLY HALFWAY OVER

HOW WE PLAYED IN OUR LOSSES ISN'T HOW WE WILL ALWAYS PLAY 

THEY ARE STILL GROWING AND TRYING TO FIGURE IT OUT AS THEY CONTEND WITH A SLEW OF INJURIES AT VITAL POSITIONS 

We are not a perfect team or roster but this team is capable of beating anyone. They are also showing signs of believing in themselves in all three squads O,D and ST.

I understand dissecting plays and criticism, it’s what we do and are supposed to do. However, when “ Bills Fans” start to sound like trolls from other fan bases in disguise, it is sad.

BILLIEVE

These ARE the Good ol Days!!!

Right now!!!

Enjoy them because they are few and far between.

Flame away😘

• Like (+1) 6

Great take. I was actually going to start a thread similar to this. I understand some concerns that were pointed out before, but the off the wall comments like you mentioned are insane. No team is perfect or will be perfect week in and week out. The key is having the personnel in place to win against any opponent, which I feel we do. Looking forward to the rest of the season. 

• Like (+1) 1

Like Aaron Rodgers said:Relax

1.we are a very good team.

going to make the playoffs 

most likely win the division, who 

cares what miami does

2. did everyone forget the twenty 

years of crap. I didn’t. This team is 

very good

3. I was around for the SB years and

this team is similar. 

• Like (+1) 3

Yeah, someone started a thread , yesterday iirc, about how we have been playing scared up until the Seagulls game, it is truly amazing that members  here don’t realize that we had TEN starters injured or out, and multiple backups in the same boat, at the same time for an extended period, and that game plans/ schemes were adjusted to compensate. These must be the same guys who really think injuries don’t effect a teams performance. Its all about IQ it would appear.

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, cwchze said:

Like Aaron Rodgers said:Relax

1.we are a very good team.

going to make the playoffs 

most likely win the division, who 

cares what miami does

2. did everyone forget the twenty 

years of crap. I didn’t. This team is 

very good

3. I was around for the SB years and

this team is similar. 

#3....team is quite similar - right people in place but no where near the O-Line the SB teams had.  That O-Line then was unfreaking real.  They ran the ball like no ones business AND ran that insane no-huddle like a swiss watch!  This years Bills are good.....next years Bills????  Wait...just wait!!!  I am hoping this years Bills can string things together for a one or three in the playoffs!  Regular season is hard.....post season is MUCH harder!!!

Good post.

The team that you see in week 1 will be much different than the team you see come week 16.  

Players get hurt.  Players improve.  Oppositions game plans take away certain aspects.  Our game plans change week to week.  Finding certain schemes and niches that work again certain style of play.  Sometime they work, sometimes the opposition has a counter.  It’s a game of chess, with live chess pieces that can make mistakes.  So many variables. 

We we just have to hope that the coaching staff can come up with the proper game plans and that the players execute on a week to week basis.  So far, they’re doing a great job of this.  Hopefully we can peak come the playoffs

Off subject-  Can’t wait to see Josh play in a dome next week.  The elements (and shoulder injury) clearly affected JA.  Come playoff time, every team we could possibly play on the road is an open stadium.  Sure, Josh has the arm to combat the elements, but can the WRs catch the passes?  There’s a reason o/u’s change so drastically based on bad weather.  Offenses play much worse when the weather is bad.  A strong arm can only take you so far

Edited by NewEra
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Seasons1992 said:

It's starting to appear that way. We will remember these guys as the 1988-1990 group. 

Spot on!!!

Every season’s team is a new team to some degree. There is always an Apples to Oranges  argument to be made: 88 vs 89 vs 90’s team etc.

However, with an admittedly small sample size I think most can agree Josh IS the guy.

The coaching staff is solid AND learning and growing before our eyes just as Josh is. Like Don O alluded to above, injuries matter and this staff is figuring it out on the fly. 
Continuity is another important factor. I bagged on Beasely last year and early this year. I was wrong! He and Josh are now on the same page. Diggs and Josh STILL have a ways to go.... and Diggs is STILL killing it on the field.

The Delhomne Panthers and Eli Manning Giants were NOT(!!!!!) great teams in the regular season and nobody was picking either to do anything in the playoffs. You get as many wins as you can to get to the dance and with a little luck and growth it is a brand new season of wonder and success.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Kwai San said:

post season is MUCH harder!!!

Absolutely is but it is half a season away.

Ben Rapelisberger was out there gimping around on a bum knee yesterday. A couple more hits before we play him and he is even more of a statue. 
    The team that scored 44 on AZ could hang with KC offensively.

Point is, let’s get there and see. No idea what any of these teams will be when we get there, including ours.

10 minutes ago, Buffalo Boy said:

Absolutely is but it is half a season away.

Ben Rapelisberger was out there gimping around on a bum knee yesterday. A couple more hits before we play him and he is even more of a statue. 
    The team that scored 44 on AZ could hang with KC offensively.

Point is, let’s get there and see. No idea what any of these teams will be when we get there, including ours.

Soo looking forward to the Bills D teeing off on him!!!  I honestly thought I was the only one who called him for what he is....A RAPELISBERGER........

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Buffalo Boy said:

I began to write  this screed in Royales thread about when in the game I knew we would win. 
   I don’t start threads often but the time is NOW for a change in attitude from the brunt of this fan base.

In the last week, since beating the Pats in a huge Gut Check win , I have seen at least a hundred comments combined:

Fire McD / Why did we extend him

Beane sucks / Don’t extend him

Daboll sucks / We need a new OC

Frazier sucks / We need a new DC

Josh Sucks / First 4 games were an aberration    
     Tre sucks / He got paid and is loafing

ALL our LBs suck / Let’s try some practice squanders from other teams back there.

Our DLine sucks / Must be completely rebuilt

Our Safeties ain’t all that / Marlowe should start permanently    
   Our O line sucks / need 3 new starters

Our RBs suck

Seasons over / Even IF  We make the playoffs we lose our first game

Miami will win the AFCE

🤮

🤮

🤮

Et Cetera

Repeat after me:

THE BILLS ARE A GOOD TEAM

THE SEASON IS ONLY HALFWAY OVER

HOW WE PLAYED IN OUR LOSSES ISN'T HOW WE WILL ALWAYS PLAY 

THEY ARE STILL GROWING AND TRYING TO FIGURE IT OUT AS THEY CONTEND WITH A SLEW OF INJURIES AT VITAL POSITIONS 

We are not a perfect team or roster but this team is capable of beating anyone. They are also showing signs of believing in themselves in all three squads O,D and ST.

I understand dissecting plays and criticism, it’s what we do and are supposed to do. However, when “ Bills Fans” start to sound like trolls from other fan bases in disguise, it is sad.

BILLIEVE

Right now!!!

Flame away😘

It’s pretty common for sports fans to be reactionary and way out of touch with reality.  It’s part of what makes following sports so fun.  But a good amount of Bills fans (those who are vocal anyway) seem to take this to an extreme.  When the team is winning they are Super Bowl contenders, but when they have a bad game or stumble, they are going to lose out.  

My theory is that suffering through the great drought for 2 decades did some serious damage to the Bills fan base - especially after a loss.  Rather than letting the season play out, some fans want drastic measure to be taken and you’ve outlined many above.   Everything it appears that there’s a chance that the Bills have weakness there’s a feeling of “here, we go again...”. Sean McDermott becomes Dick Jauron, Josh Allen becomes JP Losman, Brandon Beane becomes Doug Whaley

I subscribe to something that Matthew Fairburn said on his podcast along the lines that in the NFL that in reality after a win, a team often times isn’t as good as they might have looked and after a loss they aren’t as bad as they might have looked.  

It’s a long season and there’s a number for games ahead that could go either way starting next week.  We do have to let things play out

• Like (+1) 1

Each game is 6.25% of your season in the NFL so fans overreact to one game in both directions. I think the Bills ran into the right match up in Seattle. Arizona is similar so hopefully Josh and the offense can come out on fire and get Az away from running and let the defense loose.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Buffalo Boy said:

BILLIEVE

Right now!!!

Flame away😘

For the youngsters and for us that may have forgot, no one said it better than Carly.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Amongst those that seem constantly discouraged, there is one overriding principle - that wins are fake (or at best flimsy) evidence of a good team whereas losses are real evidence of a bad team.  So to the most pessimistic mind we're 0-2 in games with convincing results and 7-0 in games with unconvincing results.  

Then there are the skeptics who genuinely see a SB win and a SB win only as a success and don't think we're quite that good yet.  I don't have that perspective myself but I respect it seeing as it's the standard that good players and coaches have.

Edited by SageAgainstTheMachine
  • Like (+1) 1

Well said sir.  I concur 100%.  And I have no problem admitting that after the Patriots win, I was livid. I had never been mad after a victory in all my years as a Bills fan, and I let it be known, specifically to the tune of I was one who felt like Frazier needed to hand the play-calling duties over to McDermott.  But thanks to my fellow TBD'ers, they helped calm me down and relax.  

Bottom line is, we have a GOOD football team that has the potential to be GREAT, and IMO, we still haven't played our best football!  This has been one helluva season, and to be honest, no matter what happens the rest of the year, I'm doing just like you said....I'm enjoying the hell out of this ride!!

• Like (+1) 1