Allen's maturation has been impressive to watch...key audible changed the game yesterday

Big Turk

1 hour ago, matter2003 said:

Feliciano stated that the huge play to Brown on that 3rd and 16 where Allen threw the WR screen and Brown raced down to the 2 was an audible from Josh because he noticed an all out pressure coming and saw the DB playing way off Brown. 

We have heard several other times this year about great checks Allen has made at the line that have resulted in big plays but perhaps none was bigger than this one to really put a dagger in Seattle's attempted comeback at that point in the game.

This has now happened on multiple occasions this season where the opposing team appears to be getting momentum and we come right back on O to kill it and effectively put the game away. This point cannot be over-emphasized - it is critical to break the other team's will at certain points of the game. The play you noted yesterday was my literal jump out of my couch moment. Exhilarating to say the least. Daboll and Allen seem to be fully in sync now and having our full complement of WRs is extremely important as Diggs, Beas, Brown and Davis take their turns making key plays. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, matter2003 said:

Feliciano stated that the huge play to Brown on that 3rd and 16 where Allen threw the WR screen and Brown raced down to the 2 was an audible from Josh because he noticed an all out pressure coming and saw the DB playing way off Brown. 

We have heard several other times this year about great checks Allen has made at the line that have resulted in big plays but perhaps none was bigger than this one to really put a dagger in Seattle's attempted comeback at that point in the game.

Seeing Allen's maturation and him making great checks based on the film study and preparation and understanding of what is going on is great to see and he is only scratching the surface of his potential...

Great point! I thought the same thing. 

It's crazy to me how much lazy analysis there is by guys getting paid hundreds of thousands of dollars to do just that-analyze!

Huard was alright yesterday, not as bad as most, with the Allen narrative being mostly positive and pointing out the shoulder injury jmpact. kudos to Hasselbeck as well.

Then you have clowns like Bradshaw et al, who make statements like 50% in college,50% in the pros.  He's inaccurate, inconsistent....yadda yadda yadda

They leave out the part about didn't like the draft pick and I haven't bothered to do any analysis since.

Just now, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

It's crazy to me how much lazy analysis there is by guys getting paid hundreds of thousands of dollars to do just that-analyze!

Huard was alright yesterday, not as bad as most, with the Allen narrative being mostly positive and pointing out the shoulder injury jmpact. kudos to Hasselbeck as well.

Then you have clowns like Bradshaw et al, who make statements like 50% in college,50% in the pros.  He's inaccurate, inconsistent....yadda yadda yadda

They leave out the part about didn't like the draft pick and I haven't bothered to do any analysis since.

Bradshaw could only dream about being as good as Allen already is...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

Bradshaw is, was and always will be a joke.  His comments pre-game yesterday proved that.   No consideration of the weather, game plan, etc. , just Josh Allen is back to his old form, inaccurate blah blah blah.  

I have dealt with a shoulder injury, not claiming to be any sort of expert, but it screws with everything you do, much less trying to go out and play QB in the NFL.  I have no inclination to think it didn’t have an effect on him throwing the ball. 

All that said, Josh had a really good day yesterday and yes it came against a poor D, but he actually executed.  He missed one play where the announcers pointed out he had a chance to go to Beasley underneath and get a first down and I don’t recall who it was, but on the same side of the field there was a guy who was open deep.  He hesitated and got taken down and the series was over.  That was about the only “bad” play he had.   Yesterday was very encouraging.  Next week the D will be much stronger, hopefully he brings the same game and can put up points again.  Also for the love of God I hope they spy Murry, he’s obnoxiously fast.

• Like (+1) 1

That throw to Beasley running for his life rolling to the right for 20 yards was another of those Rodgers-esque throws he has made this year. Right on the money. The young man is growing up right before our very eyes. 

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Antonio said:

I noticed the audible and new right away it was a screen to Brown. Same as the Pats game I believe, just different words, last time he called Tornado, this time was something Gold.

Yep vs the Pats it was "Gold Tornado". Yesterday it was "Gold Whip". He might need a new audible without the word "gold" in it

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

One thing I noticed in general was that he was really taking his time to look over what the defense was doing, and seemed to often delay the count when he saw a potential blitz.  

They still got to him a lot, but it just looked like he bought extra time on a few key plays w/ that...

Not only in his maturity to move to the correct call, but even after a phenomenal game - he took blame for not adjusting faster to the Seahawks looks as they blitzed him.  

He came out and said he missed a few calls and recognized it and that got them into the right plays later.  It is great to see him continue to recognize these things in game now and make adjustments.  In year 1 - it would take a few games to see things enough and make adjustments and it was mostly done by the coaches.  In year 2 - he started seeing things, but the adjustments were few and far between - leading to games like NE last year.  After that he took it to heart and adjustments have been coming faster and faster and even in game.

The Seahawks game went from mid-deep intermediate patters for big gains - to multiple screens and shorter passes after they blitzed to force them out of that.  Great job by Josh and Daboll to get to this point.

Edited by Rochesterfan
  • Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, aristocrat said:

so help me out here. which games did allen where the left arm brace?  cause that seems to have been the reason for his problems

1 hour ago, Worstcaseontario said:

Hasselbeck said he had a similar brace on and his throws were off during time, which could of been why josh wasnt as good weeks prior 

I'm sure the brace was part of it, but they also had two bad weather games, and they also played two of the best teams in the NFL during that stretch. I do not think it is accurate to pin everything on Josh's shoulder. There were a couple of INT's he threw that were clearly a result of decision making, not innaccuracy.

47 minutes ago, WatfordBills said:

Yep vs the Pats it was "Gold Tornado". Yesterday it was "Gold Whip". He might need a new audible without the word "gold" in it

It was Gold solo rip (maybe whip) in the Jets game. 

I was thinking about this yesterday but I think were ok.  Its an audible for a Cover 0 blitz.  Thats hard to check out of and the throw is going to the WR with a defender playing off coverage it looks like (usually Brown cause youre gonna press beasley) so youre not alerting a guy directly defending the play.  Thus, I think we might be ok. 

My biggest fear would be the press player going to brown and making an impact play (like a pick).  Otherwise maybe a rusher or that CB recognizes and makes the play for a small gain only which wouldnt be the end of the world.

1 hour ago, WatfordBills said:

Bills Brass better have someone scoping the boards!

Lets not get outcoached because we are lazy changing up audibles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

32 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

Gold finger.....

'

golden eye!