What happened to the running game & establishing it????

2 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

You are the worst type of troll, following people and exagrerating comments and the inability to let go.

Let me explain it again.  The Bills as much a fan as I am, generally the prior three years played for the most part very dull boring football.  They had a 25-23 record, were outscored badly in 2017-2018 and were ranked 30,29 & 23 on Offense.  2019 was an improvement, but also an easy schedule.  The didn't throw for 300 yards the first 48 games under McD.  If not my team, I would not have wanted to watch them.

I want to be exhilerated watching a football game and excited by the action on the field.  Yep the defense was good in 2019 (aided by a weak schedule), however the feeling often was "Don't make a mistyake on offense, we're going to be ultra conservative, and want to keep the game in the teens".  Anyone thinking that was not the case, is kidding themselves.

It was an honest take. 

The Pats game wasn't exciting enough?  I almost had a heart attack. 

Also to a previous post, do you really think our offense's decision to run the ball almost cost us that game and not the defense's inability to stop them on a pair of drives in the 2nd half?

Does anyone else think having John Brown heathy is one of the keys to this offense’s success?  This is the first time Brown seemed healthy in about a month and he was making plays everywhere...

Edited by mannc
  • Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, YattaOkasan said:

The Pats game wasn't exciting enough?  I almost had a heart attack. 

Also to a previous post, do you really think our offense's decision to run the ball almost cost us that game and not the defense's inability to stop them on a pair of drives in the 2nd half?

I thought we easily should have hung 30+ on them.  

Knowing the defense is so so at best, you need to go out with that attitude.

Yes exciting as the score goes, but frustrating to allow a decimated NE team to stick around.

3 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Yes tongue is firmly in cheek as this is exactly what I have been talking about & expecting from the Bills.😜

They did what I have been posting & talking about for 2+ years.  

I am a Bills fan (as per my screen name) and have gone on & on about the need for passing & offense.  I have explained I knew nothing about Allen when drafted, outside #7 & that he needed to be a Franchise QB.  I wanted trial by fire & see them not baby him.  

Maybe the best thing that happened in retrospect was that McD just couldn't let go of his Peterman love and named him the starter in 2018, because if it was a capable veteran, maybe Allen would have been held back longer.

The Bills played the 32nd ranked pass defense, who had already allowed 2-400 yard passing games against them (and only one < 300).  This was exactly what the Bills needed to do & they did it.

I said in those threads 350 & 3 TD's minimum & had the bills scoring 38+ (and Seattle in the 30's).

This is exactly what they will need to do vs. Arizona too.  

Sure more running vs. Arizona, and some better protection for Allen too, won't hurt.

Today I do give game balls to Dabol & McD, as they coached exactly like I've been wanting them to.

And before you you get all prissy, I was the one in the thread asking what you predicted the Bills would go vs. NYJ, NE, Seattle & Arizona, I said 4-0.

No one cares

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

I thought we easily should have hung 30+ on them.  

Knowing the defense is so so at best, you need to go out with that attitude.

Yes exciting as the score goes, but frustrating to allow a decimated NE team to stick around.

So only Seattle and San Fran hung 30 on them, and both those teams ran for 150+ yards.  They havent given up 300+ yards passing on the year (even to Seattle and KC).  Expecting us to be slinging it all over was just not realistic.

1 hour ago, 1ManRaid said:

Even if we had a bad QB, you still don't look a gift horse in the mouth (what does that even mean exactly) by NOT taking your chances throwing on a team giving 300+ pass yards to EVERYONE.  How a good coach like Pete doesn't recognize that is wild.  Then again he IS the guy who decided to not give the ball to Lynch on the 1 yard line and reuse a passing play the Pats had already seen...

Part of checking a horses health is looking in the mouth and inspecting the teeth because they’ll show signs of malnutrition and mistreatment. Basically means that it’s insulting and inappropriate to inspect a gift as though it’s a purchase. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, YattaOkasan said:

So only Seattle and San Fran hung 30 on them, and both those teams ran for 150+ yards.  They havent given up 300+ yards passing on the year (even to Seattle and KC).  Expecting us to be slinging it all over was just not realistic.

And they were without Gilmore too.  18 passes was playing scared.....

Just now, Billsfan1972 said:

And they were without Gilmore too.  18 passes was playing scared.....

So not going to address my points...  They are a good to very good pass defense (even without Gilmore).  Th teams that have hung 30+ on them did it on the ground (were at least 28 if we can catch one ball).  Keep up the crusade to pass more while the data says running was the correct choice.  

4 hours ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

Why?   The Seattle backfield was ripe for the picking. 

You go for the easy fruit.  

looool, cmon brah the joke was shown in the first 3 words of the post!

3 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

I'm having fun with those who talk about the running game.  The Bills are fine, but their strength right now is their passing game & the 18 passes vs. NE, was playing it too close to the vest.

I’m glad we can pass it all over the place too and was pumped we showed them hawks what’s up. But in saying all that I’ve been around and watched enough football to no when playoffs get here you better be able to run the ball because you will be playing against better talent so you got to mix it up could you imagine playing Pittsburgh and them knowing your going to pass every down it would get ugly fast. Now don’t get me wrong having a franchise QB is way better then running the ball and playing good defense every year going 7-9 8-8. We’re just a few players away on defense and we’re a SB contender every year for a while anyway 

7 minutes ago, YattaOkasan said:

So not going to address my points...  They are a good to very good pass defense (even without Gilmore).  Th teams that have hung 30+ on them did it on the ground (were at least 28 if we can catch one ball).  Keep up the crusade to pass more while the data says running was the correct choice.  

Best defensive back wasn't playing, Denver missing much of their offense & every other team threw weill into the 200's.  Only Buffalo threw under 20 passes.  

Water under the bridge & a win, but I was concerned.

5 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

What about the punting game? We aren't punting enough!

Good idea, am starting a Punting thread!!!!😉

Yeah, all things being equal and not thinking about Seattle's defense, you want to run against them to keep the ball away from Russell Wilson.  Fortunately, the Bills understood things aren't all equal on the Seattle defense.  They're lousy versus the pass, and even though Buffalo hadn't done a great deal through the last few games, they know they still had the ability.  Weather conditions were ideal for passing on Sunday.  In retrospect, Pete Carroll made a bad call.

56 minutes ago, Buffalo Junction said:

Part of checking a horses health is looking in the mouth and inspecting the teeth because they’ll show signs of malnutrition and mistreatment. Basically means that it’s insulting and inappropriate to inspect a gift as though it’s a purchase. 

Oh so basically "you don't count the money from the mafia guy/drug deal".

4 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

I am a Bills fan (as per my screen name) and have gone on & on about the need for passing & offense.  I have explained I knew nothing about Allen when drafted, outside #7 & that he needed to be a Franchise QB.  I wanted trial by fire & see them not baby him.  

Maybe the best thing that happened in retrospect was that McD just couldn't let go of his Peterman love and named him the starter in 2018, because if it was a capable veteran, maybe Allen would have been held back longer.

As you state, you knew nothing about Josh, so let me fill you in.  He was viewed as a raw QB with outstanding tools.  He was considered one of the highest traditional ceiling QBs to come out in years (arm strength, height, athleticism) but behind in almost all other categories - such as time in D1 program, reading Ds, accuracy %, etc.  He was going to need time to develop.  A lot of fans here were upset with the pick, in part, because they are impatient, and one risk of taking a raw QB is the time element of determining if he is actually a franchise QB.  Many said "wrong Josh" because Rosen had a higher floor and was thought to be a quicker fix.  The FO took a huge risk in selecting JA,  put their careers at stake pretty much.

When you write above about your desire for "trial by fire" your ignorance on Josh's predraft status works against you.  Josh needed to be developed.  The fear when Josh got thrown to the wolfes was it could have ruined him - he wasn't ready. 

As for your ridiculous hindsight criticism of what happened in retrospect, lets not forget the other side of the coin.  The Mahomes model of waiting a year behind Alex Smith didn't turn out too bad- and he wasn't considered as raw as Allen coming out.

Quit congratulating yourself that you finally see the Josh everyone hoped would develop.  He wasn't ready for this 2+ years ago.  Will you ever give this coaching staff credit for the development of Josh?

3 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

As you state, you knew nothing about Josh, so let me fill you in.  He was viewed as a raw QB with outstanding tools.  He was considered one of the highest traditional ceiling QBs to come out in years (arm strength, height, athleticism) but behind in almost all other categories - such as time in D1 program, reading Ds, accuracy %, etc.  He was going to need time to develop.  A lot of fans here were upset with the pick, in part, because they are impatient, and one risk of taking a raw QB is the time element of determining if he is actually a franchise QB.  Many said "wrong Josh" because Rosen had a higher floor and was thought to be a quicker fix.  The FO took a huge risk in selecting JA,  put their careers at stake pretty much.

When you write above about your desire for "trial by fire" your ignorance on Josh's predraft status works against you.  Josh needed to be developed.  The fear when Josh got thrown to the wolfes was it could have ruined him - he wasn't ready. 

As for your ridiculous hindsight criticism of what happened in retrospect, lets not forget the other side of the coin.  The Mahomes model of waiting a year behind Alex Smith didn't turn out too bad- and he wasn't considered as raw as Allen coming out.

Quit congratulating yourself that you finally see the Josh everyone hoped would develop.  He wasn't ready for this 2+ years ago.  Will you ever give this coaching staff credit for the development of Josh?

An emphatic NO.....  They showed their pigheadedness by naming Peterman the starter in 2018 (a proven qb like Fitz would have made much more sense).  This is the old adage that we've heard over & over defending McD and his decisions & I disagree with them.  

I read the same things, however they drafted him and were prepared to have him sit behind Peterman for how long?  They were incredibly lucky week 1 was Baltimore & Peterman went 5-18 24 yards, 2 Ints & 2 sacks or his development would have been slower.

Where we are now I'm excited about.