The officiating today was horrendous

55 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Didn't seem that bad to me. I don't think it's illegal to grab a helmet, especially if you slide down, as he did. It wasn't a hit to the helmet. More a gentle wrap. I thought the Hughes one could have gone either way, but you hit a guy in the neck/head area and they'll call it, and Jerry did. I disagree with how you describe a couple of those possible PI incidents in #4 as well. 

Didn't see any face masks, but I wasn't looking.

There seems to be a disconnect in the bolded

• Like (+1) 2
4 minutes ago, Muppy said:

when isn't the officiating horrendous in the NFL its practically a given

I think the replacement refs were planted during the "ref strike" to make us appreciate the usual awful refs.

Edited by Doc Brown

I can live with bad officiating as long as it goes equally bad for both teams. Completely lopsided today for much of the game and had the announcers talking out of both sides of their mouth.

A Wilson phantom roughing the passer, "Well, if you get anywhere near the helmet....", a defender just about twists Allen's helmet off and nada, some uncomfortable throat clearing.

Hughes bumped Wilson's chest, and Russ went down like a soccer player -  maybe just good acting? And agree on the two-handed horse collar as it looked like Allen had to campaign for a late-thrown flag.

We won, but I felt the zebras made it a closer game than it should have been had they been a bit more even-handed.

Metcalf is a TE with WR speed. I was not that sure about him coming out of Ol' Mss with the way they used him, but he has taken to the coaching and opportunities with Seattle and is running better routes, high points the ball, and catches with his hands. He was a beast out there today.

39 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

That is a bit deceiving.  The horse collar would have been 15 yards but it was only half the distance to the goal line.  

7/65 - 1/2....so at that point it was 7-1. Sorry but that's pretty lopsided. Let's face it Russell Wilson is the odds on favorite to be MVP. And he's also an NFL favorite. 

10 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

7/65 - 1/2....so at that point it was 7-1. Sorry but that's pretty lopsided. Let's face it Russell Wilson is the odds on favorite to be MVP. And he's also an NFL favorite. 

You said yards not number of penalties.  If the horse collar happens outside the 30 yard line its a full 15 yards.  

Bills got a crucial illegal contact call and a great no call on Wallace.  

Refs were bad but they don't have an agenda.  Let it go

10 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

You said yards not number of penalties.  If the horse collar happens outside the 30 yard line its a full 15 yards.  

Bills got a crucial illegal contact call and a great no call on Wallace.  

Refs were bad but they don't have an agenda.  Let it go

The refs dont necessarily have an agenda, but stars get the benefit of calls. We haven't had many lately, and, so we dont get them very often. While hard to prove there is a lot of evidence that points to this being likely, and some referees in major sports have come out and said as much. Some feel th what is good for the sport is for big name players to do well. Where referees can help that happen they sometimes do. Its like an extra factor I think when they calculate a call, in that split second, Im convinced it is a part of the math in just about every call refs make or dont make. Im not saying it is THE factor, but it is a part of the process for sure.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/25980368/how-former-ref-tim-donaghy-conspired-fix-nba-games

Edited by mykidsdad
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ethan in Portland said:

That is a bit deceiving.  The horse collar would have been 15 yards but it was only half the distance to the goal line.  

So 65-15 then? That's not really deceiving, that's one sided.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

No one even mentioned the Gabe Davis touchdown that was ruled out of bounds.  That should have been called a score to get the automatic review.

On the Dallas false start non-penalty, the ref was right there, and when the ball was snapped he point to his left, back upfield, indicating the thought the player was moving backward, legally.  I'm not saying it wasn't BS, but I'm pretty sure the ref saw something that he thought was legal

6 hours ago, BananaB said:

Wilson is one of the NFL darlings, those guys always get the calls. 

The pass interference on Tre, Metcalf pushed him twice on the way up the field. Sure we would of got called for roughing the passer  but there is a big difference between 40 yards and 15

The problem with that play was the flag for roughing the passer was bull too

6 hours ago, CapeBreton said:

How does that illegal motion on Deejay Dallas not get called? That was absurd. 

The ref was watching him still move and bills players and coaches are yelling at the ref. He points and shakes his head no.

Refs needed to keep the Seahawks in the game just like they kept the rams in the game. Both games would have been major blow outs with out the refs

• Like (+1) 1
6 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Your first part of your first example is not a good one.  It was a good clean sack by the defender.  No helmet to helmet.  Wrapped Allen up and did not bring him down violently.  

I agree with you wholeheartedly on the Hughes rouging call.  That was terrible.  He did everything perfectly and never hit his helmet.  Ref saw Wilson get pushed back and just assumed it was a head shot.  

You can’t touch the QBs helmet at all. Doesn’t have to be helmet to helmet. Players get flagged for lightly brushing it. 

9 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Setting aside the usual no-calls on the holds that appear to go on every week now, the officiating today was at its absolute worst. By way of example:

1) I have no idea what a roughing the passer looks like. On one play, the defender grabs Josh around the neck, twists, and takes him down. All in the pocket. No call. On another, Hughes has his arms up and literally hits Wilson on his shoulder pads. Roughing. On another call, Wilson heaves a deep bomb and a Bills defender just takes out his knees. No call. 

2) The refs were just flat-out missing or not calling pretty basic pre-snap penalties. The obvious illegal motion on Seattle. No call. That was critical and led to a TD. On the last Metcalf TD, the play clock was at zero for a full second. No call.

3) I just went back and watched parts of the game, and guys on both teams were just grabbing each others’s face masks all game in the trenches. What happened to all those “hands to the face” penalties we have seen over the last few weeks? 

4) The PI calls today were just uniformly awful. Inadvertently tangling feet with Beasley.  PI. Tre touching Metcalf’s arm on a twisting deep ball near the sideline. PI.  Diggs and defender barely touching arms on a fade. PI. Diggs on a bomb and a DB just diving into him. No PI. 

I just hope we never see this same crew again. 

I’m gonna go back to do the rewatch today, I’ll keep an eye an out for these calls. Thanks for the heads up, I was worried about a call when we hit Mr. Unlimited below the knees, and that Jerry call was atrocious.

• Like (+1) 1
9 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Setting aside the usual no-calls on the holds that appear to go on every week now, the officiating today was at its absolute worst. By way of example:

1) I have no idea what a roughing the passer looks like. On one play, the defender grabs Josh around the neck, twists, and takes him down. All in the pocket. No call. On another, Hughes has his arms up and literally hits Wilson on his shoulder pads. Roughing. On another call, Wilson heaves a deep bomb and a Bills defender just takes out his knees. No call. 

2) The refs were just flat-out missing or not calling pretty basic pre-snap penalties. The obvious illegal motion on Seattle. No call. That was critical and led to a TD. On the last Metcalf TD, the play clock was at zero for a full second. No call.

3) I just went back and watched parts of the game, and guys on both teams were just grabbing each others’s face masks all game in the trenches. What happened to all those “hands to the face” penalties we have seen over the last few weeks? 

4) The PI calls today were just uniformly awful. Inadvertently tangling feet with Beasley.  PI. Tre touching Metcalf’s arm on a twisting deep ball near the sideline. PI.  Diggs and defender barely touching arms on a fade. PI. Diggs on a bomb and a DB just diving into him. No PI. 

I just hope we never see this same crew again. 

It was poor around the league. AZ-MIA have was particularly bad.

3 hours ago, Utah John said:

No one even mentioned the Gabe Davis touchdown that was ruled out of bounds.  That should have been called a score to get the automatic review.

On the Dallas false start non-penalty, the ref was right there, and when the ball was snapped he point to his left, back upfield, indicating the thought the player was moving backward, legally.  I'm not saying it wasn't BS, but I'm pretty sure the ref saw something that he thought was legal

the problem with the Dallas false start play was that he was set and it was an obvious false start, and then he tried to move a little like he was going in motion to try to mask it. That usually doesn’t work in terms of faking the refs out, but it obviously worked there.