A Few Thoughts About the Seahawks Game, in no particular order

Virgil

I really connect with this write up. Nice job.

Re: #9 - I couldn't agree more. The way the pressure came from so many, so often was brilliant and fun to watch. McD has talked about the D finding its identity. Well, more of what I saw yesterday seems to suit us fine. Make the opposing QB uncomfortable. If you can do that to Russell Wilson, imagine others melting from the constant pressure. As you mentioned, you may get burned time to time. So be it. With our offense, a big play D to compliment is just what the Dr. ordered. 

On to the desert. 

Edited by inaugural balls
  • Like (+1) 1

On 11/8/2020 at 7:29 PM, Virgil said:

Criticism and disagreeing is different from being derogatory or insulting.  I’m one of the first to say when I don’t know something or concede a point.  

Clearly, you have a lot of animosity or this is just how you are as a person.  Either way, feel free to ignore my posts or write your own recaps since mine are trash.  It should be easy for you. 

Either way, I’ll just ignore you as a user and never think about you again. 

He may be a Republican who hasn’t got past the election.

On 11/8/2020 at 6:52 PM, Virgil said:

In full transparency, I didn't see a win today.  Not because I don't have faith in the Bills, but because I believe the Seahawks are arguably the best team in the NFL.  I know there defense is statistically crap, but they have Russell Wilson, who to me is the best overall quarterback in the league.  A step further, Russ is my favorite non-Bill in the league.  His story in the NFL, his ability to make 4th quarter comebacks, and they accuracy he eventually showed today is something I believe is elite.  With that being said, I hoped we could win 1 of our next 2 games to keep pace, as NFC games are good to win, but not deal breakers.  In any case, I was very happy to be wrong and Andre Roberts proved that very quickly on the kick-off.

1 - Allen - I've said in previous games that you can just tell from the beginning if Josh has "it" or doesn't.  Today, he absolutely had it.  Josh was straight up phenomenal in all aspects of his game.  He showed his athleticism avoiding some (but not enough) sacks, he was accurate, he showed legs when he needed to, and he ended up being the best quarterback on the field today (and you know how I feel about Wilson).  Nothing rattled Josh today and he just kept on coming.  Even with our typical 3rd quarter lull, Allen was lights out in way that validates his start of season performance.  I don't know if his hurt shoulder, bad weather, or the adjusted scheduled, but Josh was back to MVP form today and against an elite team.  The only knock on Allen today was the sacks he took right around the 35 that affected FG range.  It didn't come back to bite us, but I feel like he's had this issues a few times. 

2 - Klein - One game doesn't earn you overall redemption, but no one tell AJ Klein that.  Where the hell did this game come from?  Klein was all over the field today and laying the wood on guys.  In his post game, AJ said the game plan was good.  Well, if the game plan was to absolutely terrorize the offense, then copy and past for the rest of the season.  His sack, forced fumble, and recovery on Russ was borderline criminal.  That was the kind of play that makes you look for a flag because something just had to be illegal there.  In a game where Milano was a big concern to be missed, AJ handled business in coverage and rushing the passer.  He showed great speed and I honestly think his play elevated Edmunds a bit, who's also been missing in action.  Just a great game and I hope to see more of it before the official apology tour begins.

3 - Big Hits - I've never embedded video's on TSW, but this game made me wish I could.  There were some hits in this game that made me audibly react.  There was one kick return in particular where I don't know how the Seahawks returner got up.  Even my boy Russ took shots today that's going to require an ice bath later.  I'm going to get to the coaching and prep later, but this is a game that will be fun to watch the replay of on defense for a while to come.  Is there an angry hits version of angry runs?  If so, I know a few plays...

4 - Man got the rub on, sister got the rub

They're goin' around doing the rub, the rub

Ain't it crazy, ain't it crazy

Ain't it crazy one day keep on rubbin' that thing.

5 - QB Pressure - I'm going to bring up both teams here as they each did a great job of getting to the QB.  There were more sellout blitzes than I've seen in a long time that were feast or famine.  We had a few that left some guys wide open, but that's the price you pay.  I love the dialed up blitzes as Russel was running for his life a lot.  Russ had his life saved a few times by the blocking back, but even that wasn't enough a lot.  Both teams showed five man lines and still sent extra guys.  Hughes continued his great season with another strip sack.  Addison chased down Wilson with surprising speed.  Kudos to Frazier for mixing up who that extra guy was as I saw a variety of DB's going after Russ.  Both QB's overall handled the pressure the best they could, but I overall think the Bills offensive line held up better, regardless of what the sack total's were.  A few of those were on Josh for not getting rid of the ball fast enough. 

6 - DB's - Metcalf/Lockett - I've eaten my crow a few weeks back, but I'll continue with how impressive DK looks on the field.  Dude is an absolute specimen and seems to have squashed any concerns about body control.  The deep ball over Tre was just unfair.  I was actually surprised how much single deep safety we ran and dared Russ to beat us.  Other than that, most of the receivers catches were from deep cushions and the typical McD "bend but don't break."  Lockett was surprisingly not heard from at all as it seemed our DB's did a solid job keeping the receivers out of the game.  Most of Russ's passing yards game from that broken deep ball TD and TE's downfield.  I think those were acceptable losses within our game plan.  Poyer balled out again and is unquestionably our defensive MVP and it was nice to see Tre get some vindication with the 4th quarter interception.

7 - Officiating - Talk about a one sided officiating crew.  I don't remember the full details, but there was a 3rd and long where they call a late hit against Russ and PI.  Both calls were bogus to me.  Then, there was an illegal shift that ended with a pass to our 3 yard line that wasn't called.  This next one could go both ways, but the offensive holding seemed to be completely ignored against the Bills.  Hughes got called on a terrible personal foul that brought the Seahawks into Bills territory.  Lastly, the Davis possible touchdown pass not even getting reviewed was rough to me, however McD didn't challenge it either.  Regardless, it felt like the Ref kept the Seahawks in it on a few drives and tried to knock us back.  Either way, nothing we couldn't overcome.

8 - Receivers - This truly was a game for everyone.  I don't know if it was the Seahawks D or Daboll's play calling, but guys were open all over the field for Allen.  Most of Diggs catches were with huge cushions and runs after the catch.  Brown looked healthy for the first time in weeks, and it showed on the field.  Beasley was reliable when needed, but honestly wasn't needed as much.  Davis also got in the action with some nice grabs.  Daboll also called up two perfectly timed screens.  This is the type of game film that should keep upcoming opposing defensive coordinators up at night.  I honestly don't know how you can stop all these guys.  Moreso, if this is Daboll figuring out how to take advantage of the short yardage game, look out, because you know we can handle the deeper game. 

9 - Frazier - Some would say that giving up 30+ points can't be a good defensive effort.  I would say this was our best defensive effort of the season.  The Bills looked like a completely different team out there today.  We didn't give up a passing TD until the broken play and then in garbage time.  We gave up a few big gainers, but also created a lot of negative plays.  Our blitzes were exotic and wonderfully disguised.  This level of adaption in scheme for our 9th game gave me more hope than anything else from this game.  We showed the ability to adapt and succeed in a new identity.  We knew the Seahawks couldn't be completely shut down, so we found the wins where we could and it was enough to put us in the drivers seat the entire game.  Just a brilliant effort.

10 - McD - When your team comes out flat, the coach takes the fall.  When your team comes out hot, stays hot, and puts a boot on the other teams neck throughout the entire game, the goach should also get the credit.  At 7-2, McD had his team play their most complete game tonight.  Even with Milano out, and the decision to bench Phillips again, McD pulled all the right levers today.  We took down one of the best teams in the league and never looked back once we took the lead.  For those who want to attach our wins to this point, there's nothing you can say to dimish this accomplishment.  McD had them ready and I think all of us are a little more ready for the rest of this season.

Go Bills!

Hey Virgil! Rookie poster here (I’ve enjoyed and have come to this site for years though).

Just want to say how much I enjoy your postgame thoughts. It’s one of the posts I look forward to reading postgame.

Keep up the great work, bro!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 11/8/2020 at 8:02 PM, Southern Bills Fan said:

Good write up. In regards to number 2, it seems like Klein is much more comfortable attacking the line of scrimmage than dropping back into coverage. 

Klein isn't much of a physical specimen for an NFL LB, but he's always had good instincts and awareness.