Week 10: Bills at Cardinals

YoloinOhio

58 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So I listened to McDermott's presser.  Couple additional points to the tweets above:

(...)

3. McD was asked about Knox.  My interpretation of what McDermott said is that Knox is officially down in the Dog House.  When McD starts saying things like "it's within his control" and "he has the ability" and "at the end of the day, you got to get it done", that seems to be what that means.

Just to be clear how much is my interpretation, I went back and transcribed what McD said about Knox.

Jay Skurski commented that Dawson Knox has been through some adversity, not the least of which a stint on the covid list, and asked "how has he dealt with that adversity in your mind?" 

McD: Listen, I've never been on the covid list myself so I really can't totally understand it, but I can appreciate and empathize with the challenge of being on that list and the challenge of being quarantined a little bit. That's not an easy thing to do for anyone, let alone a guy that's used to being around his teammates and whatnot.  So yeah, it's been a little bit of an adverse start to his season, midway through the year."  Then he went into positivity: "I'm hopeful and encouraged by what I've seen this week to this point and looking forward to watching him play this week.  I think he's going to have a great week." 

Follow on question about how Knox was a guy there were high expectations of and "are those building blocks still there that maybe over the second half of the season he can take those steps?"

McD: (speaking very firmly and brusquely) "Right.  It's in his control. He has the ability, as you said, and I don't like to use that word ability as it relates to anyone. But at the end of the day you've got to get the job done and Dawson is very well aware of that.  He has the skill.  And we've got..we feel like.. at a minimum, 7 more games in the regular season, and I can't wait to watch him and his career take off through the next seven games"

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's about as much of a public call-out as I've ever heard McDermott give to a player.  Similar to when he was asked about Lee Smith's false start penalties and he said "He needs to get Locked In" very firmly (Smith's playing time declined thereafter).  My translation is that there was some aspect or aspects of dealing with the Covid isolation period that Knox did NOT handle as the team wanted to see (maybe he lived on pizza and came back thicc, maybe he came back with his head in a "dark place"), that the team is not happy about how he played yesterday (that whiff on the Adams block hurt, and I wasn't even pulverized as a result.  I mean, Damn Dawson, at least get in his way or throw yourself at his legs or something), and that while the team is still high on his potential, at this point Dawson has 7 games to "shape up" and show he can exhibit his skill and live up to his potential on Sunday.

All said in McD's "best behaved" positive,  encouraging "I know you can do this and I'm going to be the first in line to give you props when you do" style.

51 minutes ago, Process said:

Is this correct? I thought he could come back after the bye, or does that week not count?

Bye week doesn't count.  Rule is 3 games.

• Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

I'm surprised at two things about that list:

1) to see Matt Ryan on it at #3.  No idea he was so elusive!

2) Lamar Jackson below Pat Mahomes, at #5, 17.1%.   Anyone know what it was last year?

Josh Allen being #1 is a great sign of his development as a passer, because his first year and to some extent last year, he would just tuck it and take off.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Ugh, they're not going to let the guy put his personal loss behind him and move on at all, are they? 

And I'm sure the national media will be so much better next Sunday 🙄.  Ugh again.

I mean, it's not like Josh himself put this out there as something he wanted to share, McD "outed" him.  It's been totally cool in some ways (Oishei Children's Hospital) but I just hate the press grilling someone in Josh's situation for all the personal and intimate details about their feelings and their interactions with their teammates and on and on.

Fortunately it sounds as though Josh has great support with his teammates and coaches and family and friends and he's well able to say "I'm going to keep that in house" when it gets too personal.  Loved his story about Mario Addison coming up and giving him a big hug and saying "We'll get through this together".  That's pretty cool.

He said no one knew except a couple of coaches and "a couple of guys in the QB room" before the game.  I wonder how long the news took to travel through the team afterwards?  I would think that an NFL locker room must be like a small town where, as my SIL once said, "you sneeze at one end of Main Street and 5 minutes later folks at the other end of town are saying you've got a cold"

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Ugh, they're not going to let the guy put his personal loss behind him and move on at all, are they? 

And I'm sure the national media will be so much better next Sunday 🙄.  Ugh again.

I mean, it's not like Josh himself put this out there as something he wanted to share, McD "outed" him.  It's been totally cool in some ways (Oishei Children's Hospital) but I just hate the press grilling someone in Josh's situation for all the personal and intimate details about their feelings and their interactions with their teammates and on and on.

Fortunately it sounds as though Josh has a good support system.

Yeah I mean it took them almost 11 minutes to ask him something outside of that, they should of been done with what the first guy asked.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Yeah I mean it took them almost 11 minutes to ask him something outside of that, they should of been done with what the first guy asked.

I don't know but it is the first time the press got a good chance to talk to him about this.

By all accounts Josh seems to be an emotional guy and I think he felt something talking about it.

I'm sure if he didn't he would of told one of them "I said what I needed to say, let's move on"  but he didn't.

I'm not negating what you said but it is about him and not me so I got no problem with it.

9 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

You and Hap are so right. 

The classy thing for them to do would have been to just get together as reporters beforehand... decide on 1 question related to the passing of his grandmother and have someone ask it for the group of reporters and get it out of the way. 

I know they have a job and Josh has a job to answer those questions... but stuff like this is intimate. I couldn’t imagine showing up at work and having to continue to answer questions about a deceased family member. It’s hard enough as it is... 

Josh isn’t the type to really deflect. He seems to be a genuinely good person... so much so that he will answer whatever someone asks him and do his best to be polite about it. He’s really a true professional, but in return the reporters should have made an attempt to steer the discussion away from his loss pretty early on. 

Edited by JGMcD2
  • Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Bye week doesn’t count

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Bye week doesn't count.  Rule is 3 games.

That kind of sucks since utilizing the Bye Week should be a strategy decision. But, it also makes sense for Milano because it means he gets 4 full weeks without the pressure of returning early. The games he'll miss are pretty important ones in terms of how the Bills use their Defense. Obviously he missed Seattle, although the Defense on the whole was quite good - giving up yards and points in the 4th Quarter was frustrating, but otherwise great 1st half and great in sacks, QB pressures, turnovers, and limiting Russ Wilson's opportunities. Then Milano will miss Cardinals this week - another key test for the Defense, and the LA Chargers at home coming off the Bye....Chargers are not as bad as their record indicates for all intents and purposes, making that a more challenging game with Herbert at QB. 

Then, IF - it's a big IF - Milano comes back he returns to the following: at 49ers, Steelers at home - both primetime games, then at Denver and then NE, and lastly Miami at home. That's a key 5 game stretch for this Bills team. Let's hope it all works out and Milano's return is after two more wins and the Bills can keep the train moving.

31 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Fortunately it sounds as though Josh has great support with his teammates and coaches and family and friends and he's well able to say "I'm going to keep that in house" when it gets too personal.  Loved his story about Mario Addison coming up and giving him a big hug and saying "We'll get through this together".  That's pretty cool.

He said no one knew except a couple of coaches and "a couple of guys in the QB room" before the game.  I wonder how long the news took to travel through the team afterwards?  I would think that an NFL locker room must be like a small town where, as my SIL once said, "you sneeze at one end of Main Street and 5 minutes later folks at the other end of town are saying you've got a cold"

This is exactly what I was thinking while watching (give the guy his space).  I get that the media wants to write their stories and the donations pouring in is really a great story, but my thought is it would have been better to just throttle back on peppering him with questions about his recently departed grandmother.