Tua Tagovailoa - Future of Miami?

BillsM@fia

2 minutes ago, Pokebball said:

My feeling/opinion...if Miami knew Tua was their guy, I think he'd sit and learn this entire season.  Miami doesn't know if he is.  That's why he's playing this early in his career.  They hope he is, but they're just not sure and they need to find out so they can draft accordingly.

If they know he's their guy then it could go either way (sit, learn or play now) depending on the opinion of the front office.

I just wanted to mention that what goes on in the meeting rooms and practices has a large impact.  All you have to do is look at Nate Peterman and Josh Rosen to figure that out.

But in the end, no matter how confident you are in your young QB, there's no substitute for performing under live fire.  Flores says this isn't an audition, I believe him in the sense that Tua will be the starter to the end of the season barring catastrophe.  But, given the potential for a high draft pick, they definitely need to see what he's got .  Give Tua credit, he's shown enough ability behind the scenes to earn the look where Rosen never did.

Not judging him on one game at all. I just would have kept Fitz as the starter and felt that Herbert will be a better pro. He may go off against the Cards and they may win 10 games. I just happen to think it was not a good decision for the Dolphins this year. CG is no fool so I’m sure his input was big. I’ll admit to being wrong at week 16 if it plays out as you say. 

50 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Agreed, but the point being where they were right now and the outside possibility, however remote, that the biggest prize in the QB derby, could potentially be available to Miami.

The hypothetical being what if they ended up with the number one as they have houston's...would they consider Trevor Lawrence or just pass him up?

Still way too early to say.  Depends on how Tua looks going forward. 

But the Jets will have the 1st overall.  And I think Houston will ultimately pick in the high single digits.

All that suggests that you have selected the right QB in Tua. That’s currently a big if. When Herbert was imho the better choice. Texans will likely have  pick 4-7 so could be some leverage. Jury is out on FA decisions as D Williams has been a find while Klein not so much. Your leaving out the best trade in the NFL getting Diggs so let’s not omit that. Happy to discuss your Dolphins vs Bills but let’s agree to provide fair balance in our conversations. 

21 minutes ago, High Football IQ said:

Before injury, Tua was on track to be the consensus #1 overall pick which is saying a lot considering how good Burrow has been. And yes Herbert is phenomenal as well.

Either way it's ridiculous to judge Tua after one game especially since his team still won in a very decisive manner despite his lackluster stats. Don't be surprised if he goes off this week against a suspect AZ defense and the Dolphins have an even more impressive victory against a Cardinals team that handed the Seahawks their only loss of the season.

Your so up on every team except the one that you post on there fan board, what’s up with that? Really, you don’t appear to say anything positive about the bills ever... asking for the bills fans here...

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Pokebball said:

My feeling/opinion...if Miami knew Tua was their guy, I think he'd sit and learn this entire season.  Miami doesn't know if he is.  That's why he's playing this early in his career.  They hope he is, but they're just not sure and they need to find out so they can draft accordingly.

How could they know without him playing. Every franchise is hoping until they see their guy play. It’s all based on projection and hedge betting on the scouting from college, no one “knows” anything until they actually play. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

Unfortunately your RB who has been great was put on IR. Too bad you traded away Drake as he may have provided a great tandem. He seems to be doing pretty well with Arizona. Again I’ll try to give fair balance on the Bills good or bad. Dolphins have made some good moves but that’s one they might want back. 

Edited by QLBillsFan

35 minutes ago, High Football IQ said:

Another scary thought is that depending on how close the Texans finish to the #1 overall pick, there will no doubt be QB needy teams that will be willing to offer a ridiculous amount of picks to the Dolphins to move up. So theoretically the Dolphins could turn the #3 overall pick into multiple 1st round picks into 2022/2023 + plenty more in the right package.

Just sucks that a division rival who is already far ahead of where most thought they'd probably be has such a bright future between all the draft capital and salary cap space heading into 2021 and the Bills are essentially going to be stuck with the same team because of the limited cap space and terrible FA signings last year.

And yet the Bills will still sweep them.

5 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

Jimmy Clausen/Josh Rosen syndrome. 

Again, those cases are different. With clausen they had the #1 pick (which I don’t think they will have) and with Rosen they changed HCs AND had the #1 pick. I mean sure - if they have that pick and want to take Lawrence and have him evaluated Higher than Tua to the point they swallow the #5 pick (they won’t be getting that value back in a trade) then I can see it. But tua was the “tank for tua” from last year so how many times they gonna do this. Anyone else this year I doubt is rated higher than tua but who knows. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

23 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

How could they know without him playing. Every franchise is hoping until they see their guy play. It’s all based on projection and hedge betting on the scouting from college, no one “knows” anything until they actually play. 

Of course, my opinion is more the timing.  Is there value in development in practice and on the sideline?  I think so.

I think it depends on the kid and there are examples on both sides of this argument.

11 minutes ago, auburnbillsbacker said:

Sometimes you draft a QB then the following year a better prospect is available when you are on the clock.  If that is the case Miami should absolutely draft a QB.  Arizona doesn't regret giving up on Rosen. I have no idea how Tua compares to the current group of prospects though.

Lawrence is considered the best QB prospect to come out since Andrew Luck. 

13 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Again, those cases are different. With clausen they had the #1 pick (which I don’t think they will have) and with Rosen they changed HCs AND had the #1 pick. 

The Dolphins have draft capital that could move up to #1 possibly as the Houston pick expected to be quite high.

Edited by The Jokeman

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Then he shouldn’t have been the #5 pick but they clearly liked him enough to take him there... what I’m saying is this Miami’s decision and they have the same regime as they did when they made him the #5 pick. Their own scouting told them he was their future. Has it ever occurred where a team took a QB top 5, didn’t change regimes, watched him play all of 8 games and then drafted his replacement without having the #1 pick? Just seems horrible mismanagement to me

Yolo, I agree he should not have been picked 5th.  But the nfl is LITTERED with horrific picks.....Dan Jones anyone?  Man the G-men made that pick I was dancing in the streets.....bottom line yes Tua deserves more than one game but just cuz the Fish mgmt picked him there it certainly doesn't guarantee him anything.  Who knows who is was that pulled that trigger?  Someone somewhere seems unhappy with that decision......I certainly don't agree with the way they are handling it but I ain't making those big bucks and making those calls.  Would be fun sometimes though but not so much most of the time....IMO.

3 hours ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Yes, and let's be clear as we all know...ONLY IF THEY HAVE THE FIRST PICK.

Man, brother, I think the jets are going to hang on to a winless season like grim death.  I can't imagine anything being more important to that organization right now.  

Grim....but kinda funny too!  I agree tho.....the jests want that shot at Lawrence.....