Tua Tagovailoa - Future of Miami?

BillsM@fia

https://www.rotoworld.com/football/nfl/player/57496/tua-tagovailoa

I was originally critical when they decided to bench Fitz.  Apparently they want to see if Tua is their guy and may draft his replacement as soon as next years draft.  They have stockpiled picks and have the Houston Texans (1-6) first round pick.

I applaud this mentality by Miami.  I feel a lot of teams wouldn't pull the trigger the very next draft after selecting a quarterback at #5 overall the previous year.  The Dolphins seem to play hard for Flores and their arrow, IMO, is pointing up ^ . 

Edited by BillsM@fia

3 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Why would they be so quick to draft his replacement? Will they really know after 8 games? I could see if they had the #1 pick they might need to think about it but they won’t. 

Yolo, I agree, but man I am not saying Merril Hodge is an authority, but on NFL Radio this morning he was hard on Tua and his future...can't make the out throws...makes poor decisions...not the strongest arm...and may be only an adequate pro.

Surprisingly so.  They usually go easy on first time rookies.

1 minute ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Yolo, I agree, but man I am not saying Merril Hodge is an authority, but on NFL Radio this morning he was hard on Tua and his future...can't make the out throws...makes poor decisions...not the strongest arm...and may be only an adequate pro.

Surprisingly so.  They usually go easy on first time rookies.

That’s crazy. He’s played one game. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Why would they be so quick to draft his replacement? Will they really know after 8 games? I could see if they had the #1 pick they might need to think about it but they won’t. 

They don't run the ball well, and their offensive line isn't great.  These are the things you want for a rookie QB to be successful. 

The reason their offense was doing alright had a lot to do with fitz quick release.  So... without some changes here i see it failing.  

Edited by dneveu
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

He talked about the game, but he was primarily talking about what he saw from him in college.

Then he shouldn’t have been the #5 pick but they clearly liked him enough to take him there... what I’m saying is this Miami’s decision and they have the same regime as they did when they made him the #5 pick. Their own scouting told them he was their future. Has it ever occurred where a team took a QB top 5, didn’t change regimes, watched him play all of 8 games and then drafted his replacement without having the #1 pick? Just seems horrible mismanagement to me. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Then he shouldn’t have been the #5 pick but they clearly liked him enough to take him there... what I’m saying is this Miami’s decision and they have the same regime as they did when they made him the #5 pick. Their own scouting told them he was their future. Has it ever occurred where a team took a QB top 5, didn’t change regimes, watched him play all of 8 games and then drafted his replacement without having the #1 pick? Just seems horrible mismanagement to me. 

I hear you...but please don't shoot the messenger.  I am telling you only what I heard this morning from Merril Hodge.

I haven't expressed an opinion yet.  To that point, I worry he will be very good, and would hope that he isn't. 

However, if they have a shot at lawrence...

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

21 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Injury history and the game looked to big for him last week.  It's still really early but maybe Miami didnt like what they say in training camp either.

I have no criticism with selecting him at #5 last year.  It's a QB driven league. 

Just now, dollars 2 donuts said:

I hear...but please don't shoot the messenger.  I am telling you only what I heard this morning from Merril Hodge.

I haven't expressed an opinion yet.  To that point, I worry he will be very good, and would hope that he isn't. 

However, if they have a shot at lawrence...

I don’t see how they would have a shot at him. Only team I could see passing on him and open to trading the pick to Miami would be bengals or chargers and they already have 2 wins 

7 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I don’t see how they would have a shot at him. Only team I could see passing on him and open to trading the pick to Miami would be bengals or chargers and they already have 2 wins 

Miami has Houston's first pick and Houston has 1 win.

I'm sorry, I thought we all knew this.  I should have mentioned it earlier.

Edit:  If the jaguars beat Houston then the Texans will be tied for having the 2nd pick overall.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

I think what is hurting the Tua perception is/are Burrows and Herbert.  No one was saying after their first game, hey it's just one game.  They have played well beyond their rookie ceiling.  And the league is taking notice.  Along comes a draft with a plethora of QBs and you can't afford to be wrong especially with all the draft capital the Dolphins have.  

And I would also add Kyle Murray and Josh Rosen also impact thinking.  

Edited by wjag

35 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I see what you are saying, but imagine if Arizona stuck to that strategy with Rosen and didn't draft Murray? ( I understand Murray was the 1st pick off the board)

Say if Miami has a chance to get Fields as they got tons of draft ammunition and they think he is the guy and aren't completely sold on Tua, I would drat fields if I were them.

Washington made the mistake of sticking with Haskins. Sure Chase Young is an elite talent, but I bet you if they have that pick back, they take Herbert now. QB> Any position.

Edited by BillsFan130