Milano out for Seahawks game

YoloinOhio

41 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think in the cap-limited FA era if you expect a GM to stock the roster with quality depth down to the practice squad, you're going to be perennially disappointed.

There's all kinds of stuff about Milano's "attendance record" up thread.  Dodson can not be "perennial practice squad fodder" since he was on IR last season and played in 6 games this season before going on IR.  Whether he's gonna make a habit of this or will have that "availability" does remain to be seen. 

Phillips can not be "perennial practice squad fodder" since he was an UDFA rookie this season.

I meant these guys are not viable replacements for Milano or Edmunds and now we are left with Klein and the special teams ace from Pittsburgh as the only guys left. Lorax and Stanford were better than these poor souls.

1 hour ago, HOUSE said:

https://media.tenor.com/images/4610253e7bab4af0411e57b145ed5932/tenor.gif

Im comin Lizabeth, I’m comin.  Good one House.  Dat da da Da dat.

As far as this silliness about Milano, look at the defense when he’s not on the field.  Dumb butt argument.  Sal and the guys this morning were suggesting they might sit him until after the bye so this doesn’t keep happening and given his two injuries, he needs the rest, and for the last time, HES NOT TOO FREAKIN SMALL!  He’s a sideline to sideline WIL LB and this isn’t the NFL of 1999 where you want Ray Lewis types.  LB’s across the league especially the WIL are in the 235lbs. Range, because they are needed to cover large geography and teams are passing at record rates.  Did some people forget how many passes he broke up last year and before his injuries this year.  

• Haha (+1) 1

Milano has been a very good player when healthy and seems to be a particularly good fit for the schemes that the Bills play on defense.  Unfortunate for him (and the Bills) that he has been injured this season.  His absence hurts the defense and the back-ups have played poorly.  Will be interesting to see if we can keep him with a short term contract or if another team will be willing to pay him notwithstanding that he will miss significant time this season and what some would characterize as being prone to injury  The salary cap will also be a factor in free agency, both for Milano's prospects for a long-term deal from the Bills or another team and the ability of the Bills to retain him on a short or longer term contract..

While Bills fans are bemoaning this years defense they still sit at 14th in points allowed, 16th in yards. Last season the injury bug didn't bother Buffalo much, its hitting pretty hard this season. What can ya do?

6-2 Buffalo Bills vs 6-1 Seattle Seahawks.

Seahawks only loss coming against 5-2 Arizona 37-34. Wins, 2-6 Atlanta, 2-5 New England, 2-6 Dallas, 4-3 Miami, 2-5 Minnesota, 4-5 San Fran. They have beaten only one team with a winning record in week 4, Miami. 

Buffalo Bills, 0-8 Jets, 4-3 Dolphins, 5-3 Rams, 4-3 Raiders, 5-2 Titans, 7-1 Chiefs, 0-8 Jets, 2-6 Patriots. 5 of 8 games against good teams and their two losses against playoff teams in Chiefs, Titans. 

The Seattle Seahawks defense is far worse 24th in points allowed, 32nd in yards allowed. 32nd in passing yards allowed, 9th in rushing yards allowed.

Gee, I wonder how Buffalo will attack this Seahawks defense?

Buffalo has a shot if they can get their passing offense working like it did in the first four games. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Some just exaggerate when their point is weak.

I was taught this by my debate teacher: Exaggeration is a tool of those with weak arguments.

I've told people this exact same thing a million times.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

22 hours ago, BringMetheHeadofLeonLett said:

If I couldn't play in half the games because I was too hurt, I'd certainly consider it. 

^.  The mentality of the mediocre. 

Why not give him credit for trying to play despite the injury and for being a team player?  Nah, much easier to complain and find fault.  

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

We are here ---->>>>>Impute to others views they've never held. 

Take an extreme position yourself. 

When called on it, behave as though you're persuading people to the position they actually held instead of the position they actually held

and

Complain that they're somehow misinterpreting or overinterpreting your extreme position

Horseradish, you silly boy!  I just went back and looked at your posts in this thread and diagrammed what you did.

Which I've seen before, in football threads.

But it's interesting that you see it as such.....

Promises!

I think you got caught talking politics on the main board and tried to walk it back with this nonsense above, but whatever. 

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Mango said:

Thanks for pointing that out. I was just using my scribble pad for work and grabbed the wrong number quickly. Don't tell my boss about how I spend company time!

I did use PFR, but used percentage compared to his peers not total percentage, since a player will rarely hit 100% of defensive snaps. Although Preston Brown and Jordan Poyer have come pretty close at times. I thought it was more fair. 

Even if you just remove 2017 entirely, Milano has only been on the field about 72% of the time compared to his peers. If 91% is the goal as 2019 would indicate, he has missed a sizable chunk.. A story that missed games doesn't really tell. 

I think you can expect Milano to miss between 5-6 games(30%-40%) worth of snaps every season going forward.

His list of injuries is so long and they are more than likely to have a cumulative effect.

But perhaps he could also go the Eric Wood route and basically dial his game back physically to stay on the field more.

Wood had a bunch of injuries early in his career that were probably the result of just playing harder than smarter at times........he dialed it back and stayed much healthier.

But without that hyper aggression he was overwhelmed in the power offense that Marrone ran and he played terribly(he even thought he'd get cut after the 2014 season).

Wood needed to be in motion more where he could focus on angles, playing a more athletic style,  which is what he got with Roman's offense.

Milano's wreckless abandon is what makes him so good though.........if they paid him $10M+ per and he stopped throwing his body horizontal to make plays I think he would lose effectiveness and get really unpopular in these parts.

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I think you can expect Milano to miss between 5-6 games(30%-40%) worth of snaps every season going forward.

His list of injuries is so long and they are more than likely to have a cumulative effect.

But perhaps he could also go the Eric Wood route and basically dial his game back physically to stay on the field more.

Wood had a bunch of injuries early in his career that were probably the result of just playing harder than smarter at times........he dialed it back and stayed much healthier.

But without that hyper aggression he was overwhelmed in the power offense that Marrone ran and he played terribly(he even thought he'd get cut after the 2014 season).

Wood needed to be in motion more where he could focus on angles, playing a more athletic style,  which is what he got with Roman's offense.

Milano's wreckless abandon is what makes him so good though.........if they paid him $10M+ per and he stopped throwing his body horizontal to make plays I think he would lose effectiveness and get really unpopular in these parts.

Well --- to be fair, him throwing his body horizontal to make plays is also what at times makes for spectacular misses and causes unpopularity.  So a bit less abandon if it led to surer tackling might be a wash.

I don't know about the whole cumulative injury thing.  I think some of his injuries are additive during a season - for example, playing with a hamstring injury may lead to him being enough inches out of position resulting in strain on his pec during the ensuing tackle.

I think it's possible that Milano could go more the Zo Alexander route where a combination of increased savvy at anticipating what's going to happen, combined with using every possible tool to strengthen all those stabilizer muscles (Pilates etc) and perhaps to train a bit more for speed vs strength, could lead to a long productive career.

In the Game thread I linked a Tasker/Brown interview with Greg Cosell about the Seasnakes game.  Stat I did not know: Bills play nickel on 88% of their snaps.  With AJ Klein at LB and Edmunds playing like he's forgotten how, that's understandable but it's also a disaster.  The Bills need to figure out something at LB this off season, Big Time.

PS I'm not entirely sure one can chalk up Wood's two broken legs in his first 3 seasons to "hyper aggression" rather than "***** happens".  It's not a point I'm going to delve into and debate though.  Other than the two broken legs that cost him 6 games each in 2 seasons, his only injury was an ankle that cost him 2 games.  I'm not saying you aren't correct about his playing style, just that I'm not sure there's a correlation with the injuries he actually experienced.  Ankles are ubiquitous on OLs.  That Wood was a poor fit for Marrone's blocking scheme and did much better with Roman is undeniable. 

6 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Well --- to be fair, him throwing his body horizontal to make plays is also what at times makes for spectacular misses and causes unpopularity.  So a bit less abandon if it led to surer tackling might be a wash.

I don't know about the whole cumulative injury thing.  I think some of his injuries are additive during a season - for example, playing with a hamstring injury may lead to him being enough inches out of position resulting in strain on his pec during the ensuing tackle.

I think it's possible that Milano could go more the Zo Alexander route where a combination of increased savvy at anticipating what's going to happen, combined with using every possible tool to strengthen all those stabilizer muscles (Pilates etc) and perhaps to train a bit more for speed vs strength, could lead to a long productive career.

In the Game thread I linked a Tasker/Brown interview with Greg Cosell about the Seasnakes game.  Stat I did not know: Bills play nickel on 88% of their snaps.  With AJ Klein at LB and Edmunds playing like he's forgotten how, that's understandable but it's also a disaster.  The Bills need to figure out something at LB this off season, Big Time.

PS I'm not entirely sure one can chalk up Wood's two broken legs in his first 3 seasons to "hyper aggression" rather than "***** happens".  It's not a point I'm going to delve into and debate though.  Other than the two broken legs that cost him 6 games each in 2 seasons, his only injury was an ankle that cost him 2 games.  I'm not saying you aren't correct about his playing style, just that I'm not sure there's a correlation with the injuries he actually experienced.  Ankles are ubiquitous on OLs.  That Wood was a poor fit for Marrone's blocking scheme and did much better with Roman is undeniable. 

Every team has had injuries but it feels to me that the Bills were disproportionately harmed by the inability to have an offseason training program in Buffalo.

I think it had become a big advantage for them last year.

Maybe guys like Milano and John Brown who have had a lot of injuries in the past but less last year.....would have been banged up anyway.......but I think it helped keep players on the field more in 2019.

But we can't prove that.  

I also can't prove that Eric Wood changed his game but the play where he broke his leg he was locked in a test of strength with DT and had leverage and then it just snapped under that weight.  The rest of his career he was on skates in situations like that,  re-directing instead of trying to sumo-wrestle bigger DT's.

The ligament tear in his knee was a play where he was chasing down a troublesome pass rusher in Dallas looking to get in an extra shot on him downfield.    You could call that random misfortune......but he didn't need to be there he wasn't in front of the play and he certainly wasn't tracking down DeMarcus Ware until after he was on the ground on top of the ball carrier.:lol:

Fans love dumb sh*t like that and will defend the consequences vehemently.......see the reactions here to Cody Ford for that simply unnecessary hit he was penalized for in OT in the playoffs.   

Later in Eric Wood's career he wouldn't be found doing that stuff and he also wouldn't be found on the DL as much.