Online voting

Why not just do this online in future elections? It would be much more efficient than using the mail. 

Im in grad school and take tests online all the time. They have technology where you have to use a webcam and show your drivers license to avoid cheating. 

I think this is all much ado about nothing from Republicans. Do you think enough people would cheat to affect results?

We cant even secure the currently machines. Our dinosaurs in government do not understand the internet, or cyber security. McConnell is already sitting on a number of election security bills that he refuses to vote on.

It's a nice idea, but we are no where near ready to handle it and not have it a hacked mess. China and Russia would be in our systems before the first American logged in.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, JetsFan20 said:

Why not just do this online in future elections? It would be much more efficient than using the mail. 

Im in grad school and take tests online all the time. They have technology where you have to use a webcam and show your drivers license to avoid cheating. 

I think this is all much ado about nothing from Republicans. Do you think enough people would cheat to affect results?

I mean an online system does have larger risks do to it being online. But there I don't know why they don't do closed system machines at polling places seems like it would make everything much quicker.

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

We cant even secure the currently machines. Our dinosaurs in government do not understand the internet, or cyber security. McConnell is already sitting on a number of election security bills that he refuses to vote on.

It's a nice idea, but we are no where near ready to handle it and not have it a hacked mess. China and Russia would be in our systems before the first American logged in.

Blockchain

• Like (+1) 1

lets be real though, the reason we can't have online voting is the same reason why we can't have mail voting. People in entrenched districts red or blue benefit from having voter turnout low, so they keep it that way. California isn't that much more blue than Texas, and Texas isn't that much more red than California. The belief that it is keeps it that way

3 hours ago, JetsFan20 said:

Yeah, like there has never been fake driver's licenses..................................................

Closed systems at polling stations would make the most sense from a counting pov.

I wonder if you actually have two states that actually use the same methodology  for how people cast their votes tbh.

I think it would be impossible to do it 'online', as it would be 'hackable' in some way or another - even if it was just disruption through dos attacks.

One thing that should be done, is that every state should operate from the exact same set of rules. Whatever they may be. e.g. either everyone accepts mail in votes postmarked the day of an election, even if received after the date, or nobody does.

How to exercise your right to vote, should be clear and obvious, and the same everywhere, not Heinz and their varieties. ;)

Personally, I would say that mail in votes should be counted if postmarked, but from at the latest, the day before the election.

Paper backups is actually a good idea.  No computerized system would be safe enough...to have the entire vote reliant on it.   The solution to these late counts is to permit mail-in ballots to be counted as they are received so they are accounted for on election day.  Florida and Ohio mail-ins were baked into the cake, for example, at the beginning of election eve.  That produced the "blue mirage" that was then brought to reality as same day votes came in.  Sad...for those of us who lean blue...but we had the answer at the end of the  day.  Then with mail-ins in states like MI, WI, PA...and even here in NY...that could not be counted until the day after election day...it produced the red mirage that had many of us poised with razor blades dangerously close to our wrists.  Those ballots are now being counted.  It drags things on...but it's how various states have set things up.   A simple rule change would allow for folks to be more distracted by a football team than an election.  Just my opinion.

4 hours ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

We're talking about a government that still designs online systems for internet explorer. Even Microsoft has moved on from IE.

Just spent half my day dealing with that.  Gov't department just caught up with patching their database up to 2012 security standards.

Good luck with secure internet voting.  

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Tux of Borg said:

My friend got turned away from the polls because they claimed he already voted.  I don’t know how wide spread voting fraud is, but there has to be a better way than the current system.  

Why would they not give him a provisional vote?  That's what they're for.