Ed Oliver - former teammate killed. sad to see

BeastMode54

3 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

I know it’s none of our business.

If he put it on social media, maybe he wants our thoughts and prayers. If Ed posted it, that is his preference. I’m good with whatever his wishes are, and pray for the best for all involved. 

• Like (+1) 13

2 minutes ago, Augie said:

If he put it on social media, maybe he wants our thoughts and prayers. If Ed posted it, that is his preference. I’m good with whatever his wishes are, and pray for the best for all involved. 

You,Sir, are a class act

• Thank you (+1) 2

28 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

Pray excuse me good sir, but if these chaps make their postings on a public social media account, do they not invite the interest of those who follow them?

For the OP: I believe the young man in question is former University of Houston teammate Ka'Darian Smith, found shot in his apartment

https://abc13.com/former-uh-football-player-identified-as-midtown-murder-victim/7635171/

The young man pictured in this story appears identical to the young man posing with Ed Oliver in the Instagram photo Ed put up, and the people expressing condolences on Ed's post are also former UH players.

['Preciatecha editing the thread title accordingly]

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Pray excuse me good sir, but if these chaps make their postings on a public social media account, do they not invite the interest of those who follow them?

For the OP: I believe the young man in question is former University of Houston teammate Ka'Darian Smith, found shot in his apartment

https://abc13.com/former-uh-football-player-identified-as-midtown-murder-victim/7635171/

The young man pictured in this story appears identical to the young man posing with Ed Oliver in the Instagram photo Ed put up, and the people expressing condolences on Ed's post are also former UH players.

['Preciatecha editing the thread title accordingly]

that’s fine - then Ed himself can disclose who or what he was talking about. I see your point, but “oh no, who died” threads aren’t my particular bag.

5 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

that’s fine - then Ed himself can disclose who or what he was talking about. I see your point, but “oh no, who died” threads aren’t my particular bag.

And there is no disputing of your personal taste and interest (or lack thereof)

When we got my kid her first Smart phone at age 10 or 11, I handed her a paper journal.  Told her "you can write anything you like in here, keep it put away in a drawer, and it's private.  I will never read it short of truly dire circumstances.  But once you post stuff on social media, even in a private account shared only with friends, you've lost all control over who will see it or where it will go.  And if you're sharing something with 30 or 300 or 3000 of your "closest friends" on social media, don't expect to keep it private from your parents". 

It's a double edged sword.  The guys use public social media accounts to build a following and a "brand" and make themselves attractive to sponsors.  But then, IMO, they really have no beef if the followers they attract are curious about what they post and delve into it (see above) or clap back at them.  I noticed it was football players responding to Ed and typed "university of houston football death", there it was. 

Very sad waste of a young life, RIP.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

It is when it is on social media, duh... if it’s private it wouldn’t be known... ya grumpy old - - - - - - -, 😁

9 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

open mouth, insert foot.

9 hours ago, cDAVIS said:

He posted it on social media. He shared it with anyone who wants to look. I think it's okay for someone to ask a simple question about it. 

9 hours ago, Augie said:

8 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

if not your bag, why come in to the thread and comment?

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

And there is no disputing of your personal taste and interest (or lack thereof)

When we got my kid her first Smart phone at age 10 or 11, I handed her a paper journal.  Told her "you can write anything you like in here, keep it put away in a drawer, and it's private.  I will never read it short of truly dire circumstances.  But once you post stuff on social media, even in a private account shared only with friends, you've lost all control over who will see it or where it will go.  And if you're sharing something with 30 or 300 or 3000 of your "closest friends" on social media, don't expect to keep it private from your parents". 

I am a non-parent and as of today have no desire to change that.... but if I ever do decide to have kids I am stealing this idea Hapless. That sounds to me like very good parenting if I might say so.

• Like (+1) 4

3 hours ago, mattynh said:

What social media apps did your daughter use at 11?   Most have 13 year old limit.  

This was > decade ago and parental controls were in their relative infancy, so they were all either wide open or easy to circumvent.  But kid was born to hardass parents who had no hesitation in taking the smartphone and providing a dumb 'ol can-make-calls-and-simple-texts dumb phone when rules were broken, even though kid bought the phone and was paying for the data plan.  This guy is kind of my spirit animal in some regards.

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I am a non-parent and as of today have no desire to change that.... but if I ever do decide to have kids I am stealing this idea Hapless. That sounds to me like very good parenting if I might say so.

Thank you. 

We see the truth of it in all these kids who have some dumbass social media thing they did years ago come back to haunt them like the stench of a dead woodchuck rotting under the porch of their hoped for career.  Bringing it back to football relevance, Josh Allen.  Jake Fromm.

And now having completed the thread drift away from its topic, I'm gonna lock it up.  Doesn't seem much to say anyway other than Godspeed, RIP.

• Like (+1) 2