Bears WR Wims gets two games for repeatedly punching Saints Safety

He deserved at least that. This is not the Wild, Wild West. Totally unacceptable and you send the message to anyone else who might want to act like a fool and embarrass the league and the game. I would not have flinched at three games. But that’s probably as far as I’d go unless he was a repeat offender with a bad record.

Apparently the Saint’s player was smart enough to know he was wearing a helmet, so he won that battle of wits. 

Edited by Augie
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, hemma said:

2 games seemed like a slap on the wrist.

IMO, at least 4.  Not quite a Garrett, but close enough.

Basically, was assault.

Agreed.  There's some more detail here in Pat McAfee's show. 

The sequence of events:

1. CJ-GJ on film ripping Wims mouthpiece off his helmet and throwing it on the ground.  Punk.

2. Wims goes to sideline for 11 minutes

3. Gets back in the game, does this

As McAffee and guest point out, there are a lot of ways to retaliate against someone who disrespects you without throwing punches and getting your ass thrown out of a game.

Given that he stewed about it on the sidelines and then calculated what he'd do, two games seems light.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, hemma said:

2 games seemed like a slap on the wrist.

IMO, at least 4.  Not quite a Garrett, but close enough.

Basically, was assault.

I get it, but swinging a helmet at a bare head could cause serious, even lethal, damage. A punch thrown at a helmet is most likely to just break your hand. 

Edited by Augie

1 minute ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I don’t quite understand the thought process behind punching a guy wearing a big helmet. Does the recipient of the punch even feel anything? 

Well, some players do suffer concussion as a result of a blow sustained to a helmeted head..........................

It does seem pretty stupid though.

4 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I don’t quite understand the thought process behind punching a guy wearing a big helmet. Does the recipient of the punch even feel anything? 

Idk, Sensei, you tell us!

Hmmm...

2 seems okay. I mean, you can miss 1 game for unnecessary roughness ejections, right? This was clearly a step above that. 

What kind of physical assault does a three game ban require? 

it’s loopy, and the suspensions never seem to have any rationale behind them

Look I get Wims deserved to be suspended but that Gardner-Johnson dude shouldnt just be let off the hook. He deserves criticism for being the douche he is. His own teammate and best player on the Saints, Michael Thomas, even got suspended a game cause Gardner-Johnson pissed him off enough for him to get Thomas to swing off on him in practice. Couple that with the other GJ antics caught on film and this dude deserves a healthy dose of criticism for being such an asshat.

• Like (+1) 1

I thought he ripped his chain off. Cause ya know these guys love flashing their bling. I thought it was cool to rip his chain off. 
But really really stupid to punch his helmet for lots of reasons. Sucker punch, broken hand, fringe player already, money lost, suspension, probably benched when suspension is over. For what? 

34 minutes ago, StHustle said:

Look I get Wims deserved to be suspended but that Gardner-Johnson dude shouldnt just be let off the hook. He deserves criticism for being the douche he is. His own teammate and best player on the Saints, Michael Thomas, even got suspended a game cause Gardner-Johnson pissed him off enough for him to get Thomas to swing off on him in practice. Couple that with the other GJ antics caught on film and this dude deserves a healthy dose of criticism for being such an asshat.

Where there's smoke there's fire. Gardner-Johnson sounds like a world class agitator. 

Me and a close friend are big hockey fans but we hate (in a sports way) each others team.  But we look at an agitator as a useful commodity. Sure the guy's a d!ck, but he's our/your d!ck. Gardner-Johnson breaks the mold by getting one of his teams best players suspended. WTF?

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Suspension upheld on appeal

How do folks feel about this?  I kind of felt it was light.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30256276/nfl-upholds-two-game-suspension-chicago-bears-javon-wims

~0:38 sec into the play, Wims comes up behind CJ Gardiner-Johnson and punches him repeatedly in the (helmeted) head

On the Gronk punishment scale, two games is about right.  Should have been at least 4.  It was premeditated, and he came back for more.  You need to send the strongest possible message here.