Ike Boettger makes the PFF 90 Club this week!

blacklabel

5 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

According to Jeremiah Sirles on the Shout podcast, Sirles always liked to take on one guy as a project when he comes to a team and be that guy's mentor. And for Sirles that guy was Boettger. And one of the things Sirles told him was that if he was multiple, they wouldn't be able to bring themselves to cut him. Boettger took that to heart and now can play all five of the OL positions. That's why Sirles says Boettger is around ... because he worked like crazy and learned all five.

Dam that's some nice research. I loved the way McBeane has handled the O-line since 2019. Have there been mistakes? Yes, but going into 2019 the team had one decent starter on the O-line (Dawkins) to having a quality O-line that has tremendous depth. They signed Mitch to anchor the center position, he found Mongo on a cheap two year deal who has been an above average starting caliber guard, Spain was a nice find in 2019 (and I think wasn't tragic in 2020), Ty is a great swing tackle, they signed Williams who has been a revelation, held onto Ike to develop him, made a great trade for Bates and made an attempt to solidify depth with Winters. 

Some attempts to sure up the O-line are a work in progress (Ford) while others haven't panned out (Long, trading Teller, Spain in 2020, and Winters) but the attention and resources put into the O-line have been fantastic. And outside of Mitch and Ford these haven't been really huge investments draft capital wise. I think Ty is the only other signing above 6 million aav and Ford the only high draft pick the past 3 drafts. 

5 minutes ago, Pirate Angel said:

If it didnt earn him a start it should Cody Ford has been terrible, he might have been a better tackle. Definitely not starting caliber at either

Spain was definitely not doing a ton as a rush blocker weeks 1 and 2.  If Boettger can handle the pass protection duties, he seems to be a superior runblocker.

• Like (+1) 1