Ike Boettger makes the PFF 90 Club this week!

blacklabel

I did indeed utilize the forum search function and did not find any threads pertaining to this.

I know a lot of us don't put a whole lot of stock into the numbers from Pro Football Focus, but we seem to like when they praise our players. Anyway, G Ike Boettger came in off the bench on Sunday and had himself a game according to the 94.1 score he got from PFF. I know his previous scores this season weren't great in the few snaps that he took but perhaps he's been performing like this in practice and that's why they were alright with cutting Spain. Seems like Feliciano might be at center for a while which leaves Ford, Winters, and Boettger as the guards. I think both Ford and Winters have had their ups and downs. I think Winters has had a few more rough stretches so when Ford comes back, if I were McD, maybe I'd consider tinkering with the starting 5 to get Ike in there. Unless of course this performance was a one-off fluke. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

promising stat that surely gives Ike some confidence

Too small a sample size, NE D-line not that good and I like to throw-out the low and high score and also focus on the over or under versus the expected.

We got Feliciano back just as Morse exited, having those two together would the best and Dawkins is a given.  Winters becomes the depth behind Ford at RG I say with Williams doing a quiet steady job at RT.  Feliciano-Morse-Ford would be our best interior lineup but it may not happen until Morse recoops, 

• Like (+1) 3

good to hear.   we have Cody, Winters, Boettger, Bates and Mongo for 3 spots in the middle.   I'm still guessing they try Bates back at C after a week of prep, and get Feliciano back at RG.

I remember seeing Boettger first time at training camp last year, the dude is listed as 6'6 but he walked by my son and I and we were like holy crap that dude looks more like 6'10.  Just a huge dude.

• Like (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, Da webster guy said:

good to hear.   we have Cody, Winters, Boettger, Bates and Mongo for 3 spots in the middle.   I'm still guessing they try Bates back at C after a week of prep, and get Feliciano back at RG.

I remember seeing Boettger first time at training camp last year, the dude is listed as 6'6 but he walked by my son and I and we were like holy crap that dude looks more like 6'10.  Just a huge dude.

He is a big dude for sure. IF I remember correctly he has an odd laugh though.

1 minute ago, aceman_16 said:

He is a big dude for sure. IF I remember correctly he has an odd laugh though.

He has hung around the roster for a reason. Despite the adding of numerous starters and backups at the guard positions in 2019 and 2020 Ike has remained on the roster. I think he might be a secret stud on the roster. Granted the Pats D-line isn't that great. But he and Mongo were out there mauling. 

• Like (+1) 3

2nd week in a row he’s done a good job run blocking.  Gets to the 2nd level pretty well & I’m sure Pats #21 doesn’t want to see him again.

Had a tough time last week pass blocking, but was much better vs the Pats.  Will be interesting to see who goes where when Ford/Morse get healthy.

• Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, Da webster guy said:

Bates is a perfectly fine Center. Stop trying to overthink this Daboll. Get Mongo back at Guard where he can mail guys. And decide between Boettger, Winters or Ford

• Like (+1) 4

11 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

He has hung around the roster for a reason. Despite the adding of numerous starters and backups at the guard positions in 2019 and 2020 Ike has remained on the roster. I think he might be a secret stud on the roster. Granted the Pats D-line isn't that great. But he and Mongo were out there mauling. 

he has replaced Spain. who was at least serviceable if not a touch better. Seems McBeanes have an affinity for the kid.

So do I

I Like Ike.

Go Bills

5 minutes ago, Doc said:

I'd like to see the interior be Boettger-Bates-Feliciano and then replace Bates with Morse if/when he's healthy.  Get Winters out of there.

Not bad.

Depending on how they feel about Ford.

might want to save Bates for the back stretch of the season ?

Lets expect Morse to be out for awhile. just being cautious

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

Not bad.

Depending on how they feel about Ford.

might want to save Bates for the back stretch of the season ?

Lets expect Morse to be out for awhile. just being cautious

Ford...is a different story.  Play the best 5 you have.

As for Bates, this is the back stretch.  If Morse is out for more than 2 more games, I think he goes on IR and probably is advised to retire. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Coach Tuesday said:

He had a great game. Night and day from the Jets game.

Feliciano looked excellent at center as well.   I know Morse is one of their best 5.....but center is Feliciano's best position, IMO.

The maligned Harrison Phillips also had his best game of the year on the other side of the ball.

He's nowhere near where he was in September 2019 but if he gets his legs back that will be big for the run defense.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Da webster guy said:

Your comment on Bates wasn't something I considered. Hmm, I guess it depends on where they think Feliciano is most valuable, at center or left guard over Winters with Ford on the right. I thought Bates played well on that one drive he had. He came in with confidence, when he stepped in the huddle you could see a number of guys patting him on the back and asking if he was ready and he just seemed to be like, "Yeah guys, I got this." They obviously like him, they traded for him and he stuck on the team right off the bat and never seemed to be on the fringe this year. 

And your comment on Boettger, I was about to be like, you sure you didn't walk past Trey Adams? And then I remembered there were no fans allowed at training camp this year and Adams came in this year as well. 

Edited by blacklabel

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Feliciano looked excellent at center as well.   I know Morse is one of their best 5.....but center is Feliciano's best position, IMO.

The maligned Harrison Phillips also had his best game of the year on the other side of the ball.

He's nowhere near where he was in September 2019 but if he gets his legs back that will be big for the run defense.

Phillips probably won't be back to his old self until next year.. Typically even tho they can play and the knee is structurally sound, it takes players about a year to get back to their old selves after ACL tears.

• Like (+1) 4

7 hours ago, Doc said:

Ford...is a different story.  Play the best 5 you have.

As for Bates, this is the back stretch.  If Morse is out for more than 2 more games, I think he goes on IR and probably is advised to retire. 

I think they sit Mitch out for the next 2 games and that gets him to the bye and gets him about a month off. Hopefully that's a good safe timetable for him. 

• Like (+1) 4

11 hours ago, blacklabel said:

Your comment on Bates wasn't something I considered. Hmm, I guess it depends on where they think Feliciano is most valuable, at center or left guard over Winters with Ford on the right. I thought Bates played well on that one drive he had. He came in with confidence, when he stepped in the huddle you could see a number of guys patting him on the back and asking if he was ready and he just seemed to be like, "Yeah guys, I got this." They obviously like him, they traded for him and he stuck on the team right off the bat and never seemed to be on the fringe this year. 

And your comment on Boettger, I was about to be like, you sure you didn't walk past Trey Adams? And then I remembered there were no fans allowed at training camp this year and Adams came in this year as well. 

I read somewhere that Feliciano would have jumped right in at center but his hands were too taped up so he had to finish the series at guard and then get his right hand unwrapped and retaped for snapping the ball.

• Like (+1) 2

16 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

According to Jeremiah Sirles on the Shout podcast, Sirles always liked to take on one guy as a project when he comes to a team and be that guy's mentor. And for Sirles that guy was Boettger. And one of the things Sirles told him was that if he was multiple, they wouldn't be able to bring themselves to cut him. Boettger took that to heart and now can play all five of the OL positions. That's why Sirles says Boettger is around ... because he worked like crazy and learned all five.

• Like (+1) 1