Encouraging Advanced Stats on Allen

Big Turk

Here are some advanced metrics that help to show Allen's progress as a QB.

-Bad throw percentage has decreased every year from 25.7% to 20.3% to 14.6% this year.  This is actually one of the best percentages in the entire NFL. Tannehill is at 11.7%, Roethlesberger is at  12.3%, Brees is at 13.0%, and Ryan is at 14.3%, but he is ahead of Wilson(14.7%), Cousins(14.8%), Rivers(15.6%), Watson(15.6%), Goff(15.7%), Brady(15.7%), Murray(16.6%), Rodgers(17.7%), Mahomes(18.9%), Jackson(19.8%), Mayfield(20.5%), Stafford(20.6%)...so for the people claiming Allen is making all these bad throws, he is actually making less of them than a lot of other QBs.

-On target percentage has increased from 73.2% last year to 80.6% this year.

-Allen is taking fewer sacks, with only 13 this year so far.

-Teams are blitzing Allen less as he continues to make teams pay for it...29.2% to 23.3% to 20.9% this year.

-Allen is also scrambling less which is consistent with him keeping his eyes downfield and trying to make plays through the air. He only has 16 scrambles so far which would equate to 32 for the season versus 43 last year. With probably an extra 100 or so pass attempts this year based on current numbers, the scramble percentage is down significantly.

-Allen has also attempted almost as many play action passses this year as he did all of last year. 94 already this year through 8 games and 105 last year for the whole season. He also has more yards already off PA Passes even with 11 fewer passes.

-They have also ran as many RPO's this year as they did all of last year(42)

image.thumb.png.8ab6a85f770fff00c0a1d9d95a590575.png

image.thumb.png.32067a44726dd83ed6a440ef0e7746d5.png

image.thumb.png.0f86c926c74446c8e2ab8ba38f25e777.png

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 10
  • Awesome! (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 7

11 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

-Bad throw percentage has decreased every year from 25.7% to 20.3% to 14.6% this year.  This is actually one of the best percentages in the entire NFL. Tannehill is at 11.7%, Roethlesberger is at  12.3%, Brees is at 13.0%, and Ryan is at 14.3%, but he is ahead of Wilson(14.7%), Cousins(14.8%), Rivers(15.6%), Watson(15.6%), Goff(15.7%), Brady(15.7%), Murray(16.6%), Rodgers(17.7%), Mahomes(18.9%), Jackson(19.8%), Mayfield(20.5%), Stafford(20.6%)...so for the people claiming Allen is making all these bad throws, he is actually making less of them than a lot of other QBs.

-Teams are blitzing Allen less as he continues to make teams pay for it...29.2% to 23.3% to 20.9% this year.

-Allen is also scrambling less which is consistent with him keeping his eyes downfield and trying to make plays through the air. He only has 16 scrambles so far which would equate to 32 for the season versus 43 last year. With probably an extra 100 or so pass attempts this year based on current numbers, the scramble percentage is down significantly.

-Allen has also attempted almost as many play action passses this year as he did all of last year. 94 already this year through 8 games and 105 last year for the whole season. He also has more yards already off PA Passes even with 11 fewer passes.

Great stats. Thanks for sharing.

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

I'm surprised at this at all.  

We haven't seen it here much this year, but if you think back, think about all the times people argued that QBs don't improve their accuracy.  All the times that people argued that QBs make their biggest jump from year one to year two, and if you aren't doing it by year two, you're done.  Now all we're getting is people arguing that if the guy isn't winning Super Bowls in his first three years, he isn't worth a mega-deal. 

The simple truth is, and always was, that it takes QBs multiple years, - three, four, five years, sometimes more, to master what's going on on the field and to manage the game, especially the passing game properly.  These stats show that Allen is on that path.  

Allen's potential was obvious in year one. 

His improvement was obvious in year two. 

His competence is what we're seeing now. 

His greatness is still ahead of him. 

• Like (+1) 9
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 7

What I’ve been impressed with is how he continues to process how teams are playing him. Lots of man coverage 1 and zero looks in first two years. 
Tried that this year and he shredded it. He continues to do so every time a teams tries to blitz him. 

He’s adjusting to a lot of zone looks kind of on the fly and I think he’s doing pretty well. I think the patriots game was one of the most impressive games I’ve seen him play. He understood what the defense was trying to do to him, put his ego aside (which I’m not sure he has), and continually go the offense into good plays. Most of those were run plays. 

I can’t wait for the Seattle game. He’s locking into Diggs more than I’d like to see IMO. But everything he’s doing is trending up in year 3

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, matter2003 said:

Wow, thanks. Great job matter2003

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

I'm surprised at this at all.  

We haven't seen it here much this year, but if you think back, think about all the times people argued that QBs don't improve their accuracy.  All the times that people argued that QBs make their biggest jump from year one to year two, and if you aren't doing it by year two, you're done.  Now all we're getting is people arguing that if the guy isn't winning Super Bowls in his first three years, he isn't worth a mega-deal. 

The simple truth is, and always was, that it takes QBs multiple years, - three, four, five years, sometimes more, to master what's going on on the field and to manage the game, especially the passing game properly.  These stats show that Allen is on that path.  

Allen's potential was obvious in year one. 

His improvement was obvious in year two. 

His competence is what we're seeing now. 

His greatness is still ahead of him. 

I love this....

17 hours ago, Seasons1992 said:

LET'S GO!!!!!!

Gladiator GIF | Gfycat

I love that movie! Back when we used to go to movie theaters my wife and I rotated selection of what we would see. Inevitably she would choose a very chick’s, chick flick. On one of her times to choose she actually selected Gladiator, the anti-chick flick. She still claims to this day that I owe her a mulligan.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloBill said:

I love that movie! Back when we used to go to movie theaters my wife and I rotated selection of what we would see. Inevitably she would choose a very chick’s, chick flick. On one of her times to choose she actually selected Gladiator, the anti-chick flick. She still claims to this day that I owe her a mulligan.

Debatable.

One of my top-10 but both Gladiator and Top Gun have a definite chick-flickesque appeal to them (if that's what you're looking for.)

Both are "action" movies that are really just covers for lead character's romantic/love interest driving (his) life, and making him a "better man" because of it.

Oh - and regarding Josh Allen...I thought we were still going with stats are for nerds.

Guess not.