NFL-related Covid News

Greg S
Message added by Hapless Bills Fan

Please refer to @SDS pinned post

This is NOT a thread for general covid-19 discussion - state of the pandemic across the country, what death rate is currently etc etc etc

It is to discuss:
-NFL Covid Policy (with references, not your speculation about how they test or what you think they should do)

-Player test results

-How NFL covid results affects teams and games

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Exactly. 

I think the Ravens should forfeit, be fined the amount of the Steelers game checks, and pay the Steelers.  But that's just me.

I think this is the cleanest-cut. 

The Ravens broke protocol after receiving the league-wide memo from the commissioner explaining the potential consequences of this exact situation. Forfeit the game Sunday, in hope that’s they can play with those left on the roster for Thursday’s game. This stops the potential spread and impacts scheduling zero, resulting in no unfair alterations to other teams. 

7 minutes ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

The Ravens broke protocol after receiving the league-wide memo from the commissioner explaining the potential consequences of this exact situation. Forfeit the game Sunday, in hope that’s they can play with those left on the roster for Thursday’s game. This stops the potential spread and impacts scheduling zero, resulting in no unfair alterations to other teams. 

Fairest to the Steelers too.  Give them back their bye.

And Rams:

3 minutes ago, wjag said:

seems to be hitting all teams these days.  

NFL was anticipating it after holidays. 

They had a little wave after Halloween, a bigger wave after Thanksgiving and probably a BIG wave after Christmas.

Question is are they prepared for it and are they willing just to cut off teams/games when one team eliminated from playoffs gets COVID?

6 hours ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

im guessing some have been following much closer than me... 

but if one low level coach wasn’t always carrying his tracker (but not egregious enough that protocols had to have caught it) and didn’t report symptoms- I’m still not on the race to forfeit.

if he was constantly rolling through the building mask free and many others were and it was obvious and blatant - I get on the forfeit train much quicker 

7 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

im guessing some have been following much closer than me... 

but if one low level coach wasn’t always carrying his tracker (but not egregious enough that protocols had to have caught it) and didn’t report symptoms- I’m still not on the race to forfeit.

if he was constantly rolling through the building mask free and many others were and it was obvious and blatant - I get on the forfeit train much quicker 

I guess we likely won't know, but it sure is a lot of spread for a well-masked and distanced facility.

25 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

Meh Monday’s are off days unless you play. And Tuesdays are film days IIRC 

I thought it was the reverse.  If your team plays Sunday, then Monday was “film” review from that game, then Tuesdays was the day off.  What makes me remember it that way was when I would do charity events with the Bills, they were mostly on Tuesdays because the players were available all day.  

Either way, it’s just giving them an additional day at home, since it’s only in-person activities, they could do film review on their own. 

Edited by Just Jack
  • Like (+1) 3

They can do this easily this week because the Baltimore/Dallas Thursday game is already cancelled.  Therefore it really has little impact on teams.

If they think this will help to stop the spread (as they recognize the issue in Baltimore was allowing the 2 walk throughs on Monday and Tuesday) - I would watch for the next shoe to drop - rescheduled Thursday night games to Sunday or Monday and continuing having 2 no contact days for teams to stop or lessen internal spread.

They recognize it is going to get worse before the end of the season and are making more aggressive changes to get through the last few games.  

1 hour ago, Just Jack said:

I thought it was the reverse.  If your team plays Sunday, then Monday was “film” review from that game, then Tuesdays was the day off.  What makes me remember it that way was when I would do charity events with the Bills, they were mostly on Tuesdays because the players were available all day.  

Either way, it’s just giving them an additional day at home, since it’s only in-person activities, they could do film review on their own. 

could be

I thought after a win McD says you played so good you get Monday off. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Just Jack said:

Correct.

The issue as I see it is that many players (not just those officially "injured") seek treatment from trainers and use equipment available in team facilities on Monday and Tuesday.  A lot of the "stars" and veterans have facilities at home and have hired personal trainers/therapists to come in.

The younger guys are going to be scrambling and will seek out alternatives - some to local PT centers or recovery if open in their area, others to veteran friends with in-home facilities.  None of which may be as disinfected, monitored and distanced as team facilities.

This may backfire

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Fairest to the Steelers too.  Give them back their bye.

And Rams:

"abundance of caution" is getting annoying. Is it really an abundance? What does further testing mean....keep testing until it comes back negative?

5 hours ago, nucci said:

"abundance of caution" is getting annoying. Is it really an abundance? What does further testing mean....keep testing until it comes back negative?

Just a little note here (intended generally, not just at the above) that only NFL-specific covid discussion is considered in-scope here.

In bounds (not exhaustive list)

-Describing what the NFL's covid policies and procedures currently are and how they relate to/interact with a team's normal week

-Mentioning positive covid-19 test results or players added to covid-19 reserve list and what that means for a team competitively

Out of bounds (not exhaustive list):

-Describing the current progress of the pandemic

-Discussing test protocols (except describing with references what the NFL actually does) or speculating about what positive or negative test results really mean

-Discussion of death rate, hospitalization rate, etc etc.

Please refer to @SDS pinned post.