NFL-related Covid News

Greg S
Message added by Hapless Bills Fan

Please refer to @SDS pinned post

This is NOT a thread for general covid-19 discussion - state of the pandemic across the country, what death rate is currently etc etc etc

It is to discuss:
-NFL Covid Policy (with references, not your speculation about how they test or what you think they should do)

-Player test results

-How NFL covid results affects teams and games

Ravens fined but do not lose draft pick (and lower fine than other teams)

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-fines-baltimore-ravens-250-000-for-covid-19-violations

17 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

LOL, J E T S about to win their 2nd game!

Well, considering the Browns normally run the ball like 35 times a game and Hooper features prominently in their pass game (3rd most receiving yards), I expect they'll just hand off a few more times and pass to their TE.

14 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-fines-baltimore-ravens-250-000-for-covid-19-violations

The Ravens had four unique strains of COVID-19 in their facility. Over the span of 10 days, nearly two dozen players were placed on the reserve list, including quarterback Lamar Jackson. The team suspended strength coach Steve Saunders for failing to report his symptoms and not always wearing a mask.

Did suspended strength coach Steve Saunders have all four strains and if not did NFL investigate who else brought in virus?

16 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Did suspended strength coach Steve Saunders have all four strains and if not did NFL investigate who else brought in virus?

The NFL seems to be doing a pretty comprehensive job of contact tracing so I'm sure they did, but that isn't information they're sharing with the public.

An earlier article said that only one strain was spread within the facility.

• Like (+1) 1

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2924870-browns-close-facility-again-after-2-players-test-positive-for-covid-19

The Cleveland Browns announced Thursday that they closed their facility for the second time this week after two players tested positive for COVID-19.

On Tuesday, the Browns placed tight end Harrison Bryant and safeties Andrew Sendejo and Karl Joseph on the reserve/COVID-19 list. ESPN's Jake Trotter reporter that Bryant and Joseph could potentially play against Pittsburgh, but Sendejo won't be available.

That was followed by a coach and a practice-squad player testing positive for COVID-19 on Wednesday, per Pelissero.

The Browns were significantly impacted by COVID-19 last week as well, with linebacker B.J. Goodson testing positive for COVID-19. Goodson missed Cleveland's Week 16 game, as did linebacker Jacob Phillips and wide receivers Jarvis Landry, Rashard Higgins, Donovan Peoples-Jones and KhaDarel Hodge, who were all close contacts.

9 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2924870-browns-close-facility-again-after-2-players-test-positive-for-covid-19

The Cleveland Browns announced Thursday that they closed their facility for the second time this week after two players tested positive for COVID-19.

On Tuesday, the Browns placed tight end Harrison Bryant and safeties Andrew Sendejo and Karl Joseph on the reserve/COVID-19 list. ESPN's Jake Trotter reporter that Bryant and Joseph could potentially play against Pittsburgh, but Sendejo won't be available.

That was followed by a coach and a practice-squad player testing positive for COVID-19 on Wednesday, per Pelissero.

The Browns were significantly impacted by COVID-19 last week as well, with linebacker B.J. Goodson testing positive for COVID-19. Goodson missed Cleveland's Week 16 game, as did linebacker Jacob Phillips and wide receivers Jarvis Landry, Rashard Higgins, Donovan Peoples-Jones and KhaDarel Hodge, who were all close contacts.

Imagine the anxiety on the Cleveland message board these last two weeks.  

15 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Every time we’ve seen significant outbreaks within the locker rooms it’s been traced back to malfeasance and protocol breaking. If the Browns season gets flushed cause of the same, I will shed no tears.

At this point all the teams are in the "intensive covid protocol", meetings are supposed to be remote, staff are supposed to have masks and shields while interacting with players, players are supposed to be masked at all times....

The Bills were a bit of a "big chill" last week with Yeldon taking out 3 other guys as close contacts...should not happen.

On 12/27/2020 at 9:25 AM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Well, considering the Browns normally run the ball like 35 times a game and Hooper features prominently in their pass game (3rd most receiving yards), I expect they'll just hand off a few more times and pass to their TE.

I wonder why NFL did that.....Certainly seems like some teams get more severe punishment at times than other teams for some reason. Like the Titians for example earlier in the season.

And now Ravens (for the 2nd time if I'm not mistaken). Didn't they postpone a game for them earlier in the season when Jackson got covid? Think they moved that particular game all around the place a couple different times if I remember correctly.

But the Browns had to play with 4 WR's out, and Broncos had to play with no QB. It just seems messed up, they should treat the teams that didn't/don't follow guide lines with the same or similar punishment.

Obviously if a particular team is following guide lines and it just so happens they still get sick somehow, then that would be a different story.

42 minutes ago, wjag said:

Imagine the anxiety on the Cleveland message board these last two weeks.  

I know right. They were on the verge on clinching a playoff berth and then bam......your starting WR's wiped out and they lose to the Jets. Damn that's got to be a tough pill to swallow.

And I thought the Bills were the unluckiest franchise for a while (before 2017-2018 anyway). Those Browns have and their fans have not had things go their way about every time you turn around it seems lol.

Just now, Patrick_Duffy said:

I know right. They were on the verge on clinching a playoff berth and then bam......your starting WR's wiped out and they lose to the Jets. Damn that's got to be a tough pill to swallow.

And I thought the Bills were the unluckiest franchise for a while (before 2017-2018 anyway). Those Browns have and their fans have not had things go their way about every time you turn around it seems lol.

I mean, they still had their TE, their vaunted OL, and their RB....why were they passing all over the place?  Seemed like a strange game plan

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I mean, they still had their TE, their vaunted OL, and their RB....why were they passing all over the place?  Seemed like a strange game plan

The strength of the Jets team is their run defense.  But I hear you.  They still should have tried.  It be a mystery.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Update:  NFL says "Game On"

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/browns-game-vs-steelers-e2-80-98not-in-jeopardy-e2-80-99-of-being-postponed-because-no-evidence-of-covid-19-transmission-inside-facility-nfl-says/ar-BB1cmpAR

8 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I didn't watch that particular game, so I'm not sure what their game plan was. But yeah, if they were trying to pass 1st in a game with 4 WRs out, also with the pretty darn good running game they have, then yes, that is a head scratcher.

Edited by Patrick_Duffy