NFL-related Covid News

Greg S
Message added by Hapless Bills Fan

Please refer to @SDS pinned post

This is NOT a thread for general covid-19 discussion - state of the pandemic across the country, what death rate is currently etc etc etc

It is to discuss:
-NFL Covid Policy (with references, not your speculation about how they test or what you think they should do)

-Player test results

-How NFL covid results affects teams and games

Just now, Process said:

If policy is 10 days, and we know today is Friday, isn't it just math.....

I don't understand all this talk of "potentially" missing the wildcard game on twitter.

I think I remember hearing something about a different policy if there’s no symptoms? I dunno...?

9 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Kind of worrisome that any player could be put on the covid list at any time during the playoffs. Just this week we've had Fitzpatrick, Denzel Ward, Devin White, and now Kamara. What happens if say Mahomes has a positive test the day before the AFC Championship?

if the Bills are the Chiefs’ opponent, we celebrate (and wish Mahomes a speedy recovery)

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Kind of worrisome that any player could be put on the covid list at any time during the playoffs. Just this week we've had Fitzpatrick, Denzel Ward, Devin White, and now Kamara. What happens if say Mahomes has a positive test the day before the AFC Championship?

Then Mahomes does not play- its the rules that every team has had to adhere to all season.

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

I think I remember hearing something about a different policy if there’s no symptoms? I dunno...?

10 minutes ago, Process said:

Pretty sure 10 days is the minimum, for someone with no symptoms. But not 100%

I think they're hoping it was a false positive so he'd be available for the playoffs

13 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

I don’t know either.

@Hapless Bills Fan - do you know what the rule is day wise?

I'm looking for the latest version because it changed.  Originally, if someone had no symptoms and tested negative 2x, they could return in 5 days.  But I think that changed to a 10 day minimum.  If they test him tomorrow and the next day and he's negative and stays negative, I think they'll call it a "false positive" and he can come back.

I mean, they have to figure something out for the top players.  They rescheduled some games in the regular season - why not the playoffs?

Would it be too hard to allow each team to name 5 players that they couldn't play without, and reschedule if any of those come down w/ COVID?  The answer to that may be "yes," but I hate the thought if making the Super Bowl and having either Allen or, say, Rogers have to miss because of that.  It would taint the game either way.

• Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, Success said:

I mean, they have to figure something out for the top players.  They rescheduled some games in the regular season - why not the playoffs?

Would it be too hard to allow each team to name 5 players that they couldn't play without, and reschedule if any of those come down w/ COVID?  The answer to that may be "yes," but I hate the thought if making the Super Bowl and having either Allen or, say, Rogers have to miss because of that.  It would taint the game either way.

They didn't reschedule those games because of particular players....

27 minutes ago, Success said:

It was made very clear to the clubs that games would be rescheduled if there was concern for an unchecked outbreak within a facility, but NOT due to unavailability of a key player, players, or coaches.

And the NFL has stuck to that, even when it has produced some very poor competition indeed (QB-less Denver game, coachless Detroit game).

We may wonder if they'd still stick to their guns if it's the Superbowl and one of the starting QBs or another key player, but I don't know what else they do.  Fundamentally, the guys who are crucial to the team's success need to know it, and behave accordingly.

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, zow2 said:

i’d tell Josh Allen to stay home the next 7 days.  team will drop off food or whatever. no need to practice

Yea.  Let's just wrap him in cellophane until the playoffs.  It seems players in states with very meager covid restrictions...FL, LA...for example...are having more players testing positive.  If Cuomo's restrictions get the Bills safely to and through the playoffs, then we shouldn't complain.

8 minutes ago, jkeerie said:

Yea.  Let's just wrap him in cellophane until the playoffs.  It seems players in states with very meager covid restrictions...FL, LA...for example...are having more players testing positive.  If Cuomo's restrictions get the Bills safely to and through the playoffs, then we shouldn't complain.

Freeze the team in carbonite, safest option.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm looking for the latest version because it changed.  Originally, if someone had no symptoms and tested negative 2x, they could return in 5 days.  But I think that changed to a 10 day minimum.  If they test him tomorrow and the next day and he's negative and stays negative, I think they'll call it a "false positive" and he can come back.

Interesting... assuming the false positive can only be declared if there are no symptoms?

27 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Interesting... assuming the false positive can only be declared if there are no symptoms?

Yes, no symptoms and every successive test negative (not negative-positive-negative-negative-positive).  But I'm not sure that's even still a "thing" with the mid-December changes.

Pelissaro tweeted out the latest rubric

image.thumb.png.f66e105b11b7176600685cacc33a3bb8.png