NFL-related Covid News

Greg S
Message added by Hapless Bills Fan

Please refer to @SDS pinned post

This is NOT a thread for general covid-19 discussion - state of the pandemic across the country, what death rate is currently etc etc etc

It is to discuss:
-NFL Covid Policy (with references, not your speculation about how they test or what you think they should do)

-Player test results

-How NFL covid results affects teams and games

9 hours ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

How did I never know this movie existed Donuts?? Updating my Amazon Prime queue as we speak! :w00t:   

HUDS.

HUDS!

Please tell me you are joking?  This is the poor man’s holy grail in parenthesis, all lower case of football movies...BUT A MUST FOR BILLS FANS.  The chamber of commerce hands Betamax versions of this to anyone who watches a Bills game.

Teri Polo is going to be at the Holiday Inn  in Cheektowaga this very day to sign copies of this movie, as well as copies of the Playboy magazine she was in, from 1:30 pm to 2:15 pm.  There will be a kettle of borscht, first come, first serve.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Limeaid said:

Who is Teri Polo?  I am allergic to peroxide.  No way can get there in time today.

love it!

Btw, if you were serious about TP you might know her best as Ben Stiller’s wife in the Meet The F**kers movie.  I know it is not technically a swear word, but I didn’t want to take my chances.

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Yeah, it's Bleacher Report, but actually pretty good article about different strategies around the league to deal with an outbreak at QB

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2920753-execs-cry-foul-on-nfls-covid-rulings-as-coaches-consider-quarantine-qbs

I don't mean to take this conversation into areas I realize you guys are trying to stay away from so strike this from the records your honor If my question is out of order.

Uplifting the spirit of the American people perhaps should be deemed essential IMO. Do you think it might be prudent to vaccinate the NFL quickly?  We are asking a little more from a pro athlete in a contact sport thats practically impossible not to share air with players from other teams IMO. I'm sure NFL players receive very good medical attention for all injuries or illnesses. Protecting them helps protect everyone in the health care industry thats involved IMO. Even If its just the players.

Edited by Figster

2 hours ago, Figster said:

I don't mean to take this conversation into areas I realize you guys are trying to stay away from so strike this from the records your honor If my question is out of order.

Uplifting the spirit of the American people perhaps should be deemed essential IMO. Do you think it might be prudent to vaccinate the NFL quickly?  We are asking a little more from a pro athlete in a contact sport thats practically impossible not to share air with players from other teams IMO. I'm sure NFL players receive very good medical attention for all injuries or illnesses. Protecting them helps protect everyone in the health care industry thats involved IMO. Even If its just the players.

TBH, I think the NFL and/or the NFLPA, should be trying to get the players vaccinnated asap. But that isn't so much for the greater good of the American people's psyche, rather than for the greater good of a billion dollar industry, that could well afford inflated prices. Including coaches, they are probably looking at around 20000 doses,(assuming you need 2 hits, as that appears to be the standard delivery method) which in the grand scheme of things, in the US, is a drop in the ocean. I would still want all vunerable people given theirs first, but everyone knows that isn't going to happen anyway.

A counterpoint to that argument, is that doses generally, need to be given about 3 weeks apart. By the time the first ones are available, and assuming given asap, you are probably at about week 16 or 17 anyway. What it could do however, is avoid potential playoff fiascos.

As Figster said, if this crosses the line, perhaps move it somewhere else, or if deemed necessary bin it.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Buddo said:

TBH, I think the NFL and/or the NFLPA, should be trying to get the players vaccinnated asap. But that isn't so much for the greater good of the American people's psyche, rather than for the greater good of a billion dollar industry, that could well afford inflated prices. Including coaches, they are probably looking at around 20000 doses,(assuming you need 2 hits, as that appears to be the standard delivery method) which in the grand scheme of things, in the US, is a drop in the ocean. I would still want all vunerable people given theirs first, but everyone knows that isn't going to happen anyway.

A counterpoint to that argument, is that doses generally, need to be given about 3 weeks apart. By the time the first ones are available, and assuming given asap, you are probably at about week 16 or 17 anyway. What it could do however, is avoid potential playoff fiascos.

As Figster said, if this crosses the line, perhaps move it somewhere else, or if deemed necessary bin it.

I think the numbers start climbing to high when you include the coaching staffs IMO,  If each state on the other hand could vaccinate its teams NFL active rosters the numbers would stay relatively low IMO. Approximately 3, 200 doses total to help protect the integrity of the game/playoffs and some of the worlds best athlets..

Edited by Figster

1 hour ago, Figster said:

I think the numbers start climbing to high when you include the coaching staffs IMO,  If each state on the other hand could vaccinate its teams NFL active rosters the numbers would stay relatively low IMO. Approximately 3, 200 doses total to help protect the integrity of the game/playoffs and some of the worlds best athlets..

Timing wise - it just makes no sense though.

If the FDA approves the vaccine by 12/11 or 12/14 (first vaccine).  They decide (not the state or the NFL) who is the highest priority.

Even if they decided to vaccinate the NFL players - even if they shipped it to teams - your are looking at a couple of weeks - so earliest would the 28th or early January.  

Since the vaccine is only effective after 2 doses - we are talking about just before SuperBowl. 

The other thing is the side effects seem to be somewhat nasty with patients feeling ill for a couple of days - that could potentially mask actual symptoms - or conversely cause some players to miss a couple of days - so you may need to plan a week of vaccine and quarantine and delay games.

There is a better likelihood of pushing back the playoffs 1 week and bubbling the playoff teams - than getting everyone in the playoffs vaccinated.

At least that is my opinion on this.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, TheFunPolice said:

NFL is going to need a playoff bubble, and 100% better do a Super Bowl bubble

I think you could put the whole NFL into a quarantine type living style families included and achieve good results IMO. I've always thought since the season began that a 2 week break for the entire league may be needed to help protect the integrity of the game. Depending on how it goes the 3 quarter mark of the season might be the time to consider doing so IMO. The last 4 games will determine allot for many teams.

On 12/5/2020 at 11:04 AM, TheFunPolice said:

NFL is going to need a playoff bubble, and 100% better do a Super Bowl bubble

Seeing how they are about to complete Week 13, I see no reason for a bubble of any kind.

Edited by Beast

'At least' four strains of COVID-19 found in Baltimore Ravens' facility

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30454991/at-least-four-strains-covid-19-found-baltimore-ravens-facility

The Baltimore Ravens on Saturday said they were informed by the NFL that "at least four unique strains" of COVID-19 were found inside their facility during the team's outbreak.

"Three of the four were stopped and not spread within our organization," Ravens president Dick Cass said in a statement. "Unfortunately, the fourth was a highly-contagious strain and spread throughout our organization."

The virus's toll: How 32 NFL teams have been hit by COVID-19

https://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/virus-toll-32-nfl-teams-hit-covid-19-74557302

ABC does summary of impact on teams but coverage is uneven.

They talk about Bears Nose tackle Eddie Goldman opted out of the season, damaging the inside defense but neglected other teams who have been impacted similarly like the Bills.

They also failed to mention the wharf rats fleeing ship in New England.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/story/2020-12-07/nfl-coronavirus-strategy-finish-season-bubble

“Our protocols aren’t failing,” said Dr. Allen Sills, the NFL’s chief medical officer. “Our compliance is an area where we can continue to improve. Any protocol is only as good as the compliance that you have, and as I’ve said before, 90% is a failing grade here. We have to have 100% compliance because the virus only needs a small opening to get in.”

Unfortunately, when dealing with human beings, 90-95% is great compliance.  But peer pressure is a thing:

“Nobody wants to be the guy who goes out and does something and then spreads it to a bunch of teammates,” Minnesota Vikings guard Dakota Dozier said. “It’s not good for you and your health, obviously, but it’s going to hurt your teammates and hurt your team’s performance. There is that kind of, ‘Hey, I expect you to be responsible, because I’m going to do the same for you.’ ”

Unlike other leagues that created so-called bubbles for their players, existing in hermetically sealed environments, the NFL allows its players to live with their families and therefore incur the risk of more exposure to the virus. The league might create local bubbles for the postseason — with, for instance, the Rams setting up shop in a Los Angeles hotel — but no decisions have been announced. Goodell said all options are on the table.

I could see McDermott setting up a self-imposed bubble for the playoffs, and I think the players would buy-in. As for players preferentially getting the vaccine, I don’t think so. It’s just a game. I love football, but the only reason they’re still playing (when everyone is preaching social distancing) is for tax revenues. 

2 minutes ago, Saint Doug said:

I could see McDermott setting up a self-imposed bubble for the playoffs, and I think the players would buy-in. As for players preferentially getting the vaccine, I don’t think so. It’s just a game. I love football, but the only reason they’re still playing (when everyone is preaching social distancing) is for tax revenues. 

Professional athletes treated preferentially for the vaccine simply shouldn't even be a thing.  There are so many others that need to be in line long before pro athletes are.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Super Bowl bubble, at the very least, makes sense.

I would put the top 4 teams in a bubble for the conference title games and Super Bowl.

Ultimately, it's only a few weeks maximum, and I'm sure Bills players won't mind a vacation from the cold. Only 1 NFC team would be affected for the full several weeks. 

Edited by TheFunPolice

23 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

Super Bowl bubble, at the very least, makes sense.

I would put the top 4 teams in a bubble for the conference title games and Super Bowl.

Ultimately, it's only a few weeks maximum, and I'm sure Bills players won't mind a vacation from the cold. Only 1 NFC team would be affected for the full several weeks. 

So move them all to Edmonton?  Seemed to work for hockey 🙂 

10 minutes ago, wjag said:

So move them all to Edmonton?  Seemed to work for hockey 🙂 

At the end of the day, as long as the Bills are OK with a 3-4 week bubble, it's really only one other team. the other 2 will only be in there for one game, then they get to go home.