NFL-related Covid News

Greg S
Message added by Hapless Bills Fan

Please refer to @SDS pinned post

This is NOT a thread for general covid-19 discussion - state of the pandemic across the country, what death rate is currently etc etc etc

It is to discuss:
-NFL Covid Policy (with references, not your speculation about how they test or what you think they should do)

-Player test results

-How NFL covid results affects teams and games

Jaguars will be without 3 defensive coaches vs. Browns due to COVID-19, including DC Todd Wash

https://www.nfl.com/news/jags-will-be-without-3-defensive-coaches-vs-browns-due-to-covid-19-including-dc-

The Jacksonville Jaguars will be without three defensive coaches, including coordinator Todd Wash for Sunday's game against the Cleveland Browns.

The entire Jags defensive staff was not at the team facility Tuesday as the club underwent contact tracing after positive tests.

Marrone noted that secondary coach Joe Danna would call defensive plays in Wash's absence.

With defensive coaches out of the building, special teams assistant Mike Mallory will run the defense during practice.

NFL COVID-19 updates: Browns close facility after another player tests positive for COVID-19

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/browns/2020/11/25/nfl-covid-19-updates-cleveland-browns-jacksonville-jaguars/6420541002/

The club did not immediately disclose the identity of the player who will be required to be placed on the reserve/COVID-19 list later Wednesday.

Remote meetings are being held, and contact tracing is underway.

The Browns are going through this for the second day in a row. A positive test Tuesday resulted in the team temporarily shutting down its training facility.

Colts place DeForest Buckner on reserve/COVID list; Philip Rivers (toe) DNP

https://www.nfl.com/news/colts-qb-philip-rivers-toe-not-practicing-wednesday

The status for one of the Colts' best players is in doubt for Sunday's showdown with the Titans.

Indianapolis placed defensive lineman DeForest Buckner on the reserve/COVID-19 list Wednesday.

Buckner has been a key cog in what has been one of this NFL's top defensive units this season. He's collected 41 tackles and 16 quarterback hits through his first 10 games in Indy, after being traded from the 49ers during free agency. His absence would be a major blow for the league's third-ranked rush defense against leading rusher Derrick Henry.

The Colts already practiced Wednesday without quarterback Philip Rivers. He's getting a couple of days off with the hope that he won't need more.

Coach Frank Reich said Rivers was held out as a precaution but could practice if needed after he bruised his toe in this past Sunday's win against the Packers.

Falcons, Browns working virtually Thursday following positive COVID-19 tests

https://www.nfl.com/news/falcons-to-work-virtually-thursday-following-positive-covid-19-tests-from-non-co

The Browns announced that a player tested positive for the novel coronavirus, which prompted the team's facility to shut down. Meetings will take place virtually while contact tracing is conducted to identify anyone who could be considered a high-risk close contact.

Thursday marks the second consecutive day the Browns have adjusted their schedule due to COVID-19. Cleveland placed linebacker Sione Takitaki on the team's reserve/COVID-19 list Wednesday.

The Falcons announced that two non-coaching staff members of the organization tested positive for COVID-19.

"Contact tracing protocols have commenced and at this time we have stopped all in-person work at IBM Performance Field with all operations conducted virtually on Thursday," the team announced in a statement.

The Falcons added that Thursday's news does not affect the status of Sunday's game against the Las Vegas Raiders

Washington Football Team owner Dan Snyder, president Jason Wright will not attend game due to COVID close contact

https://www.nfl.com/news/washington-football-team-owner-dan-snyder-president-jason-wright-will-not-attend

Washington Football Team owner Dan Snyder, his wife Tanya and Washington team president Jason Wright will not travel with the team for its game Thursday after coming in contact with a person who tested positive for COVID-19, the team announced in a statement Wednesday.

Larry Fitzgerald tests positive and is "out" for this Sunday's game against the Pats.

https://www.nfl.com/news/cardinals-wr-larry-fitzgerald-tests-positive-for-covid-19-will-miss-game-vs-patr

We will hope the Cards can handle Belicheck and the Pats without him.  At least I will hope for this.....

The Baltimore Poe-birds say another player and "a couple of staff members" test positive and go on the Covid list, contact-tracing to follow

https://www.nfl.com/news/additional-ravens-player-staff-members-test-positive-for-covid-19

Said to be no impact for Sunday's game against the Pissed-off Steelers.

1 hour ago, Rochesterian Bills Fan said:

Lamar Jackson has tested positive for COVID. Baltimore might not make the Playoffs now. 

Well WELL well Well well Well.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/ravens-quarterback-lamar-jackson-tests-positive-for-covid-19-per-report/

As far as playoffs, I think they'll control their own fate. 

The 7-3 Brownies have 3 games they ought to win, and 3 games they would be expected to struggle with, including the Titans, Steelers, and a rematch against the Ravens themselves.  If the Poe-birds "take care of business" against the Browns and the Titans and Steelers handle them, they'll finish 10-6.

Aside from the Stillers and Browns, the Poe-Birds have the Cowboys, Jags, Giants, and Burrow-less Bengals on the docket.  So 10-6 should still be possible, and if they lose to the Stillers but beat the Browns for a 2nd time 11-5 and they'd own the head-to-head tiebreaker.

We'll see what goes down with Jackson (symptoms, no symptoms, etc) but he should miss 1-2 games.  Unless he gets Sweeney'd.

7 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Top 3 RBs now.

The Ravens are dealing with several positive COVID-19 tests between players and staff that have been reported, and it was already known that they would be without their top two running backs in Mark Ingram and J.K. Dobbins if the game was to be played on Thanksgiving

2 hours ago, Rochesterian Bills Fan said:

Lamar Jackson has tested positive for COVID. Baltimore might not make the Playoffs now. 

The alternate 16 team playoff becoming more likely with cases going up across the country.

6 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

The alternate 16 team playoff becoming more likely with cases going up across the country.

My wife and myself were doing our annual Thanksgiving dinner over Skype (at 8:30am) with my family back home in Henrietta. I was talking to my Steelers fan Dad about the Ravens game (this was before word broke about Lamar) and the conversation turned from football to how bad things are in the Rochester area. There a small handful of active cases in Australia so I couldn't believe its out of control still. I'm thinking the season is definitely going to have a 16 playoff format given what I heard across the dinner table.

11 minutes ago, Rochesterian Bills Fan said:

My wife and myself were doing our annual Thanksgiving dinner over Skype (at 8:30am) with my family back home in Henrietta. I was talking to my Steelers fan Dad about the Ravens game (this was before word broke about Lamar) and the conversation turned from football to how bad things are in the Rochester area. There a small handful of active cases in Australia so I couldn't believe its out of control still. I'm thinking the season is definitely going to have a 16 playoff format given what I heard across the dinner table.

It may come to that.  Even more important, your dad lives in Henrietta and is a Steelers fan?  Blasphemy.  

19 minutes ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

Ravens should forfeit the game since they broke protocol.  If not the Steelers are screwed again and whatever this wisdom of the NFL to go to 16 teams will screw them out of the bye. 

Another line of thinking is that the Ravens are unable to practice and would be playing without significant on-field contributors, so the Steelers have gained unexpected advantages in this pivotal divisional matchup. 

10 hours ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

Ravens should forfeit the game since they broke protocol.  If not the Steelers are screwed again and whatever this wisdom of the NFL to go to 16 teams will screw them out of the bye. 

10 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

Another line of thinking is that the Ravens are unable to practice and would be playing without significant on-field contributors, so the Steelers have gained unexpected advantages in this pivotal divisional matchup. 

Both things true.

What I don't like is the pundit in the link I quoted above opining that the Sunday game is in jeopardy: "While the game against the Steelers has already been moved to Sunday, the chances of it being played are reportedly "diminishing quickly."  Apparently this came from Schefter:

But he and Mike Florio are spatting about it:

https://brobible.com/sports/article/espns-adam-schefter-mike-florio/

Here's the thing though: it seems pretty clear that the Ravens willfully broke protocol.  Very hard to believe that a S&C coach could be unmasked and not wearing his tracker, and have that unnoted (the tracking data is supposed to be verified daily, and a tracker sitting in an office at a time when a guy's duties are in the facility should be a Big Flag).

If the NFL wants to have any credibility about consequences for teams who violate protocols, they have to take the viewpoint with the Steelers either you play, or you forfeit.

34 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This stuff has been happening, no?  

I feel like increased attention will be on any positive case again because of the Ravens issues, but for the past X weeks, players/coach positives and temporary facility shutdowns have been somewhat commonplace. 

Teams have been mitigating and following protocol so games went on as scheduled... until the Ravens entered the chat.  

Edited by SCBills