Trade AJ Klein for for a bag of donuts, a hot pretzel and a hot dog

5 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm sure you're correct that they weren't expecting AJ Klein to have to play this much, but if you're looking for a guy who can back up your starters - you need one who can, you know, actually BACK UP YOUR STARTERS

It'd be ideal, right? Klein has been rough, but it's not like he doesn't know what he's doing out there. We've seen him hit the correct gap numerous times and he's regularly flying around the ball...but he seems to be allergic to tackling. 

11 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

It'd be ideal, right? Klein has been rough, but it's not like he doesn't know what he's doing out there. We've seen him hit the correct gap numerous times and he's regularly flying around the ball...but he seems to be allergic to tackling. 

Actually, while I don't claim expertise, I believe I've seen him hella out of position too much, especially when asked to drop into coverage.

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Actually, while I don't claim expertise, I believe I've seen him hella out of position too much, especially when asked to drop into coverage.

Yeah that's why I said numerous instead of all the time haha. Sunday was brutal. A number of plays where I was just like, "Is he weak or something? He's got guys wrapped up and they just run right out of it, ugh." Hopefully Milano is off the pitch count this week and is a full go. 

9 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

AJ Klein will make a comeback and you will all be very sorry :nana:

To the contrary, if AJ Klein's play improves I would lead a parade for him!  We can start at Lafayette Square (former site of KLEINhans men's clothing) and march to KLEINhans Music Hall.  Music for the event will be chosen according to circumstance but my first choice would be Beyonce' "If you Like it...Put a Ring on It"

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

Yeah that's why I said numerous instead of all the time haha. Sunday was brutal. A number of plays where I was just like, "Is he weak or something? He's got guys wrapped up and they just run right out of it, ugh." Hopefully Milano is off the pitch count this week and is a full go. 

Unfortunately, BangedUpBills says 2-6 weeks, trending more towards the 6 week window.  Milano is playing with a brace literally holding one arm down, which is hindering his tackling.  We're coming up on 5 weeks this Sunday.  I would say we might see increased snap counts (love ya @Shaw66) but he'll continue with the brace for several more weeks, which severely limits his effectiveness 😢

12 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

What happened to AJ Klein? He wasn't a bad LB just a couple years ago. 

It's a mystery.

1. He was a reasonable backup for some big shoes playing up Kuechly in 2016 - but that was the Panther's "hangover season" where they went 6-10

2. He started as the RLB for 3 decent Saints defenses in 2017-2019.    He was 8, 3, and 3 in combined tackles on the team; 9, 7, and 4 in solo tackles.

Here are some thoughts, and maybe they might spur some of our contributors who know more of the details of defense to chime in.

1. The Saints, as far as I know, play closer to a true 4-3 defense?  Demario Davis is the heart and soul of that defense and the leading tackler, the sideline-to-sideline speed guy.  Klein's role, I think, was to stay home, set the edge, and thump what came near him as they attempted to avoid Davis.  In the Bills defense last year with Edmunds playing better and Milano sideline to sideline, Klein may have looked like a capable swap for that part of Alexander's role in the Bills base 4-3 D

2. Asking him to play for Milano in the Bills true base 4-2-5 D, I think, is asking him to do something he has never done well.  He has never had the speed to be a true sideline to sideline guy, nor the coverage skills of Milano.  So he's kind of "playing out of position" and exposed.  I'm not sure what the Bills thoughts on him were, bringing him in, but I think they may have conceptualized Dodson or Del'Shawn Phillips as the backups to Milano.  Or, maybe he had more skill and speed 4 years ago when he last played for McDermott and McDermott's viewpoint is colored by the relatively ageless Alexander.

3. Everyone learning a system plays slower because they have to think.  For a guy whose speed is marginal to start with, that could be the difference between adequate and "late to the fair".  It is possible that as he becomes more comfortable in the system, he will play faster and be in the right place more often.

21 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

Someone much better.😂

Yes, it's clear that's what you think, but it's a content-free response; who?

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Yes, it's clear that's what you think, but it's a content-free response; who?

Sorry, I couldn't help myself, too easy.

There were many lbs I would have been happier with. What is the point of me looking back and naming them all? I said it was a bad signing when it happened. Klein was awful last year but they gave him a multiyear contract and overpaid. Do you think he was the only choice or one of the better choices out there? It was a bad move. Williams I was skeptical of, but that turned out to be a good move. Win some and lose some I guess.

4 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

Sorry, I couldn't help myself, too easy.

There were many lbs I would have been happier with. What is the point of me looking back and naming them all? I said it was a bad signing when it happened. Klein was awful last year but they gave him a multiyear contract and overpaid. Do you think he was the only choice or one of the better choices out there? It was a bad move. Williams I was skeptical of, but that turned out to be a good move. Win some and lose some I guess.

The point is to demonstrate that the Bills, in fact, had opportunities to sign a better LB in FA which they passed up. 

• Like (+1) 1

Well we don't have that kind of insider info. I could list some of the top free agents but just because a guy is a free agent doesn't mean your team has a shot. I'm not saying they passed on better talent, I just felt strongly that Klein was washed and not worth 6 mil per. It would be interesting to know if they had other targets or if he was the one they wanted though. 

23 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

Well we don't have that kind of insider info. I could list some of the top free agents but just because a guy is a free agent doesn't mean your team has a shot. I'm not saying they passed on better talent, I just felt strongly that Klein was washed and not worth 6 mil per. It would be interesting to know if they had other targets or if he was the one they wanted though. 

Right, exactly.  We agree that Klein is "weak sauce" and we'd have liked the Bills to do better, but maybe Klein was the best FA the Bills could manage

He actually didn't show signs of being "washed" last year, but I think even though nominally it's the same scheme (4-3) what the Bills need from a LB is actually quite different.

• Like (+1) 1