Trade AJ Klein for for a bag of donuts, a hot pretzel and a hot dog

33 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

IMO....take with a grain of salt as I’m no expert....they were initially trying to plug Klein in for Milano.  It didn’t work.  Trying to fill the roles Milano filled kept him out of position and taking those bad angles.  Add in trying to come up to speed in the defensive scheme had him needing to think too much, and it was fugly.  Actually I think Frazier and McDermott pretty much confirmed all these things.

So when it became clear Milano was not going to be able to come back for weeks, Frazier and company sat down and shuffled the deck.  They carved out a role for Klein that played to Klein’s strengths and handed some of Milano’s responsibilities off to the secondary.  In the meantime, Klein knocked the rust off and mastered the scheme to the point where he could play faster and more instinctive.

I like Frazier and have no desire whatsoever to swap him for Schwartz as was suggested on another thread 🤮but IMO it’s a fair question why they didn’t do this earlier, like when Milano was initially injured.  Daboll practically re-writes the offense every damned week, to the point where I wish he’d sometimes simplify a bit.  It’s almost like Frazier waited to take action until maybe McDermott told him, “this is unacceptable, it has to change, how may I help you succeed here?” (Which for those who don’t know is best-managed behavior boss-speak for “Fix it now you *****up or I’ll toss your butt and get someone who can!”).

I suppose there’s a downside in imposing change on the players.  I think perhaps they thought they could coast on the offensive production and were taken aback when it fell off in week 5 and 6 and it was “oh, hey, yeah, we need the D to shoulder its load”

Spot on and this is what good coaching does. Complete 180* flip to the Wrex Ryan debacle in Buffalo. 

You're also seeing a change the last 2-3 weeks in Edmunds play which is going to be big for us. I know this thread is on Klein but Edmunds looked just as bad if not worse. I personally was very tough on him to the point I wanted him benched. I'm glad to see coaching play to their players strengths and the D is looking much improved. If we can get back down to the 16-17pts a game like prior years this team can go far with our O. 

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, Real McNasty said:

Spot on and this is what good coaching does. Complete 180* flip to the Wrex Ryan debacle in Buffalo. 

You're also seeing a change the last 2-3 weeks in Edmunds play which is going to be big for us. I know this thread is on Klein but Edmunds looked just as bad if not worse. I personally was very tough on him to the point I wanted him benched. I'm glad to see coaching play to their players strengths and the D is looking much improved. If we can get back down to the 16-17pts a game like prior years this team can go far with our O. 

I think they shifted Edmunds responsibilities around a bit.  I also think Frazier and McD were playing it straight when they said he had picked up some technical problems as a result of the injury that they worked with him to correct.

Also mixed up the DL.  I haven’t made it all the way through yet, but one thing I’m seeing on film against the Chargers is that they’re actually lining up without a 1T on DL at times.  This is one of these where I wish one of our media guys whose job it actually is to do this stuff would deep-dive into it and explain what they’re doing.  I’m still just trying to sort out who’s playing, where and when.

Anyway I think it’s a testament to McDermott’s approach that a coach’s job is to look at why performance is off and help teach and improve, not just rip on a guy.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Klein might not be as bad as I thought, but I still don't think he's a good player. 

Some of his sacks were scheme based and he was unblocked en route to the QB. Props to Klein for making the sack, but that's the expectation when you get a free run at a QB. 

How about this play on Chargers first TD drive? 

3rd & 10 at BUF 22

(8:08 - 1st) (Shotgun) J.Herbert pass short left to A.Ekeler pushed ob at BUF 8 for 14 yards (A.Klein).

Klein took an extra step towards Herbert and didn't have the speed to chase down Ekeler. Cost a probable 4 points that play. 

4 hours ago, Victory Formation said:

Clearly Klein is valuable as a Mike in running situations.. And Edmunds is better suited at Mike in passing situations.. Clearly at this point I feel that our Mike should alternate on what the offense is giving us.. 

in this defense on run fits every player has a gap. Not much difference whether you’re listed as mlb, olb, Ilb, Sam, will, nickel, safety.

People that keep harping on this mlb thing like it’s a traditional 3-4 or 4-3 scheme or a 90’s wrecks defense where the MLB is god. 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

On 12/2/2020 at 9:46 AM, badassgixxer05 said:

Are donuts still on the table for Taron Johnson? 🤔

Probably not, the entire secondary has been much improved the last 5 weeks or so. Have a top 5 QB rating against, number of INTS and number of TD allowed during that time.

2 hours ago, HOUSE said:

Isn't Hughes technically an OLB converted to DE?

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Probably not, the entire secondary has been much improved the last 5 weeks or so. Have a top 5 QB rating against, number of INTS and number of TD allowed during that time.

Isn't Hughes technically an OLB converted to DE?

No he was backing up two very good DEs for Colts before traded.

21 hours ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

Klein might not be as bad as I thought, but I still don't think he's a good player. 

Some of his sacks were scheme based and he was unblocked en route to the QB. Props to Klein for making the sack, but that's the expectation when you get a free run at a QB. 

How about this play on Chargers first TD drive? 

3rd & 10 at BUF 22

(8:08 - 1st) (Shotgun) J.Herbert pass short left to A.Ekeler pushed ob at BUF 8 for 14 yards (A.Klein).

Klein took an extra step towards Herbert and didn't have the speed to chase down Ekeler. Cost a probable 4 points that play. 

First off, true about that 1st TD drive, I saw that error.  But to his defense later in the game he didn't get fooled and stopped the play for a loss.

Second, while I agree it looks like some is scheme based, one thing I like is that they are adjusting their scheme to this more aggressive style.  Having Klein be a factor in shifting the D philosophy to more attacking is not a bad thing IMO.

• Like (+1) 2