Trade AJ Klein for for a bag of donuts, a hot pretzel and a hot dog

6 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

it could have been any of us that started this thread. There but for the grace of God go I.

Agree. I agreed with it when it was posted. Hope the REAL AJ is the player we saw the past few weeks, and not the sorry one we saw before the original post.

• Like (+1) 1

he's a better football player than i thought he was, so obv i was wrong about that.

the corches have also adjusted how they use him to great effect tho.  bill bellycheat is the king of that, only has guys do what they are capable of.  he picks players based on his scheme, of course, but then he makes wrinkles and adjustments to maximize what he's got.  im glad our guys did that too, but they are so stubborn sometimes, taking a lot of hits to the head against the wall before figuring out they can go around it.

my football dream of 3 capable line backers on the field at the same time shouldn't feel so far fetched, considering we were top 3 on D w a 4-3 scheme the past two years, but what do i know. 

I’ll count myself amongst those who threw Klein under the bus. Something happened a few weeks ago for sure. I’m sure someone who knows more about defensive strategy and technique could explain. It appears a light bulb went on. 

PS: The exact same thing had happened to Bass and pretty much right around the same week. Did they change the buffet table at OBD? 

I lucked out, 👍 I didn’t run my pie hole on this one, 😁, can I now talk 💩 about how thoughtful I was not to say anything, 😂 , Good to see him utilized for success and for AJ to have upped his game! 

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I’ll count myself amongst those who threw Klein under the bus. Something happened a few weeks ago for sure. I’m sure someone who knows more about defensive strategy and technique could explain. It appears a light bulb went on. 

PS: The exact same thing had happened to Bass and pretty much right around the same week. Did they change the buffet table at OBD? 

Yup. They both got (more) comfortable in their roles. 

5 minutes ago, Doc said:

Yup. They both got (more) comfortable in their roles. 

It has to be more than that with Klein. Early on he was taking some of the worst angles on tackles that I’ve ever seen. I wonder if not having an offseason hurt him. He’s a veteran and may have simply needed more time to get back ‘up to speed’. 

Seems like Leslie and Sean realized we do not have the DLine to sit back and apply four man fronts effectively.

We are blitzing a lot now and from several angles. Much more aggressive... and while the propensity to give up some big plays is likely as a result, it seems we are seeing a much more effective defense. I suspect the TO's and sacks will continue to sharply climb and we will end up top 5 in both, cause we know there are playmakers in that secondary.

I’ll admit that I was harsh on Klein earlier this year. He just looked too slow and missed tackles. With Covid and playing a new position, I underestimated the learning curve he’d need joining a new team. While those first 4 weeks or so were pretty brutal, he’s been playing really great lately in Milano’s absence and has been a big part of the defensive turnaround. I’m happy to be wrong on him. 

Edited by TheProcess

24 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

It has to be more than that with Klein. Early on he was taking some of the worst angles on tackles that I’ve ever seen. I wonder if not having an offseason hurt him. He’s a veteran and may have simply needed more time to get back ‘up to speed’. 

I believe he actually said it. 

57 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

IMO....take with a grain of salt as I’m no expert....they were initially trying to plug Klein in for Milano.  It didn’t work.  Trying to fill the roles Milano filled kept him out of position and taking those bad angles.  Add in trying to come up to speed in the defensive scheme had him needing to think too much, and it was fugly.  Actually I think Frazier and McDermott pretty much confirmed all these things.

So when it became clear Milano was not going to be able to come back for weeks, Frazier and company sat down and shuffled the deck.  They carved out a role for Klein that played to Klein’s strengths and handed some of Milano’s responsibilities off to the secondary.  In the meantime, Klein knocked the rust off and mastered the scheme to the point where he could play faster and more instinctive.

I like Frazier and have no desire whatsoever to swap him for Schwartz as was suggested on another thread 🤮but IMO it’s a fair question why they didn’t do this earlier, like when Milano was initially injured.  Daboll practically re-writes the offense every damned week, to the point where I wish he’d sometimes simplify a bit.  It’s almost like Frazier waited to take action until maybe McDermott told him, “this is unacceptable, it has to change, how may I help you succeed here?” (Which for those who don’t know is best-managed behavior boss-speak for “Fix it now you *****up or I’ll toss your butt and get someone who can!”).

I suppose there’s a downside in imposing change on the players.  I think perhaps they thought they could coast on the offensive production and were taken aback when it fell off in week 5 and 6 and it was “oh, hey, yeah, we need the D to shoulder its load”

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1