Trade AJ Klein for for a bag of donuts, a hot pretzel and a hot dog

Knee jerk reaction time. Has McBeane and Co whiffed as badly on defensive talent as much as they seem to have on AJ Klein?

He’s got a 3 year 18 mil contract with 9.7 guaranteed and the only discernible highlight play he has made in hindsight was to not tackle Newton so he could get the ball punched out by Zimmer. 

Edited by benderbender
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 9

4 minutes ago, A Firm Tree Does Not Fear said:

he sure missed some tackles, that's for sure. I was like, what the hell, can this kid tackle? of course, it seems the defense as a whole has had issues with tackling and it's frustrating to say the least.

You, Sir, are correct!

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

The problem is his contract. Any FO with access to film won’t take it. 

Maybe we should change his name and number!

• Like (+1) 1

Definitely Beane's worst signing since becoming our GM.

At least most of his whiffs could be cut easily after a season.  

Klein will be taking up a worthless roster spot for the next two years, unless we are willing to take the dead cap hit.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

No way you are pulling doughnuts AND a hot dog.  Gotta get real on his value.

Just now, mjt328 said:

Definitely Beane's worst signing since becoming our GM.

At least most of his whiffs could be cut easily after a season.  

Klein will be taking up a worthless roster spot for the next two years, unless we are willing to take the dead cap hit.

It’s on the list, but debatable in terms of worst, he’s had some really questionable signings / trades already.

• Haha (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

It’s on the list, but debatable in terms of worst, he’s had some really questionable signings / trades already.

This.  Frankly, all of Beane's off-season FA acquisitions on defense have been huge disappointments so far, at least to me.

He's spent more money than he would have on Shaq and Phillips, and gotten less performance.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Sad 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This.  Frankly, all of Beane's off-season FA acquisitions on defense have been huge disappointments so far, at least to me.

He's spent more money than he would have on Shaq and Phillips, and gotten less performance.

Agreed - it's really been the 1st time I've questioned his moves.

It feels like we could have kept Shaq or Phillips, or even both.  Our D would be much more what we've been used to had we done that. Shaq hurt the most, imo - I understand why we have to let some guys go eventually, but he was a high draft pick and was performing up to expectations.  He'd make such a difference on this year's defense.

49 minutes ago, A Firm Tree Does Not Fear said:

he sure missed some tackles, that's for sure. I was like, what the hell, can this kid tackle? of course, it seems the defense as a whole has had issues with tackling and it's frustrating to say the least.

But on other side at least he is slow and can'y cover anyone

Klein and Murphy are the first two that put a small dent into the pristine image I have of Brandon Beane as a GM.  

The fan base was overwhelmingly critical of keeping Murphy on the roster and signing Klein... and here we are, halfway through the season, and Klein has been terrible, while we potentially have to “sweeten the deal” to move Murphy’s contract in any trade scenario.  

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, A Firm Tree Does Not Fear said:

This.

A lot of spectators and tourist for much of the second half. Some of that was Frazier not finding a solution to that bubble rpo they were executing off the edge.

But it does seem that when this defense,  as a whole, swarm to the ball and gang tackle they click. When they take turns executing flying arm tackles up high on players you see the long gainers gash our front.

If we are honest, Klein may be the guy we are hating on but may also be the only defender diagnosing plays and weaving through traffic to get near enough to try to make a stop. So we notice him more.

Probably a bit of both. Either way of looking at that is not very encouraging.

• Like (+1) 2

28 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Agree. I didn't like Butler, Klein or Addison.... I did like Jefferson and thought Norman was worth a punt.... but so far not a one of them has come up smelling of roses.

Matakevich has been his best defensive FA signing.... and he isn't really a defensive signing, he is a core special teamer.