Defensive game plans

WIDE LEFT

Having a hard time understanding Bills defensive game plans recently. They simply don’t seem to tailor their game plan to the specific opponent they play each week. Case in point - Patriots roll into town with perhaps the most pathetic wide receiver group in recent NFL history. One truism about WRs - most difficult thing for a WR is to create separation versus NFL caliber defensive backs. It’s oh so much easier for lesser talented WRs to find soft spots/openings in zone coverage (see Zay Jones). And yet against these talent challenged WRs we played a ton of soft zone - allowing Cam to have a decent passing day.

Worse yet was the times they did go man to man. Pats had one decent, experienced WR Sunday - Jacobi Myers. On his big catches of the day he was matched against either are worst cover corner (Taron Johnson) or a safety. Why wasnt our 10 million dollar CB on him ALL day?. He was their number one threat. Take away the best/favorite target. Again not scheming for the specific opponent. Please don’t respond by telling me Jacobi M operated out of the slot. Doesn’t mean White can’t be assigned to him. Last year they matched White up against big time tight ends. It’s not a surprise that the D has struggled this year, when staff doesn’t adjust scheme to specific opponent. Too predictable- offenses coming in here know exactly what to expect. And it shows.

• Like (+1) 3

I agree with all of this. The plans lack any creativity that we've seen in the past. We seem unable to adjust once an offense figures out what we are trying to do to them. We should've blitzed new england into submission and made cam throw the ball. Id send Klein on almost every play, what else is he going to do. We rarely help Taron Johnson even though he continues to get burnt like toast. I believe the defense will improve but schematically the coaches are doing much to help. 

28 minutes ago, wvbillsfan said:

I agree with all of this. The plans lack any creativity that we've seen in the past. We seem unable to adjust once an offense figures out what we are trying to do to them. We should've blitzed new england into submission and made cam throw the ball. Id send Klein on almost every play, what else is he going to do. We rarely help Taron Johnson even though he continues to get burnt like toast. I believe the defense will improve but schematically the coaches are doing much to help. 

Klein blitzed several times and was completely ineffective.  Its like he made no attempt to dodge the Olinemen and just ran into a brick wall and gave up.  It was horrible.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

The Bills used the blitz during moments of panic during the PATs.. I was losing my mind when on the few obvious passing downs that were presented, we blitzed instead of dropping into coverage against a very shaky passer, Newton.

So agreed, whoever is calling the defensive plays.. does not get it.

My hope was they'd come out against the Patriots with man-to-man on the outside with a high safety and a "spy" in the box on Newton.  No such thing.  Soft zone with lots of space between the receiver and the defenders to comfortably throw the ball to the receiver waiting all by himself. 

One things for sure.  If they come out next week against Wilson and the Seattle offense with this vanilla, first week of pre-season defense they are going to get shredded all day long. 

17 minutes ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

My hope was they'd come out against the Patriots with man-to-man on the outside with a high safety and a "spy" in the box on Newton.  No such thing.  Soft zone with lots of space between the receiver and the defenders to comfortably throw the ball to the receiver waiting all by himself. 

One things for sure.  If they come out next week against Wilson and the Seattle offense with this vanilla, first week of pre-season defense they are going to get shredded all day long. 

Tre needs to be on DK the entire game and have Hyde shaded to his side. I'd be shocked if I saw anything different. I'd expect a lot of Man-2 this game, but we'll see. Hopefully Milano is finally on track to play 70+% of the snaps and we see more Siran.

4 minutes ago, High Football IQ said:

All this team ever does is the classic 'line up and force teams to beat you' look on defense which is exactly what Dick 'The Corpse' Jauron's teams did. Problem is even the more mediorce to bad teams in the league will move the ball against this as well, let alone the good teams destroying it. There's no disguised coverages which is why opposing WR's and TE's are constantly wide open.

This is why I don't really see this team doing much or making any big trades today because they will stick with what they have so they can fire Leslie Frasier as the convenient scapegoat for what went wrong especially if this team fizzles out and misses the playoffs which I suspect is coming.

boy this post makes it obvious you have no clue what you are watching on Sundays 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, High Football IQ said:

All this team ever does is the classic 'line up and force teams to beat you' look on defense which is exactly what Dick 'The Corpse' Jauron's teams did. Problem is even the more mediorce to bad teams in the league will move the ball against this as well, let alone the good teams destroying it. There's no disguised coverages which is why opposing WR's and TE's are constantly wide open.

This is why I don't really see this team doing much or making any big trades today because they will stick with what they have so they can fire Leslie Frasier as the convenient scapegoat for what went wrong especially if this team fizzles out and misses the playoffs which I suspect is coming.

STRONNGGGG post : username ratio.

This might be the third or fourth clueless post I've seen from you.

1 hour ago, WIDE LEFT said:

Having a hard time understanding Bills defensive game plans recently. They simply don’t seem to tailor their game plan to the specific opponent they play each week. Case in point - Patriots roll into town with perhaps the most pathetic wide receiver group in recent NFL history. One truism about WRs - most difficult thing for a WR is to create separation versus NFL caliber defensive backs. It’s oh so much easier for lesser talented WRs to find soft spots/openings in zone coverage (see Zay Jones). And yet against these talent challenged WRs we played a ton of soft zone - allowing Cam to have a decent passing day.

Worse yet was the times they did go man to man. Pats had one decent, experienced WR Sunday - Jacobi Myers. On his big catches of the day he was matched against either are worst cover corner (Taron Johnson) or a safety. Why wasnt our 10 million dollar CB on him ALL day?. He was their number one threat. Take away the best/favorite target. Again not scheming for the specific opponent. Please don’t respond by telling me Jacobi M operated out of the slot. Doesn’t mean White can’t be assigned to him. Last year they matched White up against big time tight ends. It’s not a surprise that the D has struggled this year, when staff doesn’t adjust scheme to specific opponent. Too predictable- offenses coming in here know exactly what to expect. And it shows.

Agree with everything you said. I’ve been basically saying the same thing about the defensive game plan. It really doesn’t make sense to me

44 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Klein blitzed several times and was completely ineffective.  Its like he made no attempt to dodge the Olinemen and just ran into a brick wall and gave up.  It was horrible.

Do not disagree. Saw exactly what you saw. But it’s still better than having this guy in space. If he’s occupying a blocker maybe someone else will win a 1 on 1

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, wvbillsfan said:

Do not disagree. Saw exactly what you saw. But it’s still better than having this guy in space. If he’s occupying a blocker maybe someone else will win a 1 on 1

Yeah I agree. I do wish he would win at least 1 or 2 .. 1 on 1's himself.

52 minutes ago, High Football IQ said:

No disguised coverages??? I think I posted this about you in another thread: I think you have an identification disorder similar to dyslexia, where you think you are watching an entirely different team. I'm not sure what team you're actually watching, but it's not the Bills.

Our coaching staff has shown multiple times they are not good enough to turn us into an elite NFL team. We will forever be a meddling team who sneaks into the playoffs or wins the division and exits in the 1st round, like the Bengals with Marvin Lewis. We are stuck with McD for a while so might as well see what happens and hope Allen turns into a top 5 QB 

Edited by Penfield45

Speculation of course, but I think there are growing pains with Edmunds being the "caller" on the defense after Alexander's retirement. I think this year is his first year doing it.   He's got the speaker in the helmet, and it's not just running what is communicated from the sideline like a robot because the call will dictate the sides, gaps and alignment specifications but the linebacker has to make a split second decision to change the play if he sees something from the offense.  

I don't think that particular part is going very well.  McDermott had Trotter in Philly, Keuchly and Davis in Carolina.  Experienced pros with a high aptitude for the game.  

I'm not saying Edmunds lacks the aptitude, but he's being asked to do a job he certainly didn't do in college or his first couple years as a Bill. It's new for him, with no camp or preseason.  He's not a 10-year vet out there who's seen it all and can bark out a blitz or align the corners differently if he sees something.   

You won't hear coaches discuss this part either because that's the nuts and bolts of the strategy and coaches just feed vanilla to the press.  

Lorenzo Alexander was a good football player, but he has an elite football intelligence, from the years of playing and natural aptitude for the game.  That can't be readily replaced even under ideal circumstances.

• Like (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, Penfield45 said:

Our coaching staff has shown multiple times they are not good enough to turn us into an elite NFL team. We will forever be a meddling team who sneaks into the playoffs or wins the division and exits in the 1st round, like the Bengals with Marvin Lewis. We are stuck with McD for a while so might as well see what happens and hope Allen turns into a top 5 QB 

This might be the worst take I've ever seen on a football team🤣

• Haha (+1) 1