Ok This Dolphins talk is getting out of hand.

Protocal69

40 minutes ago, Kwai San said:

Sweet baby jesus....that there is sum fuzzy math.

It's actually an in depth explanation of something you should be able to do in your head since like the 4th grade. Just saying. Why I am even having to explain this is beyond me.

Edited by matter2003

12 minutes ago, QLBillsFan said:

So the Bills have played great then so so for a few weeks. You imply that the last three weeks of play by the Dolphins is going to continue. No doubt no question. And the Bills meanwhile will continue to play poorly. It’s a long season. The phins have had a nice run. They are playing a tough game at AZ with a rookie QB. It’s as if they are going to sustain this level of play and get all the turnovers. While the Bills who now it appears will have the benefit of two good weather games and a bye are simply not capable of improving. Let’s discuss in four weeks. I’m thinking by your assessment the Dolphins will be in first place by then. 

The Bills have not played "great" at any point this season.  Certainly not for a full 4 quarters on both sides of the ball.

Only one of their wins (Week 1 against the Jets) was by more than a single score.

Their offense played great the first 3-4 games, and has been average (at best) ever since.  The passing game is trending in the wrong direction, by virtually every metric.  That includes Josh Allen and the wide receivers.

Their defense has been dreadful, outside of maybe a few quarters.  The first half of the first Jets game.  The 4th quarter of the Raiders game.  The second half of the second Jets game.  The first half of the Patriots game.  Out of the 32 quarters they have played, the defense has been terrible in about 25 of them.

I would like to believe they can improve.  But we are now at the midpoint of the season.  Time is running out.  The Bills look like a team with an average offense and a bad defense, which has been fortunate enough to get some lucky calls (Rams) and well-timed turnovers (Raiders, Patriots).  They have also played the Jets twice already.  All signs are pointing towards a VERY ugly second half for this team.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MJS said:

Well that's pretty silly. If you add 1.5 wins to the Dolphins we are still .5 wins ahead of them.

It should be simple. We are 2 wins ahead of them. Period. And we have the tie breaker since we beat them.

Except it isn't that simple.  Because they have an extra game in hand that could either be a loss or a win. Which means that when they do play it, they will either be 1 full game behind or 2 full games behind. But until then it is an unknown so it is counted as a half game since it could go either way.  Do you never look at baseball standings?  This is beyond common sense, I just don't understand why this concept seems to be so hard for people to get.

3 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

The Bills have not played "great" at any point this season.  Certainly not for a full 4 quarters on both sides of the ball.

Only one of their wins (Week 1 against the Jets) was by more than a single score.

Their offense played great the first 3-4 games, and has been average (at best) ever since.  The passing game is trending in the wrong direction, by virtually every metric.  That includes Josh Allen and the wide receivers.

Their defense has been dreadful, outside of maybe a few quarters.  The first half of the first Jets game.  The 4th quarter of the Raiders game.  The second half of the second Jets game.  The first half of the Patriots game.  Out of the 32 quarters they have played, the defense has been terrible in about 25 of them.

I would like to believe they can improve.  But we are now at the midpoint of the season.  Time is running out.  The Bills look like a team with an average offense and a bad defense, which has been fortunate enough to get some lucky calls (Rams) and well-timed turnovers (Raiders, Patriots).  They have also played the Jets twice already.  All signs are pointing towards a VERY ugly second half for this team.

How many teams have played "great" on both sides of the ball for 4 quarters this year?  I am not sure even the Steelers would claim that. Their offense has struggled at times quite a bit. Have the Seahawks?  Their defense is among the worst in the NFL.

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, HT02 said:

You just knew this was coming, guys like this write this for the reactions'

Actually, the story of the up-and-coming Dolphins is going to be one of the more riveting things to follow in the league this year, especially as Bills fans.

Our second meeting could be quite a matchup with some big implications.  

8 hours ago, Gambit said:

That bolded part hurts. Fitz didn't deserve to be benched when he was playing well. I hope the Phish regret it when it's all said and done. 

You think the Fins care? They need to see if Tua is a viable franchise QB because they have a rare opportunity to use another team's high draft pick they got in a trade to potentially pick another, better one if they need to. Those opportunities almost never come around and it is very smart for the Fins to be exploring it.

33 minutes ago, High Football IQ said:

All I'm saying is that the the available data right now points to the Dolphins being the better team (at present) despite the respective win/loss records and division standings. And yes if the current trends hold up the Dolphins will be in first and sole possession of the division in the next month.

Of course this doesn't mean it's set and stone and will hold, the Bills very well may start to player better and the Dolphins could be peaking....but again the bigger concerns at present are:

1) Common opponent performance - The Dolphins beat the Jets 24-0 without doing much of anything in the 2nd half and the next week we were trailing into the 2nd half against the same Jets team and only won 18-10. We beat the Rams 35-32 on a questionable 4th down PI call. Where the Dolphins dominated in a game that was over at halftime.

2) Week 2 deep dive - take nothing away from Josh Allen, but it took a career 400+ yard game and recovering an onside kick to beat the Dolphins in week 2. Odds say that under the same circumstances we lose that same game 9 out of 10 times because of how rare it is for any QB to post those kind of numbers.

Yes this is a hated division rival but there's nothing wrong with being unbiased and saying that right now they are the better team in a week to week NFL league. The good news is we don't have to play them again until the season finale which very well could be for the division title or a win and get in WC spot for each respective team.

How do injuries factor into your season long view of the Bills and Phins? IIRC, the Fins only had a backup corner out in that Rams game. In contrast this Bills team has been nailed with injuries since game one. 

10 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

To be fair, Jared Goff didn't lose it alone.  He had help from his ST unit and his OL

True, but the bottom line is that the Rams had a bad game. I think the Dolphins are pretty good, and I always strongly disagreed with how they were being dismissed early in the year, but they aren't division challengers quite yet.

3 minutes ago, Penfield45 said:

Dolphins have a much easier last half of the season compared to us. they could easily get 9 wins from that 

They have 5 games I where I would expect them to be dogs (Chiefs, Bills, Pats, Raiders, Cardinals) and a few games that will be very tough (Broncos, Chargers, Bengals). I see only one game where I'd feel comfortable betting them to win, against the Jets.

I swear, if the situation was reversed and the scrappy 4-3 Bills were looking up at the 6-2 Dolphins, there might actually be more optimism about the Bills around here. Forever loving the underdog.

Edited by Nelius

28 minutes ago, High Football IQ said:

Jet's have lost 2 games against the Bills by 10 and 8 points. They also lost to the Broncos by 9 points

In all other games they have lost by an average margin of 20+ points.

This is why IMO there still isn't enough of a spotlight on this coaching staff as to why they can never comfortably beat an inferior NFL opponent, let alone win in blowout fashion like all 4 of the Dolphins wins have been this year.

You don't get style points in the NFL. Only a W or an L. That only matters for people's opinions.

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, High Football IQ said:

All I'm saying is that the the available data right now points to the Dolphins being the better team (at present) despite the respective win/loss records and division standings.

This is just an amazingly not high football iq sentence.

The Bills are 6-2 and have a head to head win against the 4-3 Dolphins.

Win/Loss record and division standings are literally the only data that matters.

• Like (+1) 2

57 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

It's actually an in depth explanation of something you should be able to do in your head since like the 4th grade. Just saying. Why I am even having to explain this is beyond me.

Oh I understand the math aspect......still 4-0 in the division versus 1-3?????  I'll concede you the 1.5 games based on the 4th grade math - feel pretty superior now don'tcha?

I'm going to throw out all of these insane predictions with the caveat that I could be completely wrong.

Would love to see all of those W/L projections, IQ. Oh there we go. Hmm yes, 11 wins for the Fins and 8 for the Bills, seems likely.

Edited by Nelius

8 minutes ago, High Football IQ said:

Yes it does at present, but again it may be a different story at the end of the season based on the final W/L projections I have for each team respectively based on remaining schedules which is probably 8/9 max for the Bills and 10/11 max for the Dolphins.

Can we get a breakdown of these 11 Dolphins wins?

10 minutes ago, High Football IQ said:

Yes it does at present, but again it may be a different story at the end of the season based on the final W/L projections I have for each team respectively based on remaining schedules which is probably 8/9 max for the Bills and 10/11 max for the Dolphins.

Please put your projections on paper for us...