NFL Trade Deadline Primer update on page 15

MAJBobby

8 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I loved the Knox pick and I have really wanted him to turn a corner.  He definitely has talent - especially making difficult catches and he's shown the ability to be a wrecking machine after the catch.  But his dropsies are a problem and I am concerned that he has not shown any improvement yet.

I would love to keep him and love for him to get better.  I'm just skeptical at this point.

I understand that. Let's remember that Knox has only been in the league for one+ seasons, and he's missed a number of games this year.

• Thank you (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

I find really interesting that we have problems to make any move due to cap space. I checked sportrac and saw contracts we have but it is still weird that we don't have any cap space even though we don't have single player over 15m cap hit. It makes me wonder what we are going to do when Tre's, Dawkins' and Allen's contracts start counting.

On a positive note, Edmunds is trying to save us from cap hell this season :)

Most recall entering free agency we had tons of room. That Beane had done an amazing job clearing up cap space. Here is what happened:

Addison $10M

Butler $7.5M

Jefferson $7M

Klein $6M

Norman $6M

That is close to $40M...

Just now, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

I said it yesterday and I'll say it again, it will be devastating if he doesn't make something happen. The players know they're short and need help. The fans know it. And, I suspect the coaches know it.

They at least need some depth at LB and DT. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

I said it yesterday and I'll say it again, it will be devastating if he doesn't make something happen. The players know they're short and need help. The fans know it. And, I suspect the coaches know it.

Gotta have a dance partner 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, ngbills said:

Most recall entering free agency we had tons of room. That Beane had done an amazing job clearing up cap space. Here is what happened:

Addison $10M

Butler $7.5M

Jefferson $7M

Klein $6M

Norman $6M

That is close to $40M...

Gotta remember it is all about structure though.  Nothing there long term to kill us for years to come. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Addison $10M

Butler $7.5M

Jefferson $7M

Klein $6M

Norman $6M

That is close to $40M...

Let's also remember that Beane gives out a lot of front loaded contracts. I highly doubt that Beane put us in a position to be in Cap Hell.

5 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

Gotta remember it is all about structure though.  Nothing there long term to kill us for years to come. 

2 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

Let's also remember that Beane gives out a lot of front loaded contracts. I highly doubt that Beane put us in a position to be in Cap Hell.

True. Just sucks we need some help now and seemingly are limited by some overly paid and underproducing contracts and mostly to ex-panthers. 

3 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Why would you trade for a guy that’s hurt tho? If that’s the case then let’s make Ertz happen

Because he isn't going to be hurt forever.  And an Injury can be used to as a bargaining chip to lower compensation.

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

Random one.   Do we take a page from bellicheats book and trade Hyde?  Hes clearly lost a little but is still perceived as a top safety.  Patriots have been great at shedding these types of players over the years. 

They usually had someone to slot in that could perform at or near the level of the vet being traded. Marlowe played well, but I don’t trust him, and we have little behind that. Besides, our defense is in dire need of leadership just now.

19 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

I would be surprised if that was the sticking point 

It sounds like cap space is a huge sticking point though........which is I believe what the OP meant.

Not going to get much done for 5th-7th round picks if you want the other team to eat $3.5M of some expiring contract as well.

Beane has been clumsy and careless with cap space.........$3M too much here,  $5M too much there..........and that certainly limited what he could do now because the big motivation to trade most of these players is to save money and create cap space.

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

Devastating?   It’s a game.  There is nothing devastating about it. 

19 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

It sounds like cap space is a huge sticking point though........which is I believe what the OP meant.

Not going to get much done for 5th-7th round picks if you want the other team to eat $3.5M of some expiring contract as well.

Beane has been clumsy and careless with cap space.........$3M too much here,  $5M too much there..........and that certainly limited what he could do now because the big motivation to trade most of these players is to save money and create cap space.

While you’re correct about the cap situation, I’m fairly confident that they could get the numbers to work if they could acquire the player(s) they’re after.

I would be very surprised if that happens at this point.

• Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Addison $10M

Butler $7.5M

Jefferson $7M

Klein $6M

Norman $6M

That is close to $40M...

Thanks to the contract structure, Beane made sure he can continue to enter free agency with a decent amount of coin. The cap really never matters. It’s all about contract structure. Beane doesn’t often commit himself long term for reasons such as these. Free agency is full of hits and misses, you want to be able to walk away from the misses.