Are the Bills a very good team??? This is where the issue is

37 minutes ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

6-2 record masks a more middle of the pack team.

offense points per game have dropped from 30 in games 1-4 to 19 in games 5-8.

I guess it comes down to...and forget the record...

Do they look to be...

Improving...Middling...Regressing?

Offense - Regressing

Defense - Middling

Special Teams - Middling

Personally ranking them in AFC I would say...6th.

This is my issue at the moment. I get that teams are adjusting but we have too much firepower on the offensive side of the ball to be back to putting up last years average weeks in a row. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, teef said:

it's very iffy.  a minimum we've seen what the offense can do.  i have a feeling this defense will be our issue all year, but this offense, especially if the run game can it going, could return to form...could.  there's a ton of season left.  doesn't it feel like opening day was forever ago?

Agree. 

It just hasn't looked as easy since the Raiders game. 

Right now it's been hard to get the ball down the field. Diggs' average has come down, Gabe Davis gets an isolated TD shot once a game, the Bills are still getting nothing from the Tight End position, and now it looks Moss is coming on and so he starts commanding more touches. 

To get it cranked back up, they're going to need John Brown to get deep again, and start running Diggs underneath. 

I think Beane should look for a Tight End, we can't keep waiting for Dawson Knox to become reliable. 

And get a linebacker please. Drafted one in 2019 and he's gone, drafted none in 2020 and that lack of depth shows. AJ Klein has not worked. 

4 minutes ago, Mango said:

This is my issue at the moment. I get that teams are adjusting but we have too much firepower on the offensive side of the ball to be back to putting up last years average weeks in a row. 

Well look at the Chargers. 

They have a great possession WR in Keenan Allen, a sporadic #2 jumpball WR in Williams, an okay Tight End in Henry, and then guys filling in for Ekeler.

With a rookie QB, they're putting up 27 a game. 

So, I'm with you, the Bills have enough to start getting back over that 25 point per game mark. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Billsfan1972 said:

I think they are a very good team.  That is what I saw from the offense weeks 1-4.  I expected improvement on the D.

This is exactly why I (and others) post what I do, because I think this is the Bills year to go 11-5 (or 12-4).

But maybe I'm not right & this is an average team playing above their heads and the coaching staff doing a great job and maximizing their potential.  

Seems anytime people post expecting more, they are drowned out by 6-2 and that they've met or exceeded expectations.

BTW I'd much rather be right about them being a very good teram, then coaching being responsible for taking an again average to below average team to a better record then their personal befits. 

You got it wrong with the coaching staff is doing a great job part.

Coaching staff is doing a horrid job. From letting AJ Klein trot out on the field every Sunday, to conservative piss poor game day decisions by McClappy, the list goes on.

I would not say we are a "very good" team.  When you look at scoring defense, pts allowed, net points, etc. it says we shouldn't be .500

Realistically, we should win the division, be favored to win at home in the 1st round and after that, we'll get beat by a better team or crushed by a legitimate SB contender like KC.  

We're not elite or knocking on the door, lets keep it real.  If we win a playoff game, get some solid new talent on Defense in the off-season, maybe with fans in the stadium we get a legit homefield advantage?  Maybe we get there next year, but not this year.

1 hour ago, Billsfan1972 said:

I think they are a very good team.  That is what I saw from the offense weeks 1-4.  I expected improvement on the D.

This is exactly why I (and others) post what I do, because I think this is the Bills year to go 11-5 (or 12-4).

But maybe I'm not right & this is an average team playing above their heads and the coaching staff doing a great job and maximizing their potential.  

Seems anytime people post expecting more, they are drowned out by 6-2 and that they've met or exceeded expectations.

BTW I'd much rather be right about them being a very good teram, then coaching being responsible for taking an again average to below average team to a better record then their personal befits.

On the philosophy "you are what your record says you are":  We're #3 in the conference and #4 in the league, with 2 of the teams ahead of us on win % having played 1 less game.

That makes the Bills a very good, but not elite, team at this point. 

The defense is concerning, because I'm not sure, realistically, how it can be addressed during the season.  We seem to have huge gaps at DL and LB.

The one-dimensionality of the offense was concerning but that seems on the road to being addressed.

16 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Yup.  I was going to call each of them out but decided to not get banned.  

its as if COVID brought these virus-like posters with it.  Maybe they were created in China.  It feels like when BBMB was shut down and we were infested with the worst of the worst from bbmb.  Luckily, most didn’t last long and the ones that stuck around turned out to be valuable members.  Hopefully something is done soon or I’ll be getting banned for life.  They don’t bring anything positive to the community. Literally, nothing

Should I name the "Pom Pom" Brigade,  going on about 6-2 and that McD is getting everything he can out of this group (yes hyperbole & sarcasm).

Again I think this is a very good team who has regressed on Offense and the Defense no where near what people thought they were. 

7 minutes ago, McBean said:

You got it wrong with the coaching staff is doing a great job part.

Coaching staff is doing a horrid job. From letting AJ Klein trot out on the field every Sunday, to conservative piss poor game day decisions by McClappy, the list goes on.

We can only play the healthy players we have.  Who are the coaches supposed to play ahead of AJ Klein?

12 minutes ago, Gene1973 said:

So this is a forum rule, homer posts only?

When the Bills win a SuperBowl I will bring some positivity, I promise.

And saying Allen is a keeper is not positive?

Bringing something positive doesn’t mean making positive posts.  You won’t get it.  No use trying to explain. 

The Bills are okay, but I think we're a ways off competing with teams in the AFC like Pittsburgh, Kansas City, Baltimore and Tennessee. 

We'll win the division and probably win 10 or 11 games in the regular season, but I still don't see this team doing anything in the playoffs because the top AFC teams are much better than us.

5 minutes ago, Gene1973 said:

Oh, so you're saying be happy no matter what the team does, never criticize or question anything. That's not real life though...

These are the same people who will tell you that a 6-3 win is a fun exciting game & were entertained because the Bills won.

Can not be negative or be debate concerns when it comes to the Bills after a victory.

For those who have suggested we are not a "very good team"...

It's worth noting that Billsfan1972 seemingly limited the scope of that rating to the first 4 games of the season.  Maybe I'm wrong and he can clarify.  

I think we all would agree they were a "very good team" in Weeks 1-4.  

If we are looking at the season as a whole, 1-8, I like the word "solid" someone used is appropriate; definitely not "very good."

Someone suggested 6th best team in AFC; that seems fair.

18 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Should I name the "Pom Pom" Brigade,  going on about 6-2 and that McD is getting everything he can out of this group (yes hyperbole & sarcasm).

Again I think this is a very good team who has regressed on Offense and the Defense no where near what people thought they were. 

Did the Titans regress on offense and defense against the Bengals ? Any given week ...

3 hours ago, 34-78-83 said:

Something I learned from watching one of the Steelers SuperBowl runs unfold where they took a wildcard spot and won it all... Each game is its own unique entity. Not a drop of energy by players or game coaches needs to be spent (other then scouts etc.) on any other opponent than the next one on the schedule. Its the "taking it one game a t a time" cliche but it hold so true. Knowing that the Bills have ENOUGH talent overall to at least hang with any team, this approach will give them a chance to beat any team they face.

Yep. All about getting hot at the end, especially this year where home-field advantage is pretty irrelevant. Plenty of time left in the season, I’m very happy with 6-2 right now.

Edited by Rico
Happy not happen
  • Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

For those who have suggested we are not a "very good team"...

It's worth noting that Billsfan1972 seemingly limited the scope of that rating to the first 4 games of the season.  Maybe I'm wrong and he can clarify.  

I think we all would agree they were a "very good team" in Weeks 1-4.  

If we are looking at the season as a whole, 1-8, I like the word "solid" someone used is appropriate; definitely not "very good."

Someone suggested 6th best team in AFC; that seems fair.

I've always said I think the Bills offense is much better and has been held back by coaching and bad play calling.  I have been a huge Allen fan and saw all the potential and continually blamed it on "play close to the vest" McD for frankly holding him and Bills offense back.

The last 4 weeks are disconcerting and the Offense has regressed.  No stretching the field and trying to manage the game vs. asserting themselves.

9 minutes ago, Penfield45 said:

I’d like to know where the hell you think this team is getting 12 or 11 wins from 

And since I am so negative, I'll tell you.....  NE, Miami, Denver, Seattle or Arizona, LAC, SF.

I am a Bills fan & an optimist.

1 hour ago, Kwai San said:

I think the team that seemingly no one discusses is Pitt.  As much as I am NOT a Squealers fan they are looking dang good and worry me more than anyone left on the Bills remaining sched.  Yes the Hawks, Cards and Niners are going to be a HUGE test but that Pitt game is gonna be a men against boys game if it were played this week.  That being said - anything can happen.

I think the Bills are a slightly above average team right now still trying to figger itself out.  The next 8 games are going to be a huge challenge but we all knew this before they even blew the first whistle.

Go Bills!!

The Steelers look like the best team in the NFL right now.   Their defense is lights-out, great at all areas (Fitzpatrick at safety, Watt and Hawyard on DL/LB) and the offense can beat you running, passing, etc.  

• Like (+1) 1