Missed Tackles Issue Against Pats = Scheme Improvement?

HardyBoy

18 minutes ago, dneveu said:

I'd prefer dodson.  I know what Lee is.  He's slower to diagnose plays than edmunds, softer than klein.  He's not going to be in position to make plays, and he's not a particularly good tackler.  He's fast though.. which helps i guess?

In a blitzing/coverage role, I'm thinking that will help.

1 minute ago, dneveu said:

Or Marlowe.  Can move hyde in there as a NB and give them some new looks.  I dunno.  Taron's just struggling all over, tackling, coverage, everywhere.

Yeah I thought Marlowe played well at Safety.  I wonder if he had Hydes responsibilities in setting the backfield or if that was transferred to Poyer this week.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, LeGOATski said:

What constitutes "being out of the NFL for a while?"

Didn't he simply serve a 4 game suspension?

Oh I guess so...he remained unsigned through the offseason and into this season, so I guess it has been 4 game suspension and then 4 more

Just now, matter2003 said:

Oh I guess so...he remained unsigned through the offseason and into this season, so I guess it has been 4 game suspension and then 4 more

He had 2.  One for the last 4 games of 2018, and one for the first 4 games of 2020.  Wikipedia has the 2018 one as PEDs, but the NFL article says substances of abuse.  They are no longer suspending players for the substance abuse ones this year so I have no idea what the 2020 one was for.  Probably refused/missed a piss test if I had to guess.

Bad tackling has been a problem in most games this year.  There are several reasons like slow reaction to the play, failure to breakdown into a good tackling position, trying to tackle with their head behind the runner, arm tackling, trying to strip the ball instead of bringing the runner down, failure to wrap up, taking a bad angle to the runner, and tackling too high.  The best defenses limit the number of missed tackles.  This week, the Bills missed tackles on various runners that would have resulted in tackles for a loss.  The one that was the worst was Burkhead on third down that resulted in a first down (Klein missed him).   They really need to clean this up.

3 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Under McDermott this team has consistently been one of the worst tackling teams in the league..........obviously we haven't seen any improvement in that this year.

It hasn't stopped them from at times being a good defense but on some days it gets really ugly.

It might be that McDermott has to earn his stripes in the playoffs to get players to put their bodies on the line more.........a guy like Belichick gets a lot more investment from defensive players in this regard because I think they have known the pain will yield results.........or at least they knew it always did against the McDermott Bills until yesterday(which is why it was an important win regardless of how).

I think that's kind of my point (your first paragraph), you need to be in the right place scheme wise in order to miss a tackle. I don't remember many players even having a legit shot at a tackle for a loss much this season until yesterday, and maybe the second half last week against the Jets.

If we are talking about legit missed tackles for losses (more than arm tackles where the guy is schemed out of the play but sticks his arm in the gap), then the defense has made a huge step forward. Keep getting players in position to make those tackles and they'll make enough of them to start forcing third and long and then you can get creative with your coverage and get some more interceptions and sacks. The Pats had a bunch of 3rd and longs.

Anyway, I know it's easy to look at outcomes and see the continuation of the same thing, but hopefully the defense has rounded the corner and are about to tighten up.

2 hours ago, Azucho98 said:

I didn't think I would ever see another "Eddie Robinson" tackler but Klein is really close. He looks totally lost out there.

The play for me was toward the end of the game, I think it was 3rd and 1 or 2 for the Pats in our end. A stop would make the Pats**** have to think about either going for it or take the FG. So on 3rd down they hand it to Burkhead running left, and Klein fires into the backfield...only to completely miss him and give him the edge. First down.

28 minutes ago, HardyBoy said:

I think that's kind of my point (your first paragraph), you need to be in the right place scheme wise in order to miss a tackle. I don't remember many players even having a legit shot at a tackle for a loss much this season until yesterday, and maybe the second half last week against the Jets.

If we are talking about legit missed tackles for losses (more than arm tackles where the guy is schemed out of the play but sticks his arm in the gap), then the defense has made a huge step forward. Keep getting players in position to make those tackles and they'll make enough of them to start forcing third and long and then you can get creative with your coverage and get some more interceptions and sacks. The Pats had a bunch of 3rd and longs.

Anyway, I know it's easy to look at outcomes and see the continuation of the same thing, but hopefully the defense has rounded the corner and are about to tighten up.

Could be.........but also could be that they had 9 guys within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage a lot and there was just a lot more traffic and made for closer plays as the Pats ran right into it.

There were too many plays where the Pats passed and receivers were left "college open".........but that was the trade-off they were making.

And still they allowed like 6 ypc and seemed poised to give up a walk in, winning TD if Cam hadn't fumbled.

That one helps make up for the Leodis McKelvin kick return fiasco game in NE years ago so I will take it.   Gotta' get lucky occasionally.

I do expect them to start playing better later in the season.........that might be wishful thinking with all of the injuries........but I think we have seen stretches where this team makes some business decisions defensively for stretches and they've been in one of those.    

On 11/2/2020 at 2:20 PM, Rubes said:

The play for me was toward the end of the game, I think it was 3rd and 1 or 2 for the Pats in our end. A stop would make the Pats**** have to think about either going for it or take the FG. So on 3rd down they hand it to Burkhead running left, and Klein fires into the backfield...only to completely miss him and give him the edge. First down.

Yup...the dude is hot garbage.  Put anyone else in there at this point.  Can't get much worse.