All wins are ugly in this league

Mikie2times

We are seeing very negative threads following Bills wins.  

I'm sure most on here can recall a hell of a lot of games the past 20 years we lost by not executing in small areas, by a small margins of defeat, failing on the last drive, etc.... MOST the games in the last 20 years went that way. If you paid close attention to the league the past 20 years you would notice most NFL games go that way and a higher % of divisional games. It is VERY unusual to have an NFL game with a line greater than a margin of 7. All of them are supposed to be close.   

We were excellent at not winning close games for 20 years and now we are becoming excellent at winning them. For all but a couple of teams each year that is the definition of success and we are getting consistent in that definition. We aren't the Chiefs, who this year really are the only world beaters. Nobody here would ever try and claim we are the Chiefs. If, when, until, we become a team of that caliber, for the most part, they all will all be ugly. As a good team, we will win most. We will get in the playoffs and once you do that you can keep advancing and you hope to get positioned to play a world beater and be at your best.  

On a positive note......

We made the playoffs 2 of the the last 3 seasons, certainly looks like it will be 3 of 4.

Currently a heavy favorite to host the first Bills playoff game in 25 years even though nobody will be able to attend it (sad face emoji).

From all appearances, we have our Franchise QB.

Beane is not as good as you think he is. He is very good, but some of you act as if he's not going to miss on FA's or draft picks. More a result of our own fan base turning him into a deity but that's not exactl fair. He's accomplished more than any GM since Bill Polian. We have no reason to not give him the benefit of the doubt along with McDermott. We can also criticize as we would anybody else. Just do yourself a favor, don't expect either to be perfect and don't expect us to roll teams. Even bad ones. That's just not where we are at nor how the NFL works.

HUGE win today, another example of one we would have lost 100 out of 100 times the last 20 years, not anymore. 

GO BILLS!  

Edited by KzooMike
  • Like (+1) 20
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 5

2 minutes ago, KzooMike said:

We are seeing very negative threads following Bills wins.  

I'm sure most on here can recall a hell of a lot of games the past 20 years we lost by not executing in small areas, by a small margins of defeat, failing on the last drive, etc.... MOST the games in the last 20 years went that way. If you paid close attention to the league the past 20 years you would notice most NFL games go that way and a higher % of divisional games. It is VERY unusual to have an NFL game with a line greater than a margin of 7. All of them are supposed to be close.   

We were excellent at not winning close games for 20 years and now we are becoming excellent at winning them. For all but a couple of teams each year that is the definition of success and we are getting consistent in that definition. We aren't the Chiefs, who this year really are the only world beaters. Nobody here would ever try and claim we are the Chiefs. If, when, until, we become a team of that caliber, for the most part, they all will all be ugly. As a good team, we will win most. We will get in the playoffs and once you do that you can keep advancing and you hope to get positioned to play a world beater and be at your best.  

On a positive note......

We made the playoffs 2 of the the last 3 seasons, certainly looks like it will be 3 of 4.

Currently a heavy favorite to host the first Bills playoff game in 25 years even though nobody will be able to attend it (sad face emoji).

From all appearances, we have our Franchise QB.

Beane is not as good as you think he is. He is very good, but some of you act as if he's not going to miss on FA's or draft picks. More a result of our own fan base turning him into a deity but that's not exactl fair. He's accomplished more than any GM since Bill Polian. We have no reason to not give him the benefit of the doubt along with McDermott. We can also criticize as we would anybody else. Just do yourself a favor, don't expect either to be perfect and don't expect us to roll teams. Even bad ones. That's just not where we are at nor how the NFL works.

HUGE win today, another example of one we would have lost 100 or 100 times the last 20 years, but not anymore. 

GO BILLS!  

Not convinced. Was almost a believer after the first quarter of the season, but his fall off since then has been drastic in every passing metric. 

We aren't going anywhere with the defense not playing as well as they used to and an offense that sporadic and inconsistent. 

I hope they get it together or we are going to see a few more blow outs this year. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 years into a regime fans expect the team to not be winning by using their face to stop punches.

They expect a contender and playing this way they sure don't seem like it right now.

The reality is that McDermott and Beane have been the LUCKIEST regime since Polian.    By a lot.

Be it easy schedules or having the opportunity to draft the last two NFL MVP's(though they ultimately chose neither)...........the regime have had a lot of breaks so it's concerning that their roster doesn't look better and that they aren't executing better on both sides of the ball.

The upside is that things can change..........maybe they find their stride and start playing better team defense and John Brown gets healthy and they get their passing game going again or maybe they make some trades or moves..........but I totally understand the frustration even if I think today's win was very important.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, TwistofFate said:

Not convinced. Was almost a believer after the first quarter of the season, but his fall off since then has been drastic in every passing metric. 

We aren't going anywhere with the defense not playing as well as they used to and an offense that sporadic and inconsistent. 

I hope they get it together or we are going to see a few more blow outs this year. 

We're going nowhere? We're 6-2, in first place in the division (having gone 4-0 in the division so far), and are on our way to a home playoff game.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, I am the egg man said:

One stat that defies logic of this Bills 6-2 team is that less points for than against.

Go Bills.

Its simple, getting blown out by true contenders, and the inability to truly put weaker teams away. ie-- win close games, and suffer blowouts. its strange but the bills are ALWAYS good for a blowout loss to a team or two every year

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, I am the egg man said:

One stat that defies logic of this Bills 6-2 team is that less points for than against.

Go Bills.

And we sucked against DVOA last year and do again this year. Again, we aren’t a top 2–3 team, we aren’t going to blow teams out and progression in this league is not linear. It never is. If we want to B word and moan after we win every close one all we will be doing is bitching all year as we make our way to the first home playoff game in 25 years. We have sucked for two decades, you would think by now we would have learned a degree of respect and patience towards the football gods.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, TwistofFate said:

There isn't one Bills fan on this planet who wasn't preparing for a loss in those last 40 seconds.  We couldn't stop anything. We are playing badly these last 4 weeks and fans have every right to be concerned. Yes I'm grateful for a win and a 6-2 record. But today was the first time in nearly 50 years of watching Bills games where the W felt off? The next 5 games will prove everything. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

1 hour ago, TwistofFate said:

Not only does Josh Allen remain a total enigma, but I'm surprised how many people are signing up for another one and done playoff appearance, which this team has written all over it.

I'm always amazed at how low Bills fans' expectations are.

49 minutes ago, KzooMike said:

And we sucked against DVOA last year and do again this year. Again, we aren’t a top 2–3 team, we aren’t going to blow teams out and progression in this league is not linear. It never is. If we want to B word and moan after we win every close one all we will be doing is bitching all year as we make our way to the first home playoff game in 25 years. We have sucked for two decades, you would think by now we would have learned a degree of respect and patience towards the football gods.

There are no football gods.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

It was still Bill "GOAT" Belichick on the sidelines over there.  I don't care how many guys were out on the Patriots.  It was never a given that we were going to run away w/ this one, no matter how good we're supposed to be.

Given the conditions, the fact that we put up 24 is noteworthy.  The offense did its job.

The D had an outstanding 1st half, and made the big play when it counted in the 2nd.

I don't really get the hand-wringing.  Beating THAT team in a crucial division game, to get to 6-2 and a commanding division lead?  That can't possibly be ugly. That's a beautiful thing.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

7 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Not only does Josh Allen remain a total enigma, but I'm surprised how many people are signing up for another one and done playoff appearance, which this team has written all over it.

I'm always amazed at how low Bills fans' expectations are.

There are no football gods.

Weren’t you encouraged to leave and start a new life? This one obviously doesn’t suit you.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Chandler#81 said:

Oh, how very little you know -as evidenced every time you type.

Hey!  How about leaving me the F. alone and stop harassing me, you creep.

Who moderates the moderators around here? You're freaking horrid at your job.

Edited by Nextmanup

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

Hey!  How about leaving me the F. alone and stop harassing me, you creep.

Who moderates the moderators around here? You're freaking horrid at your job.

You’re a horrid poster. I’d absolutely prefer to leave you alone but your ever negative, bs posting requires attention. 

Any of this getting through to you? Anything at all??

• Thank you (+1) 1

The confident "one and done" playoff team touts are lazy. This team has already beat the Raiders and Dolphins this year. Two teams currently looking like playoff bubble teams. The type that would have a good shot to play a division winning #3 seed.

Also, despite an all-world defensive roster, the Ravens have been looking pretty beatable lately. Signed, frustrated Lamar Jackson fantasy owner.

Edited by Nelius
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

3 hours ago, KzooMike said:

All wins are ugly in this league

No, not hardly all of 'em. What part of the 35 - 9 Chiefs win over the Jets was ugly for the Chiefs?

Having said that, you're right that this was a big win and a nice win. The Bills haven't managed a lot of timely last-minute wins on forced turnovers at the last minute against the Pats.

I was smiling and screaming "Zimmer!!" for about ten minutes after.

3 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

4 years into a regime fans expect the team to not be winning by using their face to stop punches.

They expect a contender and playing this way they sure don't seem like it right now.

The reality is that McDermott and Beane have been the LUCKIEST regime since Polian.    By a lot.

Luckiest regime since Polian? Fair enough.

Thing is, you make your own luck. And they've made theirs. Luck is the residue of design. Luck is the intersection of preparation and opportunity. And all the other quotations about luck. All true.

Great win.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Nelius said:

The confident "one and done" playoff team touts are lazy. This team has already beat the Raiders and Dolphins this year. Two teams currently looking like playoff bubble teams. The type that would have a good shot to play a division winning #3 seed.

Also, despite an all-world defensive roster, the Ravens have been looking pretty beatable lately. Signed, frustrated Lamar Jackson fantasy owner.

My condolences to your fantasy team, lol.

Naw but seriously, the mere fact that we sit at 4-0 in the division right now gives me a good level of confidence that we'll win the division.  Anything can happen between now and then, and if I had to make a guess at our seed, optimistically I could see us with the #3 seed.  But we have alot of work to do defense-wise.  I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm happy I'm able to, I'm not worried at all about our offense.  While Allen's numbers have dipped since his MVP-worthy first four games, to me he's still playing excellent football, making smart decisions with the football, having a much better feel for when to tuck it and run vs checking to his 2nd, 3rd, and 4th options.  IMO today, the wind didn't seem to bother his throws at all.  The majority of his passes were crisp and on the money, and as much as I love Davis, he absolutely should've had that touchdown catch to seal the game.  I mean he's made several veteran-like catches this year, that ball should've been an easy TD for him.  And to see our running game show up today, against a team who's strength was run defense, well that was just awesome.  Feliciano deserves much credit for that.  I pray Morse can recover from that concussion, because I'd much rather prefer Feliciano at guard then center.

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

There isn't one Bills fan on this planet who wasn't preparing for a loss in those last 40 seconds.  We couldn't stop anything. We are playing badly these last 4 weeks and fans have every right to be concerned. Yes I'm grateful for a win and a 6-2 record. But today was the first time in nearly 50 years of watching Bills games where the W felt off? The next 5 games will prove everything. 

Nonsense. I'm one and I'm sure there are thousands and thousands of others.

I was aware there was certainly a chance but also very very aware it wasn't the only possibility.