I really hope Mitch Morse retires.

42 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Not that it’s a huge deal, and it certainly shouldn’t affect his decision, but if he has to retire due to injury, that would presumably activate another $1.3M in guaranteed salary for 2021 (that amount is guaranteed for injury only), which means that his dead money hit would increase from $5.5M to $6.8M. The team would still save ~$3.5M off the current hit.

The OL situation will be very interesting moving into 2021. Of the current starters, only Dawkins, Ford, and Morse are under contract. Winters is the only backup returning. I believe Bates is a RFA. Nsekhe, Mongo, and Williams are UFAs. Not good considering that the cap is going to drop.

If he is cleared from concussion protocol then retires, my understanding is the Bills can ask for the return of his pro-rated bonus.

Frankly I think it looks bad for him to continue to play.  The blow(s) he sustained was a pretty typical "could happen every play" kind of thing, nothing out-of-the-way.

I suppose they won't, but IMO it would serve the Bills well to put him on the 3 week IR immediately and elevate someone. 

Completely agree with OP. With concussions we know with 100% certainty that it becomes easier and easier to suffer one with each successive injury. I think the line for when its time to retire is pretty clear. When it gets to a point that even routine plays are causing trauma, retire. Your brain is telling you that its reached its limit. Morse should retire. It shouldn't even be his decision. Team doctors should stop clearing guys in his situation.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, pigpen65 said:

Completely agree with OP. With concussions we know with 100% certainty that it becomes easier and easier to suffer one with each successive injury. I think the line for when its time to retire is pretty clear. When it gets to a point that even routine plays are causing trauma, retire. Your brain is telling you that its reached its limit. Morse should retire. It shouldn't even be his decision. Team doctors should stop clearing guys in his situation.

Rewatched the helmet contact he took on the play. It was firm but not excessively violent. He went to a knee Immediately. As much as I'd love for Mitch to keep playing, this might be the time to shut it down for his family. 

20 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Rewatched the helmet contact he took on the play. It was firm but not excessively violent. He went to a knee Immediately. As much as I'd love for Mitch to keep playing, this might be the time to shut it down for his family. 

The more concussions one has had, the easier it is to sustain another. It doesn’t, however, make the time to recover any longer necessarily. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

On 11/1/2020 at 4:13 PM, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

It's Mitch's 5th concussion (that we know of).  I'll never forget reading about the last few years of legendary Steeler C Mike Webster's life and it's a fate that no person should go through.  Maybe at this point it will barely make a difference but who knows if walking away right now will be the difference between Mitch living until he's 50 and living until he's 70.

I agree.

It was a known risk bringing him in, and I have been saying that we need to emphasize targeting our next center, because concussions happen more easily and frequently after you have had one or two.

The protocols are better, but after 4 or 5 "known" concussions it would probably be best for Morse to hang up the cleats.

I say this because I actually care about the player, and not because he is a liability on the field; His play all season has been solid.

Just seems like a dude you would like to see be able to have a healthy life after the game.

44 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

The more concussions one has had, the easier it is to sustain another. It doesn’t, however, make the time to recover any longer necessarily. 

Depends...my neurologist told me I’m back to baseline. Then again I had a pretty unique set of circumstances and treatments.

It’s interesting that we are fine with boxers/MMA fighters being concussed constantly for their entire career including sparring/training. THEIR money/health ratio is somehow more appropriate  than NFL players with protective gear, concussion protocols, and who are paid more. 

1 minute ago, benderbender said:

It’s interesting that we are fine with boxers/MMA fighters being concussed constantly for their entire career including sparring/training. THEIR money/health ratio is somehow more appropriate  than NFL players with protective gear, concussion protocols, and who are paid more. 

I personally don't like it in either case, though obviously I respect an individual's right to blaze their own path in life. I enjoy every aspect of football aside from watching guys shave years off their lives knowing what we do now about subconcussive impact.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, benderbender said:

Who's fine with it? Personally I don't think MMA/boxing should exist. It's only legal because they couldn't stop it from happening so at least the guys doing it can be somewhat protected financially etc. In the end it's the participants choice, football, MMA, hockey, whatever.

6 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

If he is cleared from concussion protocol then retires, my understanding is the Bills can ask for the return of his pro-rated bonus.

Frankly I think it looks bad for him to continue to play.  The blow(s) he sustained was a pretty typical "could happen every play" kind of thing, nothing out-of-the-way.

I suppose they won't, but IMO it would serve the Bills well to put him on the 3 week IR immediately and elevate someone. 

You are right that they won’t.   There is zero chance that the Bills would get his prorated signing bonus back after two concussions as a Bill and 5 total.  All he would have to do is claim he’s having headaches or some other concussion related ailment.  Besides, the Bills knew concussions were a big risk with him and signed him knowing that.

Regardless, the Bills need to plan on life after Morse.  Even if he comes back from this, the odds are that it happens again.  We need a long term replacement in place.  At minimum a player we plan to sit next season while he learns the ropes.  Or an outright replacement. 

30 minutes ago, Luka said:

Who's fine with it? Personally I don't think MMA/boxing should exist. It's only legal because they couldn't stop it from happening so at least the guys doing it can be somewhat protected financially etc. In the end it's the participants choice, football, MMA, hockey, whatever.

Don't tell people how to live their life

4 hours ago, benderbender said:

Because fighting isn't a game.

Inflicting head trauma is the objective of fighting.

28 minutes ago, Gene1973 said:

He's not afraid of CTE I guess...

CTE is addressed in the article. 

I think part of why Morse isn’t concerned about CTE is how much he does with screens and listening to his neurologists. Might also be why Mitch takes weeks before he comes back. That conservative approach to reentering active hitting might also be why Mitch isn’t concerned with CTE.

Edited by atlbillsfan1975