I really hope Mitch Morse retires.

It's Mitch's 5th concussion (that we know of).  I'll never forget reading about the last few years of legendary Steeler C Mike Webster's life and it's a fate that no person should go through.  Maybe at this point it will barely make a difference but who knows if walking away right now will be the difference between Mitch living until he's 50 and living until he's 70.

Edited by SageAgainstTheMachine
  • Like (+1) 7
  • Sad 1

A lot of speculation here. There has been a lot of changes to equipment and protocols since the 70’s.   Lots of guys get lots of concussions and are not Webster.   But there are risks for all players not just Morse.    If you feel this way we might as well root to end the nfl for good.   

6 minutes ago, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

It's Mitch's 5th concussion (that we know of).  I'll never forget reading about the last few years of legendary Steeler C Mike Webster's life and it's a fate that no person should go through.  Maybe at this point it will barely make a difference but who knows if walking away right now will be the difference between Mitch living until he's 50 and living until he's 70.

Lot of players have had waaaaaaay more, it’s a bit of a crap shoot it seems. Either way I’m sure Morse and his family have had discussions about this and they’ll do what they think is best. 

• Like (+1) 1

I think this team will likely not have Mitch come back until after the bye at the earliest. Hopefully Ford can come back and fill in at LG. Loved what I saw from Mongo but Mitch being hurt was a real kick in the pants 

Edited by billsfan89
  • Like (+1) 1

That took the sails right out of my wind. I don't think I said 10 words the rest of the game.

I think it also affected the rest of the Bills offense the remainder of the 1st half.

• Like (+1) 3

These days, the least little symptom and a player goes into "the concussion protocol". Doesn't mean you have one, means you might have one. Concussions come in all sorts of severity from very mild to very serious. 10 mild concussions may have very little long term effects, whereas a single serious concussion could end your career.

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

After Allen and Diggs he's probably the most important player on our offense.

Yeah I was thinking the same exact thing to myself when he went out.

5 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

Lot of players have had waaaaaaay more, it’s a bit of a crap shoot it seems. Either way I’m sure Morse and his family have had discussions about this and they’ll do what they think is best. 

We know more about concussions now, and what know is that like any injury a concussion takes time to heal. Mitch likely is going to need at least a month to heal his head. I wouldn't be shocked if he decides to, hang it up after 2020. Maybe because of his contract he tries to play one more year. 

Hoping just for his health this is a "mild" concussion and they put him on the bench for a few weeks and he is good to go. 

14 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

We know more about concussions now, and what know is that like any injury a concussion takes time to heal. Mitch likely is going to need at least a month to heal his head. I wouldn't be shocked if he decides to, hang it up after 2020. Maybe because of his contract he tries to play one more year. 

Hoping just for his health this is a "mild" concussion and they put him on the bench for a few weeks and he is good to go. 

Yeah nobody wants the guy to be messed up. Just saying, that’s really his doctors and families business. Got to think they’ll do what’s best. They have info we’re not gonna see 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Rc2catch said:

Yeah nobody wants the guy to be messed up. Just saying, that’s really his doctors and families business. Got to think they’ll do what’s best. They have info we’re not gonna see 

I do worry that because he is on such a big contract that he pushes himself to play more. I trust him and his doctors to make that decision but we aren't likely to see him until after the bye at the earliest. Then again when Josh was concussed after the first Pats game last year I thought he would miss a game and he didn't. So maybe there is an outside shot we see him sooner.

17 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

Dion Dawkins might argue that point.

That was the next guy I thought about, but with Morse being a couple years older and making all the line calls, I gave him 3rd place. 🤷‍♂️

• Like (+1) 2

30 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

To be fair Morse likely is one of those guys with waaaaay more than 5

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, billsfan89 said:

I do worry that because he is on such a big contract that he pushes himself to play more. I trust him and his doctors to make that decision but we aren't likely to see him until after the bye at the earliest. Then again when Josh was concussed after the first Pats game last year I thought he would miss a game and he didn't. So maybe there is an outside shot we see him sooner.

All depends, he may not have had an actual concussion. Just playing it safe with the protocol and his history maybe. I don’t watch the post game pressers so maybe it’s been confirmed. But I’m sure he sits down with his wife and doctors and weighs his risks. Like you said there’s so much more information available now it should be easier to make decisions.

31 minutes ago, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

There's a lot of stuff that was allowed then, that is not allowed now - butting the center helmet to helmet, smacking the earholes of the helmet with forearms.  Hopefully problems get detected and treated.

I wouldn't blame Morse if he decided to retire, but it should definitely be his decision.

I think someone mentioned he should consider sleeping in a hyperbaric chamber or something like that.  Might be a good notion either way, as well as a change in diet away from the the cakes and cookies he likes to mention in press conferences.

• Like (+1) 3