Beane's construction of this roster

13 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

Two 1st round players, who were supposed to be cornerstones, are holding the team back by not living up to their draft status...fingers crossed they can become game changers...

Ford's nothing special at G and a bust at T  Epenesa I'll give a pass but not even being on the game day actives isnt a great look   They havent exactly landed difference makers lately

2 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Oliver looked like he played with some fire today. I hope this means the knee is healed up finally. 

I thought the whole D played with fire the first half. Which was promising they’ve seemed like they’re just going through the motions this year. Second half, well we all watched. Oliver has a ton of potential, he’s just not ready or might never dominate on an Aaron Donald level which has always been unfair to ask of him. 

44 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

how many more years does Edmunds need to develop ?     

At least one at OLB, I think. Several of the guys mentioned are really playing out of their best positions.

Get a couple solid interior DLs and a monster MLB and we good to go.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, High Football IQ said:

I see people keep saying this but 2 things:

1) He played roughly 40% of the defensive snaps when in the lineup

2) We still had plenty of bad outings with him

Therefore the bigger issue here is the bad drafting and FA signings by Beane on the defensive side which have come full circle this past offseason with the likes of Norman, Klein, Butler, Jefferson, etc. Throw in huge first round misses in Oliver and Edmunds and it's not a bright future at all given the investments and commitments we've made.

The counterpoint here is that Buffalo has been a top three defense in the league for the past two years so there haven't been too many bad outings with him so you're completely wrong. 

I think the issues on defense largely stem from the line, which hasn't been good, but it's because of change going into the year with no TC or preseason. The only starter on the team this year on the line that was around last year is Hughes and they don't have a 1-tech. Injuries have also forced some of those newer guys in.

This offseason, they prioritized the offense.  The early draft capital was Diggs, AJ, Moss and Davis. Oh and they got Bass, who's the youngest kicker in the league and who's won 2 games for Buffalo so far. Next time around, they'll prioritize defense. 

Every acquisition on the offensive side of the ball except maybe Knox has contributed to some degree. The entire receiver room, Allen, Morse, Williams, Feliciano, and Ford are all Beane acquisitions as is the running backs.

Cody Ford can't find a position.  AJ is a project taken with a second round pick.  Edmunds is awful.  Oliver has regressed.  I know it will be unpopular but I think Allen is still a question mark.  Beat a top team on the road and you are "the man."  Not taking Mahomes is a historic mistake.  As bad as the Nets taking Sam Bowie over Michael Jordan.  Beane is a mess.

I assume most fans are probably fine with the state of the offense and this is really just about the defense. Maybe I've just forgotten but where were all the off season threads predicting doom and gloom for our defense? If it's such a horrible roster devoid of talent we must have all seen it coming right? 

I agree McBeane deserve criticism for how this has played out but I doubt anyone saw this level of drop off coming. It's still too early to call Edmunds and Oliver busts.

1 minute ago, TN Bills Fan said:

Cody Ford can't find a position.  AJ is a project taken with a second round pick.  Edmunds is awful.  Oliver has regressed.  I know it will be unpopular but I think Allen is still a question mark.  Beat a top team on the road and you are "the man."  Not taking Mahomes is a historic mistake.  As bad as the Nets taking Sam Bowie over Michael Jordan.  Beane is a mess.

What team are you really a fan of?

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, All I Need is Hope said:

I'll join the "pile on" party this evening...

Overall, Beane's drafting and FA handling are starting to show cracks... probable misses on high picks like Ford, Edmunds, Phillips, Joseph, maybe Knox.  Many good FA adds like Feliciano, Morse, Beasley, Brown; but several misses or marginal upgrades like Klein, potentially Norman, Spain, Murphy (jury's out on this year's crop - Butler, Addison).

Part of the results of the middle-of-the-pack GM performance is a linebacking group and dline that are bad, with terrible depth and few play makers/game changers on defense (other than Milano and Tre); and plays soft.  

Beane, by all accounts is a very bright and hard working GM, however, if I look closely at the roster and results, it's not as positive as I've been thinking for the last year plus.

Hard to take someone seriously when you mention Joseph a six round pick.  By year 3 only about 35% of six rounders are even still in the league.  You do remember Phillips was out last year with an ACL?

The LB group excluding Alexander who retired is the same as what finished 2nd was it overalll last year on defense??

One of the things that I thought was going to help the Bills this year was they brought back 18 1/2 starters from last year.  only changes were Diggs, Lorax and give them a 1/2 for Lawson and J Phillips as they weren't starters, but they did play a lot.

Overall they didn't sign that many FA, but many they did sign were all concentrated within one position group and they did change alot on the def line depth wise and that was before they lost Star.  They have 4 new players from last year plus Phillips who barely played last year.  Without any off season workouts, then no normal training camp and pre-season think it's made it hard for them to jell.  It may take awhile.

I do wonder in hindsight if Beane knew how the off-season was going to go, would he have instead tried to re-sign Lawson and/or Phillips mainly for continuity.  Though likely every GM would say the same.

1 minute ago, TN Bills Fan said:

Yeah cuz Mahomes would have been a stud under McDermott the same as he is under one of the most creative offensive minds in the NFL the past 20 years. 

13 minutes ago, Motor26 said:

Did people miss all the pressure Oliver was bringing on Cam today? 

The issue isn't pressure the issue is Ed is getting run over in the ground game because he is playing out of position most of the time. I think he can be an impactful player at the 3 tech but he isn't doing anyone favors at the 1.

3 minutes ago, TN Bills Fan said:

The Trail Blazers took Sam Bowie...

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

The issue isn't pressure the issue is Ed is getting run over in the ground game because he is playing out of position most of the time. I think he can be an impactful player at the 3 tech but he isn't doing anyone favors at the 1.

The Trail Blazers took Sam Bowie...

Thanks.  OOOps

The main thing a GM should be judged on is how he drafts.  I'm a believer that it takes about 3 years to properly judge a pick, and we should get at least 3 starting quality players in a normal draft class.  That number would need to be higher in a year with extra Day 1-2 picks.

It's hard for many Bills fans to criticize Brandon Beane, because he's the man behind our most successful run in over 20 years.  

But with the moment of truth coming for the 2018 class, the results are sadly starting to look less than thrilling. 

Yes, we were able to land a franchise QB in Josh Allen thanks to an extra pick from the previous year's draft, and trading away players like Cordy Glenn and Tyrod Taylor.  But our other prize pick from that class, Tremaine Edmunds, is quickly becoming a massive liability.  You can always recognize a failed pick when they don't get the 5th Year Option, and at this point I would be shocked if we activate his.  Harrison Phillips looked promising as a rookie, but hasn't contributed anything positive this year.  Taron Johnson and Levi Wallace have been awful this year.  Nobody else has even cracked the starting lineup.

Beane gets one more offseason before he will be forced to give Josh Allen $30 million+ per year (this year he only counts $5.8 million towards the cap for comparison).  Once that happens, our ability to re-sign talent and address holes in Free Agency will be significantly decreased.  The only way the Bills keep winning is by getting significant contributions from guys on rookie contracts.  There will be a time when we can't just trade/sign someone like Darryl Williams to start when a high pick like Cody Ford busts.  You actually have to get production out of Ford.

Edited by mjt328
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, TN Bills Fan said:

You are a Bills fan?  You might want to change your name on here. 

You also forgot the part where they made the playoffs 2x now under Beane and are 6-2 this year.

But I do appreciate the incessant negative take from fans like you. 

13 minutes ago, flmike said:

At least one at OLB, I think. Several of the guys mentioned are really playing out of their best positions.

Get a couple solid interior DLs and a monster MLB and we good to go.

Might be true.  It seems like there are 1-2 elite MLB available mid 1st every year.

Milano just seems too small to keep at a big number - the fact that he's frequently hurt shouldn't be a surprise.  Maybe move Edmunds to his spot and find a better run stuffer for MLB?

In fairness Edmunds isn't getting much help out there in front of him - an actual 1-technique DT could make all the difference by himself.  I'm kind of surprised they haven't taken a stab at one of the available ones.

Klein is an absolute disaster out there - he's not even acceptable depth.